Saw not going up - is this a shim issue?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NewDIYer
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2012
    • Southington, CT
    • Ryobi BT3000

Saw not going up - is this a shim issue?

I had posted yesterday that I bought a BT3K but the saw was difficult to move up. I have access to the inside of the saw and looks like Loring is right and this could be a shim issue.

If so, what could be done?
    Attached Files
  • frumper64
    Established Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Garland, Tx, USA.

Do a search in this forum for "shim replacement" - there is a step by step write up, complete with pictures from Black Walnut that should help you out. The shims themselves are pretty cheap, I believe, but there is a fair amount of work involved in replacing them.
    Jim
    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Yes that is a slipped shim. Follow the above advice. Consider following the link to Shim supports in the article. link
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• NewDIYer
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2012
        • Southington, CT
        • Ryobi BT3000

The shims are out..

OK. The cover is off and the shims are out. I now have 1 front and 2 rear shims looks like the front left shim was not there.

Where can these shims be purchased? Can these be cut by hand? The front one is bent about 1/2 inch from bottom and sure would not be useable.

Thanks.

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

You can order them through Sears parts. M&D Mower as well. There are other sources. You could also find some stainless steel shim stock and bend your own, although I've not heard of anyone doing so.

©

Comment

• JimD
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Lexington, SC.

That looks like a bt3000 shim setup. If so, can BT3100 shims be retrofitted? Mine need lubrication more often than I like but they don't move like that.

Jim

Comment

• NewDIYer
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2012
              • Southington, CT
              • Ryobi BT3000

I talked to Ryobi tech support..

Apparently the Bt3100 retrofit will require a guide holder (and frankly I do not see difference between the Bt3K and the Bt3100 guide holder) and the new spring steel shim stock.

There are shim stocks available and can order by email which I am likely to do.

What does the shim do?
              Does it prevent any wobble of the motor mount? Does it provide a smooth surface for the movement of the unit going up/down?

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

The latter, smooth surface, aluminum on aluminum galls so the shims provide a low friction surface that prevents the galling. The guide holder has 4 set screws that remove play in the assembly. IMHO and there are many that do not share that opinion it is not cost effective to switch to the BT3100 parts if one spends the few minutes installing shim supports.

©

Comment

• NewDIYer
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2012
                  • Southington, CT
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Understood..

Thanks Mark for your advice.

Do the shims ride with the guide? If so, why not permanently glue these to the guide? If not, can gluing be considered at the bottom of the shim or top of the shim (where it tabs out) so that they do not slide off?

I will definitely look into placing the shim. Somewhere I read that adhesive sealant was placed on the shim and allowed to cure before putting the assembly back and that works. What is your opinion?
                  Last edited by NewDIYer; 08-31-2012, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

the shims provide a smooth, non-galling surface to slide on. Normally the bent-over tips keep the shims with the moving guide holder and they slide on ways (machined sliding surfaces) on the fixed locker bracket.
                    The problem occurs when the locker bracket gets gummed up with dirt or dust and the friction between it and the shim become stronger than the tabs holding the shims to the guide holder. THen the shims slide out and the problem occurs.

The solution is to keep the locker bracket ways well lubed with wax or dry lube, and clear of excessive dust, so that the shims never break away from the guide holder.

A survey I did once suggested about 1/3 of BT3000 owners at one time or another had shim problems.

The BT3100 had an improved design shims and guide holder with mechanical retainers for the shims - These have not had any reported problems. Read about it in the BT3 FAQ.

Other solutions have been some user added retainers and as you noted some gluing the shims to the guide holder. I just keep my ways (sliding surfaces) on the locker bracket well lubed and use dust collection on the Saw body and have not had a problem.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• NewDIYer
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jun 2012
                      • Southington, CT
                      • Ryobi BT3000

I understand..

Thanks Loring. As I learn about the saw it is clear and once the covers are off it is also easy to lube the guide surfaces as you indicate.

I will get the shims and give it a try. Educating on one saw will help with the other saw for sure.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

do you have the manual with all the exploded parts pics, numbers and names of the parts? I probably have PDFs of the BT3000 and BT3100
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• NewDIYer
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Jun 2012
                          • Southington, CT
                          • Ryobi BT3000

BT3K manual

Loring, I do have the manual. I almost ordered these shims yesterday but then wondered if I should order a set more to save on shipping. Does routine lubing / waxing prevent the shim issue?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I think so.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...