X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • josephlor
    Forum Newbie
    • Aug 2005

rip fence

Does anyone know of a good replacement fence for the BT3001?
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by josephlor
    The only replacement for the BT3000/3100 fence is another BT fence. Many make an auxillary or sacrificial fence that adds on or over the original to make it longer or use with a dado etc.

Although a few people do have problems with their fence (as with any brand) it is one of the best and most accurate stock fences on the market. It does have one set up feature that drives some people nuts until they realize that is part of the set up. It has a two step locking and it swings straight into alignment just before clamping in the rear.

At that point it is clamped in the from and in the rear. Solid.

There was a fence made two or three years ago as a replacement but it cost a good bit and was not any better than the OEM fence.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• maxparot
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
      • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I guess there is the Jointech saw train system.
      Opinions are like gas;
      I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by maxparot
        I guess there is the Jointech saw train system.
        I forgot about that, and Sam has one. But it costs more than the saw.
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• RayintheUK
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by josephlor
          I've not seen a better fence than the BT3's, not only in the price bracket, but even on more expensive machines, although it does have to be set up correctly.

There have been several threads regarding this issue, so it might be worthwhile having a trawl around and seeing if any existing thread replies solve your problem. A common symptom is failing to lock correctly and is often solved by sorting out the location of the clamper in the rear rail.

To get it to locate properly, the adjusting screw needs to be slackened and the whole fence lifted at the front to an angle of around 30 degrees, so that the clamper pops in under the innermost top shoulder of the rear rail extrusion. The side-view diagram below shows the correct location in picture "B" (clamper in black, rail section in gray).

Click image for larger version

Name:	3fence.gif
Views:	6
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	779672

Picture "C" in the diagram shows the location that causes most problems, often accompanied by an inability to get the handle down past horizontal.

Once correctly in place, the adjuster screw can be wound right in, then slackened to adjust the position of the operating handle to your taste. Mine locks the fence just below horizontal, which is how I like it. Others prefer a little more, so slacken the adjuster accordingly.

If this is not the problem, let us know what drove you to ask about a replacement fence - maybe together we can sort yours out.

Ray.
          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

Working...