X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickv99
    Handtools only
    • Jan 2014

Replacing BT3000 motor bearings

My BT3000 (15amp) suddenly got very noisy when running, so I've gone over some great articles on arbor bearings and shims, but could not find any on replacing the bearings on the motor armature (keys 12 and 15 on motor assy drawing). I can't get the armature assy out of the holder (key 11), so I wonder if the armature pulley should be unthreaded from the armature. Is the bearing (12) pressed into the holder? If so, can it be removed by tapping on the armature pulley? As an aside, I found a source for BANDO 106H belts at :

They are $34 for 2 belts.

Rick
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Are you sure it's bearings? I lost a motor this past summer, and it was a failure of the armature itself. Symptoms were very noisy, and reduced speed (along with some ozone odor).

Some Googling at the time indicated this was a pretty common failure mode of those motors.

Comment

• rickv99
      Handtools only
      • Jan 2014

Replacing BT3000 motor bearings

Comparing the two motor drawings, I can see that I really have a 13A motor, in spite of the specs table on the front cover of the manual that says 15A. I think the problem is with the armature bearing because i have the armature out of the housing and when I turn it (with bearing #3 rotating), it feels rough. I think that since I have it this far apart, I will replace the motor bearings, arbor bearings and the 2 belts.

Comment

• rickv99
        Handtools only
        • Jan 2014

Finished replacing motor bearings

Thanks to all the great help I found here, I have finished replacing the bearings in my 13 Amp motor. I found that the entire motor/arbor assembly is fairly easy to remove so that the belts can be removed and replaced on the bench. To do this, just remove the hardware on the top of the elevating screw, tilt the arbor to 45 degrees. and elevate until the motor/arbor come off at the top. Also, my arbor pulley is a little different than the one described by Big Tim in his article on replacing the arbor bearings. My pulley has a solid center with no openings between 4 spokes. I decided not to replace the arbor bearings anyway, so no problem (knock on your favorite wood). Thanks to all.

Rick

Comment

Working...