• Show
Clear All
  • cgallery
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Milwaukee, WI
    • BT3K

Fine tuning your BT3K saw

I've outlined my procedure for aligning my BT3K SMT and rip fence to +/- .001" (one-thousandth of an inch). More details here:

Please let me know if you spot any obvious mistakes or if anything seems unclear.

Thanks!
    Phil
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Pretty nice write up Phil. Nice pictures also. Thanks for sharing.
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• rcp612
      Established Member
      • May 2005
      • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
      • Bosch 4100-09

Great instructions!! The easiest I've seen. Thanks Phil
      Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cgallery
        I've outlined my procedure for aligning my BT3K SMT and rip fence to +/- .001" (one-thousandth of an inch). More details here:

Please let me know if you spot any obvious mistakes or if anything seems unclear.

Thanks!
        Phil
        That's very good, Phil!
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dlminehart
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • San Jose, CA, USA.

Looks really great. Thanks, Phil! Only thing that's a bit unclear to me is the attachment of the gauge to the wood. You mention the holes, but I could use a closeup of how the gauge actually attaches. I notice, for instance, that it is not horizontal . . . how does it stay at that particular angle?
          - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• cgallery
            Veteran Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Milwaukee, WI
            • BT3K

Originally posted by dlminehart
            Looks really great. Thanks, Phil! Only thing that's a bit unclear to me is the attachment of the gauge to the wood. You mention the holes, but I could use a closeup of how the gauge actually attaches. I notice, for instance, that it is not horizontal . . . how does it stay at that particular angle?
            My indicator has a lug back. This provides a point to screw it to a fixture. In my case, I used a cross-dowel and bolt (knock-down furniture hardware) to hold my indicator to the jig. This allows me to use a single cross-dowel to hold the indicator on either the long edge or short edge of the jig. All I have to do when I want to reconfigure the jig is turn the cross-dowel by 90-degrees with my fingernail and screw the indicator on from the other edge.

The angle you see the indicator set to was simply an attempt by me to have the indicator tip as close to the table as possible. This allows me to take measurements at a wider point on the blade, thus increasing accuracy.
            Attached Files

Comment

• final_t
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003

My indicator has a lug back. This provides a point to screw it to a fixture. In my case, I used a cross-dowel and bolt (knock-down furniture hardware) to hold my indicator to the jig. This allows me to use a single cross-dowel to hold the indicator on either the long edge or short edge of the jig. All I have to do when I want to reconfigure the jig is turn the cross-dowel by 90-degrees with my fingernail and screw the indicator on from the other edge.
              Totally. Brilliant. Finally a really good use for the dial gauge!

Comment

• Turaj
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                • BT3000 (1998)

Thanks Phil for taking the time. The instructions are clear and very helpful! Thanks again!!
                Turaj (in Toronto)
                "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

The angle you see the indicator set to was simply an attempt by me to have the indicator tip as close to the table as possible. This allows me to take measurements at a wider point on the blade, thus increasing accuracy.
                  Not a criticism really, but the dial gauge at an angle other than a right angle to the blade of course gives you a less than accurate reading. Since the object in this case is to get the same reading or a difference of zero or at least minimize it then it really doesn't matter.

If the dial gauge is not perfectly normal (perpendicular) to the blade then the actual reading will be longer by about the sine of the angle from 90°. You're really measuring the hypotenuse and not the shortest distance.

If its 5 degrees off then your reading will be 9% longer than the actual distance.

I think about things like that, just a measurement science (metrology) thing with me...
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• ChrisD
                    • Dec 2004
                    • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Very good write-up, Phil! I'm all for inexpensive methods that yield excellent results.
                    The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• ChrisD
                      • Dec 2004
                      • CHICAGO, IL, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      I think about things like that, just a measurement science (metrology) thing with me...
                      And that, Loring, is why you are such an asset to this place!
                      The war against inferior and overpriced furniture continues!

Chris

Comment

• cgallery
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2004
                        • Milwaukee, WI
                        • BT3K

Not a criticism really, but the dial gauge at an angle other than a right angle to the blade of course gives you a less than accurate reading. Since the object in this case is to get the same reading or a difference of zero or at least minimize it then it really doesn't matter.

If the dial gauge is not perfectly normal (perpendicular) to the blade then the actual reading will be longer by about the sine of the angle from 90°. You're really measuring the hypotenuse and not the shortest distance.

If its 5 degrees off then your reading will be 9% longer than the actual distance.

Right, I thought about that and I knew you would, too. :-)

Not being a metrologist, I had to think about it a while. I finally decided that, when making relative measurements, the angle is a PLUS. Because it effectively increases the resolution of the indicator. That is provided: (1) You can maintain the angle very strictly (hasn't been a problem), and (2) You don't use such a steep angle that it causes the indicator stem to deflect or work in a non-linear fashion.

So using the angle is a win-win: (1) You use more of the blade, thus greater accuracy and (2) You get an increase in resolution of your test gear, thus greater accuracy.

Am I right? Do I get my junior metrologist badge?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Right, I thought about that and I knew you would, too. :-)

Not being a metrologist, I had to think about it a while. I finally decided that, when making relative measurements, the angle is a PLUS. Because it effectively increases the resolution of the indicator. That is provided: (1) You can maintain the angle very strictly (hasn't been a problem), and (2) You don't use such a steep angle that it causes the indicator stem to deflect or work in a non-linear fashion.

So using the angle is a win-win: (1) You use more of the blade, thus greater accuracy and (2) You get an increase in resolution of your test gear, thus greater accuracy.

Am I right? Do I get my junior metrologist badge?
                          I'll agree with you as long as you don't tell me any uncorrected numbers you read off the gauge face! (which you did iw two "minor" places - calculation of the runout and distortion of the blade of .006" when you raided it to the top. I figure the last one was probably more like .0055" instead of .006"

My real point is not criticism of the procedure, I think its quite good and will do the job. I just don't like to see dial gauges at an an angle other than perpendicular. Makes me shudder. Other applications it may really matter!
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-13-2006, 12:18 AM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• cgallery
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Milwaukee, WI
                            • BT3K

I'll agree with you as long as you don't tell me any uncorrected numbers you read off the gauge face! (which you did iw two "minor" places - calculation of the runout and distortion of the blade of .006" when you raided it to the top. I figure the last one was probably more like .0055" instead of .006"

My real point is not criticism of the procedure, I think its quite good and will do the job. I just don't like to see dial gauges at an an angle other than perpendicular. Makes me shudder. Other applications it may really matter!
                            No, your criticism is valid and I didn't even think that I was measuring runout w/ the indicator at an angle! I will update the page w/ a corrected photo and add some discussion of using angles in the notes next time I make changes.

If there is anything else you see please don't hesitate to say something. And that includes any text that isn't clear or could be made MORE clear.

Comment

• greencat
                              Established Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • Grand Haven Mi

Great write up - I also like you shop vac collector. How much is the angle reader?
                              Thanks again,
                              Mike

Comment

Working...