X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jseklund
    Established Member
    • Aug 2006

New BT3100 not as new as I thought

Not sure if this is the 100% exact place for this, but I have a problem that I hope someone can help with. I just purchased what appears to be the LAST BT3100 in Southern Mass. I actually bought it last week, but picked it up two nights ago from the store.

When I bought it, the box looked a little beat up, and it had some extra tape on it, but it was sealed and no one said anything about it being open. However, upon unpacking it, it was fairly obvious that it had already been unpacked. The pouch with the CD in it was ripped open, pieces of styrofoam were missing, etc. I thought, eh well, I got a deal. Let's put it together and make sure everything's here....

Well, it APPEARS to all be there, but the Mitre table does not really clamp down on the bars at the front of the saw. When I press the clamps down at the back of the saw, it holds firmly. However, the front two clamps just don't grab on. I can lift the front end of the table with about the same force as I would need if I didn't clip them on at all.

I've looked to see if there's any way to adjust these clamps, etc.- but can't find anything.

Is this normal? Has anyone come across this before? Should I just get replacement clamps? Or does someone know how to fix this?

I'm kind of upset that it was open boxed and not advertised as such. All I got was the clearance price and they would not drop any for it being open boxed when I called. I was at sears looking at some Craftsman table saws for around the same price that looked nice.....maybe I'll return it and get a craftsman....any thoughts?

Hate to complain too much....I am trying to get things cheap right now, and you tend to run across problems that you sometimes have to live with when you get deals. Just trying to see alternatives....
    F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking
  • parnelli
    • Aug 2004
    • bt3100

I can't tell you how many things I've bought from the BORG only to find out they were repackaged returns with missing or broken parts.

Comment

• Tom Miller
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2003
      • Twin Cities, MN
      • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

I can think of a million ways (ok, two or three ways) how to fix this, but they're things you shouldn't have to do with a new saw. More on this later....

The first thing I would do is call Ryobi and tell them the situation. (To wit: you got the last BT3100 at the store, therefore can't exchange it -- wouldn't mention anything about open box, as no one mentioned it to you. The SMT doesn't clamp down in front, and what can they do to help you....) You might expect replacement parts, or even a replacement SMT.

Now, as far as using what you've got in the interim:

Depending how much clearance there is between the cam clamps and the rail, you could:

1. Put some tape on the front face of the front rail. If you have any metallic foil tape, this would work well.

2. Place some tape or other shim material on the SMT where it contacts the back rail.

3. Slightly and carefully bend down the metal support that's holding the front cam clamp.

Regards,
      Tom

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

Sorry to hear that you had problems with your new BT. Unfortunately, HD is very poor, (and IMO dishonest) in it's customer relations. In my mind, there is a big difference between "clearance" and "returned".

I've seen some Ridgid tools that were marked clearance with only about 10 or 15% off the original price, and without even having to look close, one can tell these were highly used and somewhat abused. Filthy case, scratches, dents, marred cords and simply evidence that these have been thrown around on a few job sites for some time. When asking an "orange apron" all you get is a shrug. (My local HD employs a lot of Neanderthals.)

I don't know if a call to Ryobi Customer Support would help in any way, but I have on occasion read where replacement parts have been sent out. I suppose that depends on the circumstances, but I sure would give it a try before I returned the saw to HD.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• RayintheUK
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2003
          • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
          • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by jseklund
          ...... but the Mitre table does not really clamp down on the bars at the front of the saw.
          Are you absolutely sure that you've got the rear lugs correctly located in the rear rail? If you have, fair enough, there's a problem, forget I said anything.

However, if you're not careful, you can get them too far forward, which feels like it's located, but it isn't and will gives symptoms identical to those you're describing. I'd have a double check first and try relocating the rear lugs.

Ray.
          Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• jseklund
            Established Member
            • Aug 2006

As always, thanks for the replies.

I've always had a bad feeling about shopping at HD, never knew why. I've generally bought from Lowes, just felt more comfortable there. I know people probably have things to say about Lowes, but at least the stores I've been in appear honest and professional. Know I know why- it's how I feel when I walk onto a used car lot.

I called customer support and they said they would send out some new parts for me. They were good about it, I'm happy with them.

After reading Ray's suggestion (thanks), I went to have another look. It pretty much slides on and seems like it HAS to be in the position it's in. However, upon more careful examination I noticed something. The two pieces of medal that screw into the crossbar were FLAT on the back, but slightly bent on the front. It looks like the screws may have been over-torqued and the medal bent up just about....oh...1/16" or so. Maybe 1/8". This prevented the clamps from contacting the bar correctly. I can probably bend them down. Maybe I'll take them off and flatten them with a hammer or something.... Either way, I have new clamps on their way.

So, it looks like Tom wins the prize with #3:

"3. Slightly and carefully bend down the metal support that's holding the front cam clamp."

Thanks guys!
            F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• OhYea
              Forum Newbie
              • Jun 2004
              • Beavercreek, Oh, USA.

Bought what I thought was the last new palm sander at HD only to find a pile of saw dust fall out when I openned the box and the sander obviously used. Whoever repackaged it did a good job because there was no obvious evidnece of it being openned before. I figured someone bought it for a single jiob and returned it when they were done. Of course I returned it for a refund.

When I went back a few days later there was one sander on the shelf, no discount. I'm sure it was was the same sander I returned.

Comment

• Tom Miller
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Twin Cities, MN
                • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by jseklund
                So, it looks like Tom wins the prize with #3:
                [Running up to the stage]
                WOOOOOOO! USA! USA!

Oh, let me catch my breath...there're so many people I need to thank....

But if I can be serious for a moment...those metal tabs that hold the clamps can be bent fairly easily, on purpose, as well as by accident.

Also, on the other side of the rail from these clamps, IIRC, are stops, that might also be out of adjustment.

Either way, looks like you're getting things squared away. And I think your saw's gonna be just fine.

Regards,
                Tom

Comment

Working...