• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • willmarylou1
    Handtools only
    • Sep 2003
    • SPARTANBURG, SC, USA.

BT3000 Dual Miter Slot In-Feed Table Mod

I have wanted some sort of infeed table on my BT3000 for a long time to allow me to have more distance from front edge of table to blade that would allow me to crosscut wider boards with my miter gage.
    My solution was to get a 3rd dual slot miter unit and cut it in half. To mount it I took some maple hardwood and made an insert about 24 inches long to slide thru the new piece and into existing miter slot unit. It allows for a very rigid connection and easy sliding of miter fence across it. This will allow me to remove easily for normal cutting.
    I did have to cut a little material on underside to clear front rails.
    Their is an interference with fence T-square fence but usually I am wanting to cut wide pieces. I can remove right side unit and get rip fence very close to blade if needed.
    I hope to build the cross cut sled from Woodsmith soon to use in conjunction with this modification.

Bob Willey
    Attached Files
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

That looks great! If it works for you, keep on!

For me, both pieces would have to be easily removable because I make all kinds of cuts and often put the fince on the left side too. Are the short pieces easily removable?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• willmarylou1
      Handtools only
      • Sep 2003
      • SPARTANBURG, SC, USA.

Hank,
      The add on units are easy to remove. As I mentioned in original message I had to remove a small amount of material on bottom of add on pieces so I can't simply pull units out. What I found was to loosen allen cap screw on front of main table just slightly and raise up and pull out. It takes about 30 seconds to remove both add ons since they are not bolted in to anything. They are held in place simply with the tight fitting wood bars(not so tight that they won't release easily).
      I hope it will work well when I get crosscut sled built.

Bob Willey

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Very unique Bob, I don't think I have ever seen that done here! Great job
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• os1kne
          • Jan 2003
          • Atlanta, GA
          • BT3100

That's very clever. I've had times that I wished for more room on the table before the blade, but never thought of that solution.
          Bill

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Looks good Bob. Are the maple inserts sturdy enough for placing hefty stock on the extensions, and any thoughts to conjoining the two extensions with a cross bar so they remove in tandem, or does this pose any safety issues?
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

That's a really cool idea. I've been considering a few ways to do some infeed support on my 21829. The biggest challenge would be for quick removal and attachment, since my saw has to move at the end of the day. I was thinking along the lines of something narrow in front of the blade mostly for supporting long rips.
              Erik

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                Looks good Bob. Are the maple inserts sturdy enough for placing hefty stock on the extensions, and any thoughts to conjoining the two extensions with a cross bar so they remove in tandem, or does this pose any safety issues?
                I could see where maybe a portion of 1/4 ply or thin MDF could be mounted underneath, with screw through the ply up into the maple. If I were doing it, I'd probably make the sheet almost kiss the rail. By doing this, you could possibly build up the area in between the slots and make it an auxiliary infeed table. The drawback I see to my idea is that by adding more weight to the front could make it more prone to tipping.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• Denco
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Coming soon: California
                  • BT3100

Excellent mod! Great job. :-)
                  *****Measure twice, cut once.....rats, back to the lumber yard.*****

Comment

• willmarylou1
                    Handtools only
                    • Sep 2003
                    • SPARTANBURG, SC, USA.

Bill,
                    When I cut the slight notches in bottom of add-on to clear rails it raised a slight bump on inside of aluminum framework. This gave me a tighter fit for the wood bar to slip into.
                    I originally was going to put a filler board between the two add-ons but after I got them in I decided I didn't really need them.
                    As I mentioned in earlier thread I simply loosen the allen cap screw on main table a couple of turns and that allows me to lift up add-on and table unit and pull out maple insert easily.
                    It seems to be very rigid and should support wide pieces easily.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

If you need more rigidity, use miter bars in one of the two slots, that you don't use for your sled.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...