• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davidtu
    • Apr 2006
    • Seattle, WA
    • BT3100

Can you run BT3100 backwards?

I read online about a guy who was having a problem whereby his motor was spinning backwards. So, if this is possible, is it also possible to do it on purpose and at least temporarily have a left-tilt saw? Or, why is this the dumbest question you've ever seen!?
    Never met a bargain I didn't like.
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by davidtu
    I read online about a guy who was having a problem whereby his motor was spinning backwards. So, if this is possible, is it also possible to do it on purpose and at least temporarily have a left-tilt saw? Or, why is this the dumbest question you've ever seen!?
    One of the advantages of a three phase motor is that the 3 phases rotating 120 from each other force the motor to turn in the proper direction.

A single phase motor actually has no such natural tendecy to turn in one direction or the other and PROBABLY the group you were talking to had a single phase motor with the starter circuit broken. In this case the motor will likely sit and hum when turned on; if you give it a push one way or the other it will actually run in that direction. It happens quite often actually, usually centrifugal switches get stuck, sometimes capacitors open up.

For that reason all single phase induction motors have starter circuits which comprise of a centrifugal switch and a large capacitor which when the motor is below speed applies the capacitor to one of the windings making ot have a delay and force the initial rotation of the motor. After coming to speed the switch disables the circuit to save power.

Universal motors, I have to think, but I think the physical order of the poles and the brushes forces it to turn one way and reverse starting is not a frequent problem at all. The BT2 has a universal motor, I've never heard of one running in reverse.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-16-2006, 11:45 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...