Anyone have the helicoil tap to fix stripped height adj.?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fitzhugh
    Handtools only
    • Jun 2014
    • Berkeley
    • 3 Shopsmiths and a bt3000

Anyone have the helicoil tap to fix stripped height adj.?

1st post here

Does anyone have the tap from doing the actual helicoil or permacoil repair? One they only needed that once that they would sell? Even with returning the wrong size tap and drill (see below) I'm running up toward my budget on this, what with a decent blade, a replacement gaurd, mount for it, etc.
    I ordered the correct drill bit, but the odd tap size is $50 or so.

I recently picked up a bt3000 with a stripped hole for the height adjuster on the motor mount. II failed to find the thread pitch listed online and took the rod to the local fastenal, where they measured it as m14-2. I ordered ez-loc inserts there and a drill and tap to match online, only to see the correct pitch I'd overlooked - apparently it's 9/16-12!
    Not only that, the ez-loc have a larger enough OD I was already concerned about wall strength.

Regardless, thank you for the great information here.
    Fitzhugh
  • fitzhugh
    Handtools only
    • Jun 2014
    • Berkeley

I found a nos on eBay for a few dollars, so never mind on the request. However, if anyone needs one pm me, I'll mail you the drill, tap and the 5 extra inserts I had to buy to get one. I rather doubt I'll have routine use for them.

Now to go hunt down some shims...

Comment

• thereefgeek
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2008
      • Isleton, CA
      • BT-3000

Sorry I didn't see this yesterday. I fixed my stripped height adjustment threads a couple years ago, and I also am holding onto the tap, insert tool, and a few spare Heli-Coil inserts I don't need any more. I'm not too far from you and was actually planning a trip to MacBeath's early next week.

Comment

• fitzhugh
        Handtools only
        • Jun 2014
        • Berkeley

I saw one cheap enough that I decided to go ahead. I had already purchased the drill bit before thinking of asking. Thank you, though.

Be aware of MacBeath's hours. Their closing time is precision calibrated to right when I realize I need something. Or maybe it's 4:30 m-f and 3:00 sat, closed Sunday, which amounts to the same thing. You probably know this but driving that ways only to find them shut.
        Also check out the Woodbank if you haven't already. I've seen a big growth in what they stock. A lot less sheet goods, now an amazing amount of large live edge slabs and a lot of reclaimed wood in some large sizes. They also have the expected domestic and exotics. For absolute range if species Macbeath wins, but for a wider variety of interesting pieces and, to be honest, friendliness, the Woodbank wins handily. I always felt out of my element at Macbeath as a relative novice while I've had employees take a lot of time helping, giving me a tour, etc. I tend to go on the weekend when it is less busy, though, and it is less busy. I'm lucky to be close to them.

Thanks again!

Comment

• jlhumbert
          Forum Newbie
          • Jul 2015
          • Palatka, FL
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by fitzhugh
          I found a nos on eBay for a few dollars, so never mind on the request. However, if anyone needs one pm me, I'll mail you the drill, tap and the 5 extra inserts I had to buy to get one. I rather doubt I'll have routine use for them.

One of my shims was missing when I purchased my BT3000, so I purchased the parts below, from eReplacementparts.com, and followed the instructions in this post: http://www.sawdustzone.org/showthrea...0-Shim-Upgrade
          It is a very simple upgrade so don't let the very detailed post scare you off. Doing this simple upgrade will make your BT3000 (blade raising and lowering) like new again. I was very happy I followed "crokett's" advice.

Here are the parts I ordered from eReplacementparts.com (I didn't need the rear shims, but I ordered them just to have spares).
          2 x Shim (969600001) = $3.98
          2 x Shim (0181010314) = $3.98
          1 x Guide Holder (0181010110) = $17.80

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by fitzhugh

It was not that long ago that I read of someone bending their own shims. Either that or My own brother did that for his saw.
            Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...