• Show
Clear All
  • BeauxTi
    Established Member
    • Jan 2012
    • Georgetown Texas
    • Ryobi BT300

Bad SMT??

okie dokie - The SMT - what a mess - I think it is warped. Here are the symptoms - I squared it up to the blade - two things 1) the SMT fence rubs the miter slot table in the middle, but clears it on both ends fine, rubbing just in the middle 2) the SMT when sliding bumps/rubs on the rear left screw that holds the base down. I have removed all the shims on the miter slot table but still scrapes in the middle and no matter what I seem to do, it bumps that back screw. I think there is a bow (Down) in the middle of base that the SMT slides on. Any one had this issue or have an Idea what I have done wrong? Do I need a new SMT?
    Beaux Ti -

If you see a Bomb Tech running, follow him....
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

1. if made parallel to the blade, then the SMT will be parallel at any setting along the rails. So move the SMT 1/8" to the left and it won't rub against the miter slot.

2. Not sure which screw you are talking about. if its one on the clamps that holds the SMT to the rails then the SMT is too low in that corner. THe height of the SMT can be modified by adding plastic shims on the bottom of the clamps where it contacts the top of the rail - factory BT3 come with those shims. If they have been removed you might try replacing them - I think they around .010 or .015 thick. Check the height of the SMT vs the main table if you can add these shims. THere's some range of opinions as to whether the SMT ought to be level with or a smidge higher than the main table.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BeauxTi
      Established Member
      • Jan 2012
      • Georgetown Texas
      • Ryobi BT300

Hey thanks for the response - it is not the SMT rubbing, it is the Fence that sits on top of the SMT that is rubbing in the middle of the Miter slot table. and the screw is the one that holds the base to the clamping mech. As you stand in front of the saw - there are 4 screws that hold the base that the SMT slides on two in the front and two in the rear - it is the screw in the rear to the left .
      Beaux Ti -

Comment

• BeauxTi
        Established Member
        • Jan 2012
        • Georgetown Texas
        • Ryobi BT300

Think I found the scraping problem - it seems that the end ridge of the Miter slot table is high in the middle. When I put a straight edge on it - it rocks back and forth - when I put it on the other ridges it sits flat :-(. Not sure what I can do with that other than try to get a belt sander and grind it down a bit. still not sure what to do with the sliding table bumping that back screw though.
        Beaux Ti -

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

Check that the glide on that side in the rear is not broken. It should look like this:

Last edited by Black wallnut; 06-25-2012, 12:23 AM.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• BeauxTi
            Established Member
            • Jan 2012
            • Georgetown Texas
            • Ryobi BT300

Broken Glide

Cool - let me look - thanks for the post - Keeping my fingers crossed. Hoping it is not - seems getting parts is harder and harder. I may end up with a new saw :-(
            Beaux Ti -

Comment

• BeauxTi
              Established Member
              • Jan 2012
              • Georgetown Texas
              • Ryobi BT300

Loring - sorry, to bug you , I know I read somewhere in the Forums where you discussed shimming the SMT to raise the table hight. I think that is my issue for the scraping of the SMT fence on the Miter slot insert table. I lowered the Miter slot table (removed shims) and it does not scrape any longer. No with the Miter slot table lower - when I use it with my Incra gage- it wobbles because it is lower than the main table. If I could raise up the SMT surface, then I could go back and level off the Miter slot table with the the main table. Long story short - Loring do you remember where that post is?
              Beaux Ti -

Comment

Working...