• Show
Clear All
  • ballard770
    Established Member
    • Jan 2016
    • Washington State
    • Ryobi BT3000

BT3000 tilt problems, slot table,etc

I have an old BT3000 that i bought new over 20 years ago.
    I think that it is somewhere between an engineering marvel and a piece of crap but that being said I do use it and the primary reason for keeping it is the small footprint it takes and the fact that I don't want to pay several hundred dollars for another saw.

I was having a problem with the raising and lowering but a little bit of cleaning and repositioning of the shims took care of that. I didn't even have to remove the motor mount to reposition one shim that had slid up to the point where it was almost ready to fall off. I also checked for any accumulations of sawdust and chips inside the saw.

I am currently having trouble with the blade tilt mechanism and I can tilt the blade by pulling the wheel out and then cranking it. To get to zero degrees I usually have to push it the rest of the way by hand and then lock the mechanism with the lever. I pulled the clugth out and it looks OK. When I had the saw partially apart (dust cover removed) and the saw upside down I tried to tilt and the mechanism did move toward the fron ot the saw with the same motion as if I pulled the adj wheel out. It still doesn't tilt back to zero and there is a ratcheting sound like a slipping gear but i can't localize it. After pulling the wheel and handle and cam and putting it back together it doesn't want to tilt at all. I think that i need to reposition the handle, wheel and cam again. I did re-tighten the screw holding the handwheel but that didn't help.

I did contact Ryobi and spoke with Larry in Customer Service and he helped with some of it. I will call again to get further definition of the tilt mechanism. It appears that the spline on the inside of the cam may be worn to the point that it is slipping under pressure and that could be causing the ratcheing sound.

I may be buying a 'parts saw' that has a working tilt mechanism and cannibalize the two saws to get one that tilts and raises the blade. I figure that if i spend a little more than $100 on the parts saw and do the cannibalization I can sell on ebay enough of the parts, such as rails, fences, motor, etc to recoup my investment and even turn a little profit.

Any comments will be appreciated.

2nd subject:

I am planning on building a miter sled - I have three different plans that appear to be workable. They all call for setting the sliding miter fence up with runners to fit the standard slots in the saw base but as we all know there are no slots on the BT3000 unless we buy or build the slotted table insert. My gut feel is that I can set the slot to the right of the blade with the accessory table leaving an approx 3/4" gap for the runner attached to the bottom of the miter sled. On the right side i would set a similar gap with the sliding miter table. As long as I am counting on the saw table itself to be square and parallel I assume that by spacing the areas I mention I would retain that square/parallel situation - if not I am in trouble.

Or, I can buy one or two slot table inserts for about $75 on ebay or I have plans that I can use to build them allowing a slot on each side ot the blade.

I can also perhaps use the sliding miter table for the attachement point for the miter sled.

The reason for building a miter sled is that if it is properly done, once, the 45 degree setting will remain constant and it whould give perfect 90 degree picture frame corners as the mating corners are done on each side of the fence ensuring 90 degrees. Whatever miter sled I build I will have an indexing set-up so that I can make multiple cuts of the same length.

Any comments on either subject will be really appreciated.

Lee
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

When changing to bevel are you holding the lever all the way to the right? It generally will not stay there on its own. if it swings down you will not have full engagement of the bevel gear.

The blade and main table may or may not be parallel. Since on this saw everything references off the front rail but has to be adjusted so that they are parallel to the blade not necessarily perpendicular to the front rail. Fence, SMT, and accessory miter slot table.

Two solutions to miters:
    1) dial in the precision of the SMT
    2) install miter slots parallel to the blade.

Both work but not for all users.

Good luck and Welcome to Sawdustzone.org!
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

BW said When changing to bevel are you holding the lever all the way to the right? It generally will not stay there on its own. if it swings down you will not have full engagement of the bevel gear.
      and that is correct.

Also the saw blade and motor is NOT guaranteed (and most likely won't be) to be parallel to the physical table edges. The saw innovatively allows the saw to be at an arbitrary angle and the rip fence and SMT are both adjusted w.r.t. the fixed rails. I think this is covered in my FAQ.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Below is a link for the bevel problem in which it will not lock into position properly. From reading your problem, it sounds a bit different from what the link solves.

For me, and in the link above, it was a two part solving. One was tightening the locking lever, the other was the position of the cam. Read the whole thread. There are clarifications by different ones as you read down the list. If you discover somethings else or a better clarification, please let us know.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• ballard770
          Established Member
          • Jan 2016
          • Washington State
          • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks guys,

The link that Hank Lee sent me is just what I was looking for - thanks Hank. I had spent a long time on the forum looking for 'BT3000', 'BT3000' tilt etc but I didn't look for 'bevel jump' which is where I think I can nail my problem.

I did notice the very small set screw on the locking lever when I removed the lever last night before coming in to grill some Mahi Mahi and have a martini so I didn't get back to it.. I had thought it wasn't that critical to tilting the blade. I can see how it can lose contact as the inside looks like a 12 point socket that has some wear on it. Additionally, I removed the cam last night and when I re-inserted it the whole thing didn't work so I will follow one of the responses to turn it 90 degrees at a time until it hopefuly lines up. The manual didn't really give any hint of what to do. As soon as I have another cup of coffee and finish my email and web surfing I will go out to the garage and tweak the saw.

Right now i am also dealing with the adjustable miter table with two issues:

1) I can't remove the adjustment clamp but I am still working on that
          2) The pivot (item 3 on exploded parts diagram) is missing. I was going to try to make one but then i called Ryobi and I found out that they are in stock - for $0.88 which is a great price except for the $6.00 S&H that they add on. I didn't order as I am going to check for other missing parts, such as the rail end caps, etc and then the S&H will be spead among several items. I will probably order an extra pivot as it appears to be an item that can get lost even though there is a screw in the bottom of the miter fence that should retain it on the fence. I had thought that i wouldn't bother with replacing the rail end caps but about three days ago when removing the saw from the stand, etc I raised up from a kneeling postition and I got a nasty gash on my forehead.

Lee

Comment

• ballard770
            Established Member
            • Jan 2016
            • Washington State
            • Ryobi BT3000

I just resolved items 1 and 2 for the adjustable miter table

1) I was able to remove the adjustment clamp and then i pried the miter fence from the sliding table and lo and behold
            2) the pivot was not lost, it was just stuck in the slot on the underside of the fence.

I am now able to move the miter table and the fence is working with the sliding pivot in the proper place.

It's amazing what a little investigation and a little bit of pressure and prying (heavy tweaking) will do.

Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ballard770
              I just resolved items 1 and 2 for the adjustable miter table

1) I was able to remove the adjustment clamp and then i pried the miter fence from the sliding table and lo and behold
              2) the pivot was not lost, it was just stuck in the slot on the underside of the fence.

I am now able to move the miter table and the fence is working with the sliding pivot in the proper place.

It's amazing what a little investigation and a little bit of pressure and prying (heavy tweaking) will do.

Lee
              The little black pivot is amazingly effective!
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...