• Show
Clear All
  • wlaims
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2004
    • Seattle, Washington
    • Ryobi BT3100 / Festool TS55

what to do with a second bt3100?

Just found a used bt3100 at a good price, and so am going to snatch it up. Not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it, to be honest, except I'm debating taking the rails off and putting it on mine for a wide table set. What's the forum's thoughts on connecting them?

Also, if I'm to part out the saw, what parts should I keep as backup? i.e. what parts are most likely to fail and I may as well keep it for the parts bin.

And are there any other good opportunities to enhance my saw with this second unit?

Cheers,

William
    Last edited by wlaims; 12-13-2010, 06:07 PM.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Instead of taking the rails off and making a single saw with a wide table, some members have lined the two saws up end to end, rail to rail using the same hardware yo use to extend rails.

This saves you from having to build a stand because the second saw is already at the right height. And now you have two saws, leave one set up for ripping and the other for crosscutting or perhaps one for sawing and the other for dadoing.

Lower one blade, remove the rip fence and miter fence and you have 72+" of rip capacity.

So you can have like 72+" rip capacity with support and two saw motors with two router tables built in.

There's a name for this, one of the guys dubbed it a "Frankensaw" and that name has stuck. You can search here for it.

example:
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-13-2010, 07:41 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

What Loring said. You can leave one set up for ripping / crosscutting, the other for dadoes etc...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• wlaims
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2004
        • Seattle, Washington
        • Ryobi BT3100 / Festool TS55

Franksaw looks pretty beastly, I like!

However, I'm wondering if you folks have any opinion on the price of this "work and look new" BT3100 w/o the $99 accessory package, but with stand, at $150. Is this a good deal, or should I wait?

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by wlaims
          Franksaw looks pretty beastly, I like!

However, I'm wondering if you folks have any opinion on the price of this "work and look new" BT3100 w/o the $99 accessory package, but with stand, at $150. Is this a good deal, or should I wait?
          I think the BT3100 was a very good buy at its going price of around $300 (and they all included the metal stand, don't let them make you think they paid extra for it). The 99$ accessory kit was free promo for a while but not a real long time. Its value is debateable, anyway (see my FAQ).

So $150 is a good price for a like new $300 BT3100 saw that's a few years out of production. There's not much in new features that tablesaws have today that you would get in that price level.

Talk him down to $99 or even $125 and you've got a steal! (Hey, in the OP I thought you said you were going to snatch this up?!)
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-13-2010, 07:43 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...