• Show
Clear All
  • tkarlmann
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Hoffman Estates, IL, USA.
    • BT3100

What is a NIB BT3100 worth today?

Hi guys! I am going to sell all my BT3100 saws & accessories. I have one working saw, used lightly; everything is working -- no mods made to it; and another complete saw NIB -- never opened. What is the best way to proceed? What $$ should I expect? Should I sell as complete saws or "Part out"?

I am new at selling stuff -- assistance appreciated.
    Last edited by tkarlmann; 09-02-2012, 01:07 PM.
    Thom
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by tkarlmann
    Hi guys! I am going to sell all my BT3100 saws & accessories. I have one working saw, used lightly; everything is working -- no mods made to it; and another complete saw NIB -- never opened. I need $. What is the best way to proceed? What $$ should I expect?
    Whatever you can get someone to pay. It's tough to set a price, but a couple of data points:

The current Craftsman version can be bought on sale for $250 - $300. One "rule of thumb" is half of retail, suggesting a price in the range of $125 to $150.

On Craigs list the saws sell for $50 - $100, judging by personal purchases and the price reductions posted by sellers before the ads disappear.

Personally, I'd pay around $75 for a NIB or very good condition BT3X.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Cochese
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by woodturner
      Whatever you can get someone to pay. It's tough to set a price, but a couple of data points:

The current Craftsman version can be bought on sale for $250 - $300. One "rule of thumb" is half of retail, suggesting a price in the range of $125 to $150.

On Craigs list the saws sell for $50 - $100, judging by personal purchases and the price reductions posted by sellers before the ads disappear.

Personally, I'd pay around $75 for a NIB or very good condition BT3X.
      I'll politely disagree with some of this. I've only seen the 21829 dip below $300 once, and that was when I bought it two years ago. And even then, it was a fluke of coupon codes. I subscribe to all the Craftsman Club emails and fliers, and haven't seen it dip below $375 through advertised rates. If someone scored one south of that number, I'd want to know what their 'in' was. Not posted on here for sure.

That said, it may or may not influence going rates for the saw used, and more than that it varies by location. Typical BTs around here I see advertised at $150 and up, which makes what I would pay for one higher than woodturner would. NIB? I'd be willing to go as high as $175-$200 possibly, if I were in the market. It's all relative.
      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Dal300
        Banned
        • Aug 2011
        • East Central Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I got my used BT3100 down in Austin for $50. It had every bell and whistle available for it plus lots of extras, most of the boxes hadn't been opened.

I tend to agree with the first answer, I've seen the Craftsman clones on sale for under $250 and although they have some updates I like, I wouldn't pay that much for one.

Your NIB saw should be worth about half so the $125 is about right. I Would be happy to give you $75 for your used one and pay shipping if you break it down to original shipping size. LOL.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Price depends on motivations of the buyer and seller at least in significant part as well as competition at the time.

the current Sears 21829 does go on sale but I don't think you can often find it for 250 to 300 as claimed altho I haven't been looking. For it to be a benchmark at $250 the sale price has to be frequent enough to make it likely to be bought at that price in competiton to buying a used or old saw.

Probably the best indication of sale prices would be sales on Craigslist and that would seem to range from $50 to $150 for used saws. Again the range has to do with how quickly the owner want to be rid of the saw as well as the condition.

COnditionwise a NIB saw would put it to the top of the price range - no stains, no gouges, no cuts in the fence etc.
          A new in box also indicates the blade should be sharp and all the pieces there and all undamaged, unscratched, but the warranty is effectively over - no warranty. So NIB BT3100 would seem to me bear an addiitional premium of say $25-50 over a clean saw - so $125 to $200 depending on the motivation of the seller.

That's my analysis.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-02-2012, 05:31 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tkarlmann
            Established Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Hoffman Estates, IL, USA.
            • BT3100

Part out = better?

I have heard about of lot of you "parting these saws out". Please comment on this.

I have:

One BT3100 NIB -- means exactly that -- not even the mfr tape is broken. It has never been opened.
            One lightly used BT3100 -- absolutely everything works as it did day 1. I can break the saw down completely, but I no longer have the styrofoam bits to put the parts in. The blade on this saw cuts extremely well.
            (4) Miter tables with all hardware & shims. (one set of shims has holes in 2 or 4 of the shims -- to fit under the miter table, adhesive backing still on)
            All instruction manuals for everything.
            I have 1 accessory kit -- never used.
            There may be more once I look around.

Please Note: This is as I say it is. I say this because I acutally spoke to someone in my area selling a used BT3100 -- he was a contractor who had left it outside and was selling it "as-is". It looked like junk. THIS IS NOT THE TYPE OF STUFF I HAVE!!

How best to proceed?
            Thom

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

Your NIB is going to have more appeal and will be easier to sell than parting that one out, IMO. Whether it will gain you less or more money is not up to me to sell.

Parting out the other one could be easier than parting it out, or the NIB, just because someone can come along and test it. Depends on the buyer, it's a crapshoot. If you have another, better blade it might be worth having on it to do a demonstration.

If you had a dual-slot miter table, you could have had that part sold right now.

Comment

• chopnhack
                Veteran Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Florida
                • Ryobi BT3100

Well, Thom, how to best proceed depends on how much time and energy you want to invest in selling off these tools.

Parting out may end up netting out more money, but you will have to invest some serious time moving all the pieces. The lucrative pieces will move with some effort, followed by the items that have lesser demand. Motor, tables, rails - those would probably go first, etc.

As a member you can post your sale in our members classified as well as trying your luck on ebay and craigslist.

HTH
                I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Knottscott
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2004
                  • Rochester, NY.
                  • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

To me, NIB without warranty or return privileges is the same as used in mint condition, but with the disadvantage of having never been run. I like "new" in theory, but would really rather see it run before I buy it if it's not from a store. I'd think you could ask $200.
                  Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• woodturner
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2008
                    • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                    If someone scored one south of that number, I'd want to know what their 'in' was. Not posted on here for sure.
                    I posted my purchase on here a while ago. Sale price of $287 is not frequent, but they seem to run a similar sale once or twice a year.
                    Use this forum to post info about a great bargain you have found on any woodworking related item. Please be aware that posts in this forum will be deleted once they expire or if they are found to be unworthy. Please, no "gloats" unless it is a deal that others can get. The items posted should be new and/or refurbished merchandise, and must be available to more that just the posting individual. Also, suffecient information should be included that would allow an individual to find the item, preferably on the web or through a local store.

I paid around $260 for mine and posted the details here, but can't seem to find that thread at the moment. It may have been in the bargain alert forum and got deleted. That price was the $287 sale price and a 10% cashback offer through a credit card, as I recall, no special "in" required.

Of course, now that they have the ShopYourWayRewards, you could get one for free if you buy enough other stuff from Sears and Kmart.
                    Last edited by woodturner; 09-03-2012, 05:47 AM.

Comment

• GerryR
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Aug 2012
                      • South Central Virginia
                      • Craftsman 218290

The Sears version is listed as $599 with the new folding stand and the new, tooless, guard system. They are generally on sale for $509 and dip down to about $475 on occassion. They may be trying to unload the models without the new guarding system for less, but I haven't seen that either online or in the stores.

I would ask $300 for the NIB unit. Most of the parts can still be gotten for it, even if you have to get some from Sears. JMO.

Comment

• Cochese
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2010

Originally posted by woodturner
                        I posted my purchase on here a while ago. Sale price of $287 is not frequent, but they seem to run a similar sale once or twice a year.
                        Use this forum to post info about a great bargain you have found on any woodworking related item. Please be aware that posts in this forum will be deleted once they expire or if they are found to be unworthy. Please, no "gloats" unless it is a deal that others can get. The items posted should be new and/or refurbished merchandise, and must be available to more that just the posting individual. Also, suffecient information should be included that would allow an individual to find the item, preferably on the web or through a local store.

I paid around $260 for mine and posted the details here, but can't seem to find that thread at the moment. It may have been in the bargain alert forum and got deleted. That price was the $287 sale price and a 10% cashback offer through a credit card, as I recall, no special "in" required.

Of course, now that they have the ShopYourWayRewards, you could get one for free if you buy enough other stuff from Sears and Kmart.
                        That was the sale I got mine in, but that was over two years ago now. Haven't seen anything close since. MSRP of the saw has gone up $70 as well since.

The SYWR....I'd have to have my whole house outfitted with Sears stuff to get anything out of that program it seems like. 1% I guess is better than nothing, but with the shop being outfitted, I'll never earn enough to do anything with them. Even the tractor I'm going to buy will only earn $15.

Comment

• woodturner
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2008
                          • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by CocheseUGA
                          That was the sale I got mine in, but that was over two years ago now. Haven't seen anything close since. MSRP of the saw has gone up $70 as well since.
                          Haven't been tracking them, didn't know the MSRP has gone up as well.

It's ultimately whatever you can get someone to pay. Around here, I frequently see all of the variants selling for $50 to $75 in good condition. Often people will list them higher, drop the price several times, and end up in that range. Someone not familiar with these saws might pay more if they have not been tracking prices. Other areas could be completely different - the OP is in the Chicago area, and I would expect prices might be higher in larger cities.

The OP could use the wayback machine to track craigslist prices in his area for the last year or so - that might provide a better estimate for his market.

The SYWR....I'd have to have my whole house outfitted with Sears stuff to get anything out of that program it seems like. 1% I guess is better than nothing, but with the shop being outfitted, I'll never earn enough to do anything with them. Even the tractor I'm going to buy will only earn $15.
                          Yeah, you do have to buy a lot to accumulate much in points. They do run double point sales and things like that, but still....

Discover has been periodically running 10% cashback for some vendors, so that plus the SYWR can amount to something. Might want to think about that if you can time the tractor purchase. You would have to order online for in-store pickup to get the cashback.
                          Last edited by woodturner; 09-03-2012, 09:32 AM.

Comment

• oohhmm
                            Forum Newbie
                            • May 2010
                            • SF Bay Area
                            • BT3000

I've bought seven saws from craigslist, varying degrees of ware. Four of them were like new and I've paid as high as $150 depending on accessories. NIB? I'd maybe go $150-175.....

Though, I've no need for another.

Comment

• jdon
                              Established Member
                              • Feb 2010
                              • Snoqualmie, Wash.
                              • BT3100

Can't say what goes in Illinois, but in Seattle area CL, low price for BT3K's is $100, and many of those look pretty beat up. I got my 3100- gently used- a couple years ago for $175- included accessory kit- and consider it a fair (not a steal) price. Recent listings here for used with accessories seem to run 200-275 asking price.

Personally, the NIB factor ("untouched by human hands") is definitely worth a premium. The buyer doesn't have to worry about any missing pieces the seller forgot in the bottom of a drawer, and no prior mishandling- forcing the blade raising mechanism, saw nicks in the SMT fence, a dull blade, etc. The odds a defective parts (non-working motor) are pretty low.

IMHO, $200 is a fair asking price

Comment

Working...