X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atxmike
    Handtools only
    • Dec 2014

motor thoughts, maybe replaced

so, i was building some subwoofer cabinets and i started to get some on and off and i jiggled the motor ac cord and it would restart, three quarters the way thru the project it was dead. read the forum and it was suggested to plug the motor straight to power to determine if it was a switch problem or a motor problem. well, i'll be dipped....straight to power and nothing from the motor. it is a near first gen model so i suppose not too surprised, but i was not dogging it and i smelt no giveawy burn smell. so, i checked a bit and i am not finding too much on the motor replacement or if there are still shops that will rebuild... suggestions?
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

if there's no burnt smell you may not have toasted the windings.
    Did you check the brushes at all? The brushes may be hard to get for the older saw but you can actually make some.

Check continuity of wiring and connectors.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-26-2014, 01:33 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mmcmac
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by atxmike
      i jiggled the motor ac cord and it would restart, three quarters the way thru the project it was dead.
      My thought as well would be of worn motor brushes -- not a bad idea at this point to check the level of wear in any case. However jiggling of the cord having an effect seems inconsistent with this cause and could be conductor breakage at the cord strain relief in the housing or one of the wire nuts (#26) working loose if they are indeed wire nuts and not compression connectors.

Incidentally the early motor housing (#18) certainly appears to have been leveraged from what was a current production left-hand side blade sidewinder circular saw, given the unused pivot arm molded into the housing. I seem to recall motors in several saws at that time to have been marketed with a "13A motor" feature bullet.
      Last edited by mmcmac; 12-28-2014, 07:44 PM. Reason: add detail, fix typo

Comment

Working...