X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aerodynamics
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2012

Tilt/Raise Mechanism Fix

Someone locally is selling a used BT3100 and says the wheel mechanism that raises/tilts the blade was taken apart to clean but couldn't assemble it back to work properly. Supposedly nothing is broken. It sounds like it was reassembled wrong. This would be my first real table saw and I'm wondering how involved this is. Without knowing much details does this seem like something worth the $75 he is asking? From the pics, it appears to be in decent cosmetic condition and all parts look to be present.
  • tvarch
    Forum Newbie
    • Apr 2008

aero- it is a pretty easy machine to repair and there is lots of info on this site and from knowledgeable members,. The height adjustment on my saw broke about a year ago (stripped threads) and I managed to fix it fairly easily.
    For $75 you won"t find a better saw. If you are willing to learn about it and set it up properly it will run for many years.
    good luck

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

With it broke, offer $50 even though it's probably worth the $75. You might get lucky. If/when you get it, at either price, post pics of the lift assy. Someone will be able to tell you what the problem is.
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• aerodynamics
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2012

Here are pics from the seller. From these you can't tell what's wrong with the raise/tilt mechanism but what can you gather of its overall condition? To my untrained eyes it looks decent, no? There are miter slots, casters, ZCI, and brackets I recognize being part of the accessory kit. Seller says while it won't raise or tilt, it powers up and motor is strong. What do you think?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by aerodynamics; 06-14-2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

• JimD
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2003
          • Lexington, SC.

Looks fine to me. The expensive part to fix is the motor. If that did not run, it would be questionable. The belts are an aggrivating but cheap thing to fix, if the blade runs then the belts are fine.

My height stopped working because I let the shim area get dirty. That is the weak thing about these saws. You must keep the area where the casting the motor and blade are in slides over the other casting clean. There are shims to eliminate slop in this joint and when you get enough caked sawdust on them, the height adjustment won't work any more. It is pretty fail safe, however, since the weak link is the plastic handle turning the metal threaded rod that works the height adjustment. The same mechanism tilts the blade after you flip a lever that is behind the height adjustment wheel. So when the height adjustment doesn't work, the angle adjustment is not going to to work either. Clean the shim area up, along with the threads, and the saw will be fine again - when that is all that is wrong.

Even if you have to put new female threads in the casting, which doesn't sound likely, it is not very expensive. If you need a part or two for the height mechanism they shouldn't be expensive (possibly shims).

The BT3000/3100 are very precise table saws capable of the same work as a very expensive table saw. They aren't cheap junk by any stretch. They must be kept clean in the height mechanism - which maybe makes them require more maintenance than more expensive saws but that is not a real big deal. I've made at least 4 sets of bedroom furniture with mine so far along with a lot of other stuff.

$75 even if it needs some attention seems cheap to me.

Jim

Comment

• jdon
            Established Member
            • Feb 2010
            • Snoqualmie, Wash.
            • BT3100

FWIW, I had a fluke binding of my blade elevation- it would only lower part way. I checked shims, gears, screw assembly- all okay. I finally noticed a small chunk of wood which had jammed in the back of the shroud surrounding the blade, preventing the motor assembly from lowering. (I didn't have a ZCTP installed). fished the chunk out, all's right with the world.

The saw looks to be in good shape. Jump on it for $75!

Comment

• aerodynamics
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2012

Just an update...the seller got rid of it before I could jump on it. I ended up closing a deal on another Craigslist gem - a brand new still-in-crate Craftsman 22114 hybrid saw for $300 - which I picked up yesterday morning. It is basically a rebranded version of the well-received Ridgid R4511. I wasn't expecting to go this big of a saw this soon but couldn't pass on the opportunity.

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Sounds like a good deal on the C-man saw.
                Erik

Comment

Working...