X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sawmonkey
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2005

Handles

I've had my BT3100 saw in storage for 5 years, and I just started using it again last weekend. Its still in great condition, except for the handles on the saw adjustment and fence. Being rubber, they must have leaked chemicals over time causing them to be sticky. Does anyone know where I can purchase new handles?
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

I think most hardware suppliers sell handles of one type or another, whether or not they'd fit the thread sizes for the BT is another matter. You could check locally, or some places like Woodcraft, Rockler, or Lee-Valley.

But if you want actual 'replacement' parts for the BT, check with their parts department, Sears parts, or others. (Just do a Google search for "Ryobi Parts".)

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• sawmonkey
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by cwsmith
      I think most hardware suppliers sell handles of one type or another, whether or not they'd fit the thread sizes for the BT is another matter. You could check locally, or some places like Woodcraft, Rockler, or Lee-Valley.

But if you want actual 'replacement' parts for the BT, check with their parts department, Sears parts, or others. (Just do a Google search for "Ryobi Parts".)

CWS
      Thanks. I will probably have to buy some generic handles/knobs.

I havent been on this forum in a long time. What happen to all of the BT3XXX related threads?

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by sawmonkey
        I havent been on this forum in a long time. What happen to all of the BT3XXX related threads?
        They are all still there. When you go into the forum, scroll down to the bottom of the page and there are settings for "Thread Display Option" If you change the "Show Threads From" option to "Beginning"

You can also make this setting global for your user id by going into "Settings" at the top of the page and then clicking on "General Settings"
        Chr's

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Lowes has a fair selection of knobs and handles in their nut and bolt drawers. You might have to look for them because their help may not have ever opened the drawers up to see what's in them! It is surprising what is hid in these drawers! Do like I do, start at one end and open ever drawer, it's like Christmas! All kind of hardware for a lot of different things I didn't know I needed!
          capncarl.

Comment

• sawmonkey
            Forum Newbie
            • Dec 2005

Thanks for the replies everyone. Since I haven't run this in 5+ years, is there any maintenance I should do before using? I bought some dry graphite lube, since the rails do not slide very well. I need to give them a good cleaning, soap/water should be good enough.

Comment

• Turaj
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
              • BT3000 (1998)

I suggest you check the belts and make sure they are not dried up! You may want to turn the blade by hand (SAW UNPLUGGED) to make sure the blade is free to rotate and belts are OK.
              Turaj (in Toronto)
              "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Blade adjustment handle is part A181014002, and fence handle is A181010227. You can find these at the Ryobi (Gardner) site: http://ryobitools.arinet.com/scripts/EmpartISAPI.dll?MF

You can also find them at eReplacementparts.com here: http://www.ereplacementparts.com/ryo...yYAaApqL8P8HAQ
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by sawmonkey
                  Thanks for the replies everyone. Since I haven't run this in 5+ years, is there any maintenance I should do before using? I bought some dry graphite lube, since the rails do not slide very well. I need to give them a good cleaning, soap/water should be good enough.
                  if you mean the rails of the sliding miter table then a degrease/clean/lube would be good. DO NOT lube the main rails that the fence clamps to it will impeded solid clamping.
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• Pappy
                    The Full Monte
                    • Dec 2002
                    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 (x2)

Fence handle

Buy the official Ryobi Fence Locking Handle A181010227 replacement - Use our model diagrams, repair help, and video tutorials to help get the job done.

Adjusting wheel

Buy the official Ryobi Handwheel Assembly . A182014001 replacement - Use our model diagrams, repair help, and video tutorials to help get the job done.
                    Last edited by Pappy; 11-03-2015, 10:48 PM.
                    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                    Fools because they have to say something.
                    Plato

Comment

• geopilot
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Lexington, KY, USA.

I have a used like new BT3100 handwheel (black and yellow) free for the price of shipping. Send me a PM with your ZIP and I'll get the cost.
                      Dave

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Just clean the rails and slides. don't lube them, it will cause problems locking the rip fence to the rails later!
                        If the rip fence is not sliding sideways, clean the roller in the rear and make sure the locking mechanism from the front locking handles is working smoothly and releasing the locking clamp that grabs the rear rail when locked.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jabe
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Hilo, Hawaii
                          • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I used an wood handle from my old golf umbrella, bolted it to the wheel. Since the hole in the handle is larger than the bolt, it'll rotate on the bolt when U crank the wheel, works great and stronger than the plastic original handle.

Comment

• gjat
                            • Nov 2005
                            • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                            • BT3100

Sticky handle remedy -
                            I go through long periods I don't use the saw or some tools, and I've had the same issue. I resolved mine by first spaying with copious amounts of windex and scubbing with an old, used, green nylon scubbie that wasn't too abrasive. I rinsed and let it dry for a few days. I re-washed again with standard hand soap and paper towel. They're good as new. My theory is the petro-chemicals leach out and build up over time, possibly oxidizing as well. The two step washing process cleans the chemical residue, and the hand soap I think has emollients or something that sort of re-nourishes the finish. Completely un-scientific, YMMV, but it works for me.
                            Last edited by gjat; 09-21-2016, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Working...