• Show
Clear All
  • vaking
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

Earl/Ben,
    SMT gives you about 14" from the fence on SMT to the blade. If you are planning to use SMT for crosscuts and miter cuts on real wood (like making picture frames) - 14" is plenty. But if you are planning to use BT to cut sheet goods - 14" is a joke. Some people here modified their SMT - they drilled an extra hole for the fence pin and moved the fence to the back of the sliding table. This gives you something like 22" to the blade. In my opinion - this is not a worthy modification. You will be better off installing t-tracks on your saw and making a cross-cutting sled. With the sled you can easily cut 24" wide pieces of plywood.
    My saw setup has similarities with Mark's setup (Black Walnut). I also have a full set of extended rails which gives me ability to place my rip fence 66" to the right of the blade. To be honest - I would not do that again if I were to redo my setup. For the table saw I don't really need extended rails. I do have T-slots on both sides of the blade and I have a good crosscutting sled riding in those T-slots, so I do use entire table surface to the right when I use the sled but rails I don't need to extend beyond 24" even though I have them. Similarly to Mark I also have a router table to the right of the saw - between the extended rails. My router table has its own fence and it does not attach to a rip fence on the saw, so I don't really use rail extensions for the router either. I don't regret making a large surface for the saw/router table but extending rails that far was unnecessary.
    Alex V

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Originally posted by poolhound
      Mark, I like the outfeed table you have there. When I finally get moved into my new shop that is one early project for me. Does it also do duty as a general bench and assembly table? What is the construction of the top is it a torsion box?
      yes to all to the above. The top is a torsion box with an easily replaceable masonite top. I have a wood vise at one end. Somewhere is a post with all the details and more pics. If I can find it I'll post the link.http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...=outfeed+table
      Last edited by Black wallnut; 12-26-2014, 01:02 PM.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

Working...