• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pber2025
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2006

Dust Collectors and the BT3100

Hello everyone

Who is using a dust collector with his or hers BT3100? I would like to know how to connect the 4" port of a dust collector to the 2 1/2" port of the BT3100? Are you using just a simple reducer or anything fancier?

I'm thinking of swithing from my trusty Shop-Vac to something more powerfull that will help keep the dust level to a minimum. What are your experiences using a DC on the BT3x00?
  • Turaj
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
    • BT3000 (1998)

This is what I am using! You can get it from Lee Valley for $19.95 (Canadian). It works great!

Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.
    Turaj (in Toronto)
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• pber2025
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Turaj
      This is what I am using! You can get it from Lee Valley for $19.95 (Canadian). It works great!

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,42401&ap=1
      Wgat type of DC are you using? 1HP or bigger?

Comment

• Russianwolf
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Martinsburg, WV, USA.
        • One of them there Toy saws

I have the HF2HP unit and have it hooked to the BT via

4 Inch Hose > 4 Inch to 2.5 Inch adapter > Shopvac Coupler > BT

If you get a 4 inch to 2.25 inch adapter you can skip the Coupler.
        Mike
        Lakota's Dad

If at first you don't succeed, deny you were trying in the first place.

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...t=1,42401&ap=1

You'll do better on airflow if you use 4" hose and put the reducer at the saw.

Better yet add a belly pan and a second 4" hose on the bottom. That really keeps the inside clean. Still get some dust off the topside, probably need a third hose (wYe'ed off the one to the rear dust port) attached to the Sharkguard.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-18-2006, 04:15 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rickd
            Established Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Cowichan Bay, 30 mi. north of Victoria, B.C., Canada.
            • Ryobi BT3100

Here's the setup I have for the connection from my DC to the Sharkguard:

At the back of the BT3100, I just use the same 'black' reducer you see pictured below and attached to the sharkguard - both work great:

rick doyle

Rick's Woodworking Website

Comment

• jbalders
              Established Member
              • Oct 2003
              • Vienna, VA, USA.
              • BT3100 + Shopsmith

I use three things:
              1) HF 2HP DC with a network attached to the wall at knee level that runs up to a Wye with two blast gates
              2) The top blast gate steps down to a 2-1/2 hose that runs up the wall and hangs down from overhead to connect to my shark guard (similar to Rick's above, but a 2-1/2" hose), but with a quick disconnect at the ceiling for when I need to push my saw to the side of the shop.
              3) other blast gate attaches to a 4" hose, and connects to a 4"->2-1/4" adapter (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=899, part #144534) the 2-1/4" portion fits perfectly inside the BT3x00 connector.
              Jeff

BOFH excuse #360: Your parity check is overdrawn and you're out of cache.

Comment

• Turaj
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by pber2025
                Wgat type of DC are you using? 1HP or bigger?
                Sorry about the late reply I used to have a 1 HP DC with a shop made Chip Separator. Last year I upgraded to a Delta 50-760 (1 1/2 HP) but still using the separator.
                Originally posted by LCHIEN
                You'll do better on airflow if you use 4" hose and put the reducer at the saw.
                You are absolutely right and that is my plan (to change). I do have a belly pen with 2 1/2 " dust port at the back (Jim Frey's design) and since I do not have time to change them, for now they are working just fine
                Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• pber2025
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jul 2006

Thanks for all the feedback. I finally pruchased this:

King Canada 2HP KC-3105C dust collector

Will be using a reducer to connect to the table saw for now.

Comment

• Turaj
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • BT3000 (1998)

I think you will be very happy with that. I had narrowed my choices to that one and the Delta.
                    While you are at it, you may want to look into a remote switch for you DC. You don't want to keep going back and forth. Canadian Tire has a small one (15 amp) for $20.
                    Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

• pber2025
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jul 2006

I think you will be very happy with that. I had narrowed my choices to that one and the Delta.
                      While you are at it, you may want to look into a remote switch for you DC. You don't want to keep going back and forth. Canadian Tire has a small one (15 amp) for $20.
                      Under which categorie should I search for this at Canadian Tire?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

watch out, many (most) of those inespensive remote switches even tho rated for 15 amps will eventually break down when exposed to motor loads with high starting currents. The 15 amp rating, if you read the fine print is for heaters (resistive load). Derate for lights and derate even more for motors.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• final_t
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                          Better yet add a belly pan and a second 4" hose on the bottom. That really keeps the inside clean.
                          I've got mine set up the same way, and yes, does a bangup job. Question: I'm rebuilding the table saw cart and have the bell pan intigrated into the design. What do you think about closing off the blade's dust port (cap it), and removing the blade's dust cover side (basically opening the blade up to the rest of the saw)? Good idea, bad idea?

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by final_t
                            I've got mine set up the same way, and yes, does a bangup job. Question: I'm rebuilding the table saw cart and have the bell pan intigrated into the design. What do you think about closing off the blade's dust port (cap it), and removing the blade's dust cover side (basically opening the blade up to the rest of the saw)? Good idea, bad idea?
                            I don't know, wouldn't be hard to try at all.
                            Why don't you do it and let me know how it goes?
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• Turaj
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2002
                              • BT3000 (1998)

Originally posted by pber2025
                              Under which categorie should I search for this at Canadian Tire?
                              Not sure what category but it is item number 52-8807-0.

I purchased it when I had my smaller DC and then put it on the new DC last year. As Loring said it is designed for lights but I have not had any problem with it. I know of some people who burned this switch very quickly but also others who have been using it for many years. I guess it depends on how often and for how long you use your DC.

"Busy Bee" and "All in One" and probably others have remote switches which are specifically designed for DC.
                              Turaj (in Toronto)

Comment

Working...