• Show
Clear All
  • PartTimeHack
    Forum Newbie
    • Mar 2015
    • TN
    • Ryobi BT3000

A couple of questions..

1) I am trying to decide whether to put up some old kitchen cabinets in the shop or just get rid of them.
    If I do install them, how high do you guys normally put the wall units? I was looking in the area of around 60" to the bottom of the upper shelf units. (They are standard dimensions, 42" wide by about 12" deep, etc...) The bottom units seem pervasively deep for a shop, so I may just discard or find an alternate use for them. Still thinking about that after looking at them in place against the wall.

2) I need to clean and polish the BT3000. I see the FAQ on the polishing the rails and top plates, but what have you found is the best "stuff" for cleaning them?

Thanks in advance.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I think 60" to the bottom of cabinet is a bit high unless you're really tall or need the space beneath them and are ok not being able to reach the top shelf. The standard in the US is 54"

I've alway's cleaned my BT3 with simple green followed by a coule coats of Johnson's paste wax. Once it is nice and clean, stay away from any lubricants or automotive waxes that contain silicone. It will mess up any finish you put on the wood.
    Chr's

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Unless for some reason they are really dirty, I usually just use mineral spirits to get any oils etc off the surface. I then give another vote for paste wax on the top and side of the rip fence.

Do make sure you remember your blades can use a clean and lube once in a while too
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• PartTimeHack
        Forum Newbie
        • Mar 2015
        • TN
        • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks gentlemen. What depth from the wall do you find is most appropriate for a cabinet base? I have a small shop. Only about 11' x 17' or so.
        Just setting it up, so I'm trying to minimize mistakes and incorporate some things others have done so I'm not 'reinventing the wheel' or making double-work for myself.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I don't have any base cabinets in my current shop ... just haven't gotten that far. I like them about 16" deep so I don't end up with tools behind tools. That's my preference and my two brothers in law that are also woodworkers think it weird.
          Chr's

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

When space allows, I like the normal 24 inch deep cabinets. On one side of my shop garage I don't have 2 feet before I am into the garage door opening. I have about 16 inches, maybe 18. Even so, I plan to have cabinets about 2 feet deep because I want to put my CMS and RAS on that side of the garage and that's about what it takes to support them. They will be about 10 feet into the garage so a short car would almost fit before you get to the wider cabinets. The door opening is also 9 feet so I shouldn't need the full width. On the other side, I have closer to 3 feet. I plan a rolling workbench 30 inches or so wide by 6 feet long. It will also be my cutting station for sheetgoods using my track saw.

It would seem like you could have 2 feet width if you want. It is a decent width.

Comment

Working...