• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I just got my "Fine WoodWorking - Tools and Shop" Winter 2017 in the mail today. Inside last cover Page: Festool PRO 5 LTD for $99.00. That is the ETS 150, but the "PRO 5 LTD" which is on the inside back cover does not show up on the web page. It is in fact the ETS 150.

So, how can they refuse to take any more orders when their ads are just today coming out in respectable magazines?

The magazine ad lists www.festoolusa.com. But they do not mention this on the web site.

BTW, I still have my order as "processing" and I ordered it on Oct. 5.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I recently contacted a new local Festool dealer about this deal ( after I had discovered that all other dealers had been told to not take any further orders) and found out the same thing, no future orders. These dealers must be under the knuckle of Festool so bad that they don't do anything without the Festool blessing. This new dealer earlier told me that if he violated any of their regulations they would back a truck up to his door and load all their stuff up and write home a check for what they think it was worth! I told him that maybe he really should have them back their truck up now before he started opening their stuff up! Maybe he started thinking because after 6 months he still doesn't have any Festool inventory on display!

Comment

• havighurst
        Established Member
        • Jun 2004
        • Metamora, MI, USA.

I received an email yesterday from Toolnut, where I placed my order, and it said that due to the overwhelming demand, they will have to manufacture more and it was expected to ship 3/23/17.
        \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

• LinuxRandal
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2005
          • Independence, MO, USA.
          • bt3100

The ad should have been canceled then. If they are naming this a limited model and already sold out before advertising it, there are some states laws that I expect they will have some issues with. (false advertisement, bait and switch things)
          This does make me like the idea of getting the Bosch, more and more, between that and my limited shop time the last several years.
          She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by havighurst
            I received an email yesterday from Toolnut, where I placed my order, and it said that due to the overwhelming demand, they will have to manufacture more and it was expected to ship 3/23/17.
            Whoooa. I gotta wait that long????

The ad should have been canceled then. If they are naming this a limited model and already sold out before advertising it, there are some states laws that I expect they will have some issues with. (false advertisement, bait and switch things)
            Agreed.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

I would say the lead time needed for the magazine would have precluded pulling the advertisements, much less changing them. It didn't help matters that some "helpful" individuals shared the deal with deal aggregation sites, which greatly taxed the supply chain. I want to say I saw numbers where Festool had estimated demand in the mid four digits, whereas orders reached into the mid five digits. Festool is going to do what I guessed at, and reintroducing the Pro5 in 2017 as the new ETS125. I don't believe the ad falls under either being false or bait and switch. Orders simply outstripped manufacturing capability.

If anyone is looking for thoughts on how the sander performs, I can provide. The other issue with Festool's web site is that they are having lots of issues, and switching to a new site hasn't helped things. It's not intentional.
              I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• woodturner
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2008
                • Western Pennsylvania
                • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                The ad should have been canceled then. If they are naming this a limited model and already sold out before advertising it, there are some states laws that I expect they will have some issues with. (false advertisement, bait and switch things).
                Yes, should have been cancelled, and easy enough to do even with magazines. Might have to put a "no longer available" sticker across the ad or mail a correction, but definitely possible regardless of the lead time or notice.

My state as well. Unless they advertise "limited quantities", they have to have reasonable quantities to sell and have to issue rain checks. Even if they say "limited quantities", they have to have and sell certain minimum numbers.

Our state AG regularly charges companies with advertising violations, often even big companies that should know better. If one were sufficiently concerned, a complaint filed with your state's AG would likely get you a sander.
                --------------------------------------------------
                Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by capncarl
                  This Sander comes with a dust bag so you don't have to have a vac. The bag seems to do a pretty good job.
                  Do you mean the 125 or the PRO 5? The PRO 5 does not come with a dust bag, or at least the ones in my local store don't have a dust bag.

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Well, it finally shipped. I should get it next week, April 5th: Festool PRO 5 LTD" ETS 125 REQ Random Orbital Sander

Anyone else order one and get a notice?
                    Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I didnt order, when I was told they were not accepting orders I took them at their word. Maybe now they have a supply and will take orders?

Comment

• woodturner
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by leehljp
                        Well, it finally shipped. I should get it next week, April 5th: Festool PRO 5 LTD" ETS 125 REQ Random Orbital Sander

Anyone else order one and get a notice?
                        I didn't order, just bought one at my local store.

Seems to be a decent sander. Probably wouldn't pay full price for it, but at $99 + a $50 gc it is a reasonable deal IMHO.

BTW, I probably won't use the gc, will probably sell it, PM if interested.

Comment

• leehljp
                          Just me
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Tunica, MS
                          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by woodturner

I didn't order, just bought one at my local store.

Seems to be a decent sander. Probably wouldn't pay full price for it, but at $99 + a $50 gc it is a reasonable deal IMHO.

BTW, I probably won't use the gc, will probably sell it, PM if interested.
                          What are the limitations on the Gift Certificate? What can it be used for, or not used for? (I won't get mine until next week.)
                          Hank Lee

Comment

• woodturner
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by leehljp

What are the limitations on the Gift Certificate? What can it be used for, or not used for? (I won't get mine until next week.)
                            $50 off any Festool in the current catalog purchased from a Festool dealer. not valid on the PRO 5 LTD or in conjunction with other discounts. Also says the voucher has to be redeemed on the website, I think you enter the code and they give you a coupon code. Otherwise seems like usual terms, nothing too odd.

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Got my Festool sander today (Wed.). I haven't had time to play with it though. Maybe tomorrow.
                              Hank Lee

Comment

• Mcilwain
                                Handtools only
                                • Apr 2017

Originally posted by woodturnder

$50 off any Festool in the current catalog purchased from a Festool dealer. not valid on the PRO 5 LTD or in conjunction with other discounts. Also says the voucher has to be redeemed from the instant knockout website I think you enter the code and they give you a coupon code. Otherwise seems like usual terms, nothing too odd.
                                Nice little bargain thanks.
                                Last edited by Mcilwain; 09-13-2017, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Working...