• Show
Clear All
  • cwsmith
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2005
    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Originally posted by kramer katt
    Would Sears really keep an out of date model on the sales floor?

YEP!

All too much depends on the hardware manager of course. My FIL, when he was the hardware manager in the Binghamton-area store, was the top HW manager on the east coast. Kept all of his people right up to date on every tool and everything was not only in working order, but clean and well maintained and even polished. After his retirement, he couldn't bear to even visit the store... bins empty, displays disorganized, tools missing parts and neglected.

The two Sears that I occasionally visit are that way. More sales people than customers and everything in the stationary tool display is crowded together, missing parts, tops corroded, and not a soul there that can begin to discuss the nature of any of the tools. Rather shameful I think, but apparently Sears doesn't care.

CWS
    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• steveg
      Forum Newbie
      • May 2010
      • Norman, OK
      • Craftsman 315.228110 (Ryobi BT3000)

hey tommyt --

FIRST off, I am SO envious that you nabbed a nearly unused BT3K for FIFTY BUCKS?? I thought I did pretty good to get mine at $150...

But yeah, that's a great post -- in that you were able to see, on TWO saws, the effects of a dull blade, EVEN one that doesn't look or FEEL dull. With that new Freud Fusion blade, my saw is, LITERALLY, a different machine. I can't WAIT to use it now; I just bought the oak lumber today for the trim carpentry project, and I'm looking forward to it now (whereas, I was DREADING it, before, based on the way my saw was behaving and fearing that I was going to have to buy another saw...)

cwsmith -- I think my local Sears is more similar to what yours is now; and I agree with you in your answer to kramer katt that there very well COULD be an old model on the floor. I went in yesterday, just to see if by some stroke of luck I could get a wrench for my arbor (but knowing that it was a snowball's chance). SO, them not having it was not the issue, it was the general lack of knowledge of anyone there, w.r.t. the saws. When I told them I was looking for a wrench for my Craftsman table saw arbor, a sales guy took me back to the combination wrenches...didn't even have a clue that such a wrench wouldn't work. I was surprised at that...

Steve

Comment

• tommyt
        Handtools only
        • Jul 2012
        • Auburn, NH
        • BT 3000 and Craftsman 21829

Steveg -

Thanks for the kind comments!

Actually, I just picked up what I think is an even better deal. Got the latest Craftsman 21829 for $200 in absolutely new condition. Blade guard, Riving knife and router kit were still in unopened plastic bags! To top it off, the guy threw in a $100 Docis 3.0 cable modem when he heard I needed one. Got to love Craigslist!

I am pretty impressed with the refinements that have been made, and love how easy it is to move with the folding base. Also how throat plate, Riving knife and blade guard attach/adjust without tools. Nice as well to have miter slots on the Accessory table for using some jigs (this table fits the BT3000 and is available at Sears). The Chinese blade, however, is a downgrade. It is sharp, but cuts awful compared to the Porter Cable Razor on other saw. (Found a place locally that has them for $25)

Although I still peek at the app on my phone that finds tool deals (and found more excellent BT3000s for $200 or less) ... I don't plan on buying more. Two guys after one of the BT3000s (will let go for $150), so I will have $250 into the saw purchases, or less if you figure in the modem I needed to buy.

Tom

Comment

• steveg
          Forum Newbie
          • May 2010
          • Norman, OK
          • Craftsman 315.228110 (Ryobi BT3000)

holy COW Tom! You must have the luck of the Irish!

Sounds like some nice upgrades on the new Craftsman saw...VERY nice!

Steve

Comment

Working...