X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • canada_gord
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2010

zero clearance insert

I want to make my own zero clearance inserts for my BT3000, but the ends of the insert have to be so thin at each end to be level with the table, that there is not enough wood left to hold the screws effectively.

I see that there are 4 "tabs" located lower in the cavity, that appear to be threaded ... does anyone know what size screws fit into those holes ... it would allow for more thickness to hold the screws

Any advice would be appreciated ... thanks in advance
    Last edited by canada_gord; 06-14-2015, 10:55 AM.
  • Brian G
    • Jun 2003
    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
    • G0899

They are #10-24, the same as the other holes used to secure the throat insert.
    Brian

Comment

• JimD
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2003
      • Lexington, SC.

I use 3/8 thick scraps of hardwood flooring. My favorite is pre-finished engineered. I've just cut a hunk off a 2x4 too. I use the 4 threaded holes to fasten them on. The ends have to be rabbeted. I use them all the time. The slot opens up but they still work fine for most purposes.

Comment

• canada_gord
        Handtools only
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Brian G
        They are #10-24, the same as the other holes used to secure the throat insert.

Thank you, I had tried #10-24's but they were so tight to start that I wasn't sure they were the proper fit. Got them in and all is good.

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

I have made solid wood ZCTP out of oak with good results and just using the 3 screw attachment. It really does not take much to hold the plate. I have also used UHMW and purchased from SharkGuard lexan and another uhmw plastic material.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• RAV2
            Established Member
            • Aug 2007
            • Massachusetts

I purchased these for my Craftsman clone and they work excellent - come with screws also:

This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

Comment

• Turaj
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
              • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by canada_gord
              Thank you, I had tried #10-24's but they were so tight to start that I wasn't sure they were the proper fit. Got them in and all is good.
              Are you sure they are threaded all the way? I believe those tabs in some of the earlier version were not threaded. If I remember correctly, I had to thread those tabs before using them.

In fact, I just checked my OEM package of ZCTP and it comes with what the manual calls "1" long Tread Cutting Screw". The thread is, as Brian said, the same as the other holes.
              Turaj (in Toronto)
              "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• canada_gord
                Handtools only
                • Jan 2010

[QUOTE=Turaj;537938]Are you sure they are threaded all the way? I believe those tabs in some of the earlier version were not threaded. If I remember correctly, I had to thread those tabs before using them.

That could be the answer, I did get them in all the way, but it was difficult, perhaps I forced them, got some filings... don't imagine I will be taking them out often, most cuts I do are 90 degrees, don't have dado blades so will be a rare occasion when I have to change plates

Don't know the age of my saw, bought it at an auction sale several years ago.

Thanks to everyone for advice/help

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

You might as well take the insert out and tap the holes while you have it on your mind! You will be amazed at the times you have to take the zero clearance plate out.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Turaj
                    Are you sure they are threaded all the way? I believe those tabs in some of the earlier version were not threaded. If I remember correctly, I had to thread those tabs before using them.

In fact, I just checked my OEM package of ZCTP and it comes with what the manual calls "1" long Tread Cutting Screw". The thread is, as Brian said, the same as the other holes.

Yes, I'm pretty sure the four hole set required a bit of user threading before they became nice and smooth. I think they gave you a thread cutting screw with the ZCTP kit or you could use your own 10-24 tap to do so.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Turaj
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                      • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by canada_gord
                      Don't know the age of my saw, bought it at an auction sale several years ago.
                      Not that it make any difference but take a look at the last 4 digits of the serial number. It tells you the year and the week of the manufacturing (9538 means week 38 in 1995).
                      Turaj (in Toronto)
                      "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

Working...