X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeterZ
    Handtools only
    • Jul 2012

dado throat plate

Glad I found this forum - it looks like a lot of good info.

Those pesky shop elves seem to have run off with my bt3000 dado throat plate. I don't use it often (it's been maybe 10 years?) but I need it now and it's nowhere in sight (it was last seen with my moulding knives, which are also missing, sigh). Ordering a new one will take a while, it seems.

I know not to use the dado set without it - but is the reason for using the throat plate so that scraps don't fall down in the blade and get thrown back out?

Is there any reason why I can't take a piece of masonite or other thin stock and make my own plate for the 30 or so dados I need to cut? If there's no reason for in my not doing so - would someone please measure the slot size and let me know what size I need to cut out.

Thanks
    pa' gozar
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Make your own. Easily done.
    YOu want to start with something at least 1/4" thick, 3/8 or 1/2" is better or the center will sag when you press down. then you can mill the edges down by making multiple non-thru passes on the saw.

As for measurements, use the existing throat plate set between the blade and fence to set the width and length, you don't even need to measure. Then use the existing throat plate to mark the hole locations.

There are multiple reasons for using a dado plate.
    1. to keep cutoffs from falling in
    2, to provide full support for skinnier rips
    3. to prevent tear out.

Read more about these reasons and 100 other BT3 questions in my FAQ (see sig line below). Including hints on making throat plates.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-23-2012, 06:53 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by PeterZ
      Glad I found this forum - it looks like a lot of good info.
      Is there any reason why I can't take a piece of masonite or other thin stock and make my own plate for the 30 or so dados I need to cut? If there's no reason for in my not doing so - would someone please measure the slot size and let me know what size I need to cut out.
      Hi Peter and welcome to the forum!

I've used thin/flat stock (like masonite or 1/4 MDF) several times as a throat plate for dado's ... no problem. Just be very sure you have a reliable way to clamp the plate material so it doesn't lift from the surface of the saw table when in use.

As to your request for a slot size measurement ... I usually just use a very oversize piece of thin/flat material, clamp it securely and raise the spinning blade very slowly into the "new plate" until I have the depth I want for the dado ... then I effectively have a Zero Clearance plate ... I use it and then set it aside hoping I will have an occasion for that depth/width dado again ...
      "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas
      => Bade's Personal Web Log
      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• PeterZ
        Handtools only
        • Jul 2012

thanks

thank you all -
        will cobble a new plate together in the ayem.

Comment

• wd4lc
          Established Member
          • Nov 2008
          • Houston, TX
          • Ryobi BT3100-1

This was my attempt at a dado throat plate. I used scrap wood. If I remember correctly the stack doesn't move all the way up....or maybe it was because I hadn't removed the shims from riving knife assembly and that is what caught the bottom of this overly thick dado throat plate.

Comment

Working...