• Show
Clear All
  • biologyben
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2007
    • WV
    • Craftsman 21829

Saw cabinet

I'm finally at the point that I can think about taking my trusty (8+ years old) Craftsman 21829 off its mobile base and build a permanent cabinet for it - my first modification. I bought it primarily for the stand and SMT. I've not used it much, (just for some rough carpentry and little projects) but now that the house is mostly settled and I have a daughter, I'd like to get my shop arranged to make more finished projects -- you know, the ones that eventually get painted or stained.

I'm curious both on how everyone has their saw cabinets setup as well as what your recommendations would be if you were in my shoes.

My shop area will be under the garage so it's slightly smaller than 20'x20'. It's long enough to cut 8' lumber in the space, but will be a pain if anything is in the way. Thus, I intend to keep the walls clear from about table saw height to 18" above. The ceiling is steel with 2' deep open web metal trusses on 30" centers, so the open area is 7' but the height in between trusses in large part is 9' - probably will be a little less if I'm able to add some insulation up there. Also, I'm 6'4" and will be building *all* the tabletops a bit higher than standard. the only entrance/exit is one 45' corner that's just at 36" with no door - I may also 'aim' the saw toward this to help with long stock.

I'll likely build an Ultimate Tool Stand that will double as outfeed support for the saw (and possibly modified to accommodate dust collection I'd like to ensure that anything built will be mobile enough to reconfigure the shop area and also be able to pass out a 36" opening just in case. Nothing needs to be ultramobile - I wont be traveling with it - just contingency planning.

As I'm considering the saw cabinet, I realize that I often like to work with extra space with the SMT on the left side of the saw, but I also realize that most right handed people seem to prefer the long fence/rails on the right. My saw has 48" rails in total, and with them set to use the ruler, I have 30" of capacity on the right, and only just enough room for the SMT on the left.

I'd also like to add at least one T-slot primarily for jigs and feather-board use (For instance, I have a tenoning jig like this.) perhaps even one slot on either side.

If I am to build a cabinet for this saw, I'd like to not move the rails any, if ever. However, I've gotten into a bad habit of using the flexibility of the saw and reconfigure it on a whim and not sure what is 'best'

So, what is your opinion - Rails long on left or right? Extended rail set or no? How many T-slots & where? Any defacto 'standard' plans that work for most everyone to use as a starting point?

Anyone want to show off what your saw sits on?
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

The shop built cabinet is a nice addition to the saw. There have been several featured on this site. Someone that knows where they are should chime in and point you to them. I don't know if I'd build them as big as some have as your 20x20 will close in pretty quickly. You need 16 foot to rip 8' lumber, and the saw may not be in the center of the shop all the time, so it needs to be moble. Outfeed tables are something important, but I've not seen the ideal one yet. I've built an outfeed table on a Ridgid SLM cart that kinda fits the planer, jointer and drum sander as well.
    Attached Files

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Ben, here is a pic of mine. It was made back in 2009 and I am pretty happy with it with the only exception being that it should have had a more heavy duty mobile base solution. I had been operating out of my 2 car garage and it needed to be wheeled away from its storage position every time which was a pain. I am in the process of creating a dedicated shop (13x17) so once its in there I hope it wont be moving much at all!

I created a step by step diary of the build which you can see in this thread.

This forum is the place to ask questions about a project you are working on or are planning.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
        Ben, here is a pic of mine. It was made back in 2009 and I am pretty happy with it with the only exception being that it should have had a more heavy duty mobile base solution. I had been operating out of my 2 car garage and it needed to be wheeled away from its storage position every time which was a pain. I am in the process of creating a dedicated shop (13x17) so once its in there I hope it wont be moving much at all!

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=44265&page=5
        What size are your extended rails?
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• biologyben
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2007
          • WV
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by poolhound

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=44265&page=5
          Interesting- did you abandon the SMT or do you leave them off until needed and swap with the router table insert?

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
            What size are your extended rails?
            They are extra half rails so that's a total of about 67" I think and I can cut up to 40 ish right of the blade.
            Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Originally posted by biologyben
              Interesting- did you abandon the SMT or do you leave them off until needed and swap with the router table insert?
              The big limitation with the SMT is the distance before the blade and I abandoned my SMT a long time back. Once I got the miter slots I built various sleds for cross cutting and panels and they are far easier and more accurate. As you suggested I did keep one to use if necessarily but I think thats only happened once in the last 5 years when I needed to cut some strange angle. As it happens I have a plan for an adjustable angle sled and just waiting for a reason to make it.
              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

• EarltheWoodbutcher
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2014
                • Tucson, AZ
                • BT 3000

Originally posted by biologyben
                And here I am new to the site trying to figure out how I can make the SMT work. If I have to abandon it, not sure the saw is worth putting more money into it. We'll see. I'm sure enjoying learning more about it...and I love a challenge.

Comment

• vaking
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2005
                  • Montclair, NJ, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3100-1

Earl,
                  I think you need a little perspective. How you make different cuts depends on what tools are available to you. SMT (Sliding miter table) is a table saw attachment which allows you make accurate crosscuts. CMS (Compound miter saw) or SCMS (Sliding compound miter saw) are major saws dedicated to crosscuts. If I need to make a mitered cut on a 8 foot long molding - I would rather do it by lowering the blade on CMS than by moving an 8-foot-long work-piece on a table saw. There is nothing wrong with SMT, it is just the fact that for this function dedicated major saw is better than a table saw attachment.
                  In general - there are several popular types of big saws. There are table saws, miter saws, band saws, panel saws. Miter saw and panel saw are one-trick ponies. Miter saw does crosscuts well but it cannot make rip cuts, curved cuts or cut sheet goods. Panel saw cuts sheet goods but nothing else, band saw is good for rip and curved cuts. Table saw cannot make curved cuts but it can make everything else, so it is kind of a swiss army knife of major saws. That is why most woodworking shops (in US) begin with table saws but as the shop gets built up and more tools are added - table saw sees less use because dedicated tools take over frequent functions. It means you don't need to abandon SMT, you will chose to use it less when you get other tools.
                  Alex V

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I used to have extension rails and a large mobile cabinet for my BT3100. But then I got a track saw and decided I didn't want to do big rips on the table saw any more. So I took off the extension rails and made the base smaller so it takes up less space. My mobile base is on totally locking casters. It has 3 and will ultimately have four drawers below the saw. The saw is on a hinged panel so it can be tilted up for cleaning - which is very handy. The drawers hold extra blades, wrenches, screwdrivers, zero clearance throat plates, push sticks, and other things for the saw. There is a router table setup in the extension table.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JimD
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2003
                        • Lexington, SC.

You might enjoy this article.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Black wallnut
                          cycling to health
                          • Jan 2003
                          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                          • BT3k 1999

FWIW I patterned mine after Sam's.
                          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• EarltheWoodbutcher
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Tucson, AZ
                            • BT 3000

Originally posted by vaking
                            Earl,
                            I think you need a little perspective. How you make different cuts depends on what tools are available to you. SMT (Sliding miter table) is a table saw attachment which allows you make accurate crosscuts.
                            I do know what you mean. When I retired I outfitted myself with a great little shop with most of the saws you are talking about. Then I went on the road, full-timing in my RV for several years. Now I'm off the road, in a small retirement community with what may be the largest shop in the world: 4'x15' (a former storage room)! And to date, that includes a table top bandsaw, a scroll saw, a table top drill press and my table saw, a workbench and a small carving table. So my challenge is to make every tool do as much as possible. I can roll the saw out into the garage or driveway to do bigger projects. So I'm just looking for the best way to get the most out of the BT3k. But at the ripe ol' age of 75 I don't want to invest the money I had in my previous shop!

Comment

• poolhound
                              Veteran Member
                              • Mar 2006
                              • Phoenix, AZ
                              • BT3100

Mark, I like the outfeed table you have there. When I finally get moved into my new shop that is one early project for me. Does it also do duty as a general bench and assembly table? What is the construction of the top is it a torsion box?

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                              FWIW I patterned mine after Sam's.
                              Jon

techzibits.com

Comment

Working...