• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

It's BT3000 Shim Time!

I recently found a shim in the dust chute of my BT3000. Rats.

I've reviewed the FAQ and Jim Frye's article, but have question. The parts identified in the FAQ are as follows:

Parts List:
    #969600001 Flat shim [BT3000/BT3100}$.90 ea, 2 needed
    #0181010314 Spring shim {BT3100} $.86 ea, 2 needed
    #0181010110 Guide holder {BT3100} $15.07 ea, 1 needed
    #662329001 Dvive belt {BT3000/BT3100} $13.49 ea, 2 needed

Are the guide holder and belts absolutely required? I assume the belts are suggested to be replaced as long as i'm in there. The guide holder I'm not sure about.

At about $60 for the repair I'm balking a bit, so i wanted to seek the advice of anyone who's been down this road.

Thanks
    JR
    JR
  • Tom Miller
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2003
    • Twin Cities, MN
    • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by JR
    Are the guide holder and belts absolutely required? I assume the belts are suggested to be replaced as long as i'm in there. The guide holder I'm not sure about.
    I could see doing the shims as long as you're replacing the belts, but not vice-versa. Likewise with the guide holder.

I'd just do the shims, if I were you.

Now, as far as ordering spare parts to have on hand, spare belts would be good. A spare guide holder might be a little over the top. Spare shims, definitely!

Good luck -- you're not looking at too much work. But take it easy, and walk away if you start sensing any frustration (based on personal experience ).

Regards,
    Tom

Comment

• Ken Massingale
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Liberty, SC, USA.
      • Ridgid TS3650

I have some of the L shaped shims, if you want them, JR. Just let me know.
      ken

Comment

• gmack5
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Quapaw, Oklahoma, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3000SX & BT3100

That looks like a list of the parts in a "Conversion" Kit. Used to convert the BT3000 smooth Shims to the Wavey ones used on the BT3100.

If all you want to do is replace the bad shims, you don't need the "Guide holder" since the "old" shims on the BT3000 are smooth, not wavey as the BT3100's are.

The smooth Shims, originally used on the BT3000 are not included in the list, only the "Spring Shim" used on the BT3100. You should be able to find the Part Number for the smooth ("L" shaped) shims in your User's Manual
        Last edited by gmack5; 07-22-2006, 02:01 PM.
        Stop thinking why you can't and Start thinking how you CAN!
        Remember, SUCCESS comes in CANS!
        George

Comment

• JR
          The Full Monte
          • Feb 2004
          • Eugene, OR
          • BT3000

I see, so the guide holder is required when doing the BT3100 shim conversion. Old BT3000 shims could be used, but run the risk of falling out again in the future.

I'd buy belts to have on-hand, just in case.

Have I got it right?

Is it assumed that since I had a shim fall out that I should replace the shims at this point? Or would I reasonably consider returing the wayward shim to its rightful place and expect to motor on for a while?

JR
          JR

Comment

• Tom Miller
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2003
            • Twin Cities, MN
            • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Originally posted by JR
            Is it assumed that since I had a shim fall out that I should replace the shims at this point? Or would I reasonably consider returing the wayward shim to its rightful place and expect to motor on for a while?
            I think the only way a shim can fall out is if one of the ears (bent tabs) breaks off. That suggests you need to replace with a new shim.

There are other possibilities that allow you to use a shim with only one tab, but that requires modding up some type of shim holders.

Regards,
            Tom

Comment

• RickT
              Established Member
              • Jun 2003

Hi JR,
              I have a 3100, and I haven't had to replace shims, but I did do a thorough disassembly, clean, lube, and reassembly, which includes much of what you'll end up doing with a shim replacement. Here's my post about what I went through. It requires patience, but it's worth it. Let us know how it works out.
              Rick
              This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

Comment

• Whaler
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Sequim, WA, USA.
                • DW746

I converted my BT3000 to the BT3100 shim system several years ago. I figured since I had it tore down why not do the upgrade and hopefully never have to do it again.
                Spend the extra $15.00 and go for it.
                Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Yup. I'm with Dick. I had to replace my shims on the BT3000 and did the upgrade. If you are interested in this, PM me via forum. I will send some instructions with pics I wrote.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Black wallnut
                    cycling to health
                    • Jan 2003
                    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                    • BT3k 1999

Since it seems time for my semi-annual maintenance and due to several posts asking how to lately I deciced to take pictures during mine. Keep in mind this is specifically for the BT3000 only. Step 1: double un-plug saw at outlet and onboard outlet. Remove throat plate, Sharkguard, Big dog clamp, and splitter (or the stock POS

The above link details shim replacement for the BT 3000 only!

It is my opinion that if one follows the instructions and adds the shim supports that the problem is solved forever.
                    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• JR
                      The Full Monte
                      • Feb 2004
                      • Eugene, OR
                      • BT3000

Excellent, Mark! That got me off my dead patooty and into the shop. Where I discovered one shim is missing entirely.

I've ordered the BT3100 guide holder and a complete set of shims. I'll see if I can't clean things out a bit while I'm in there.

Thanks for all the help guys. Please be on standby for when I run shrieking from the shop having messed something up.

JR
                      JR

Comment

Working...