• Show
Clear All
  • woodturner
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Western Pennsylvania
    • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Freud Router at Lowe's

Freud 2 base router kit at Lowe.com, free shipping, $99.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night
  • herb fellows
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • New York City
    • bt3100

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but this has 2 reviews on Amazon, both horrible.

Apparently, I jumoped the gun in my criticism of this router. I should have gone further than Amazon for reviews! Most seem fairly happy with it, and I'm guessing they paid around $200, so for $99, probably well worth a shot!
    Last edited by herb fellows; 01-12-2009, 01:17 PM. Reason: got smarter!
    You don't need a parachute to skydive, you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Comment

• Mark Smith
      Established Member
      • Aug 2007
      • Southwest CT

True, two bad reviews on Amazon, but good reviews from a lot of woodworkers. Most say the plunge base isn't the best available, but is serviceable. Many seem to like the fact that with the fixed base one can mount the router in a router table and have above the table height adjustment and bit changes. For $99 it seems it would be hard to go wrong especially if you will table mount it.

Just my $.02

Comment

• woodturner
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2008
        • Western Pennsylvania
        • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

this has 2 reviews on Amazon, both horrible

======

Yes, I've noticed Amazon tends to have some pretty inaccurate reviews sometimes. I think people post reviews that aren't really familiar with the item or how to use it. Or maybe they just got a bad one - some claim that Amazon resells returned merchandise, but I don't know if that's accurate or not.

For some more realistic and accurate reviews, I searched for reviews from woodworkers and found this thread. Looks like one of the Amazon reviewers must have started the thread - it's not clear that he even tried the tool. Several other folks who actually use the tool jump in a few posts down and say how well they like it.

I can tell you that mine has none of the problems the Amazon reviewers cited. Hard to find any 2 1/4 plunge router for under $100, let alone a pretty decent one.
        --------------------------------------------------
        Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by herb fellows
          Not to rain on anyone's parade, but this has 2 reviews on Amazon, both horrible.
          It has good reviews on Epinions. Who's right? Two dissenting opinions of the thousands of routers sold is good! It's much easier to write a review on Amazon, and they tend to have much less content. Amazon has almost no checks and balances whatsoever on their reviews. Writers on Amazon can and do get away with things like writing a bad review because the package wasn't delivered in time for their birthday party.

My experience with this router has been excellent for table use....I tend to choose over my more power Milwaukee 5625 because the above table features are so handy.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

So Lowes is still dumping off the Freud Avanti... Makes me wonder why. Avanti owners, can you shed any light on this?
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• master53yoda
              Established Member
              • Oct 2008
              • Spokane Washington
              • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

frued table router

I use the frued router in my table the height adjustment is great as well as the ability to easily change router bits from above the table. It has plenty of power and built in speed control. I like the router very much. It also will accept large diameter bits with the main base plate. I paid 190 for min when i bought from Lowes 2 years ago so 99 is a steal.
              Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• Mark Smith
                Established Member
                • Aug 2007
                • Southwest CT

It isn't just Lowes. There have been a number of e-tailers selling in the $88-139 range for this set since early December. Perhaps Freud has excess inventory or is about to repackage this router and made some good deals available to clean out what they had. I haven't seen anything to indicate that the router was the problem. So everyone's guess is valid as to why the good deal. I'd just hop on it if you are interested because Lowes is about the only retailer now offering the package at $100 that I know of. The clock is ticking.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

It does sound like a good deal, but I would honestly prefer a second Hitachi KM12VC kit, only because I have one, and would like to match...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2007
                    • Chapel Hill, NC
                    • Ryobi BT3100

The *only* thing I don't really like about this router is the power switch. (I much prefer the toggle switch as opposed to a slider.)

I picked up the $99 deal and so far I love it. I've used it a number of times, but only in the router table. (I've heard that the plunge base is not the best, but like I say, I didn't even try it.)

Highly recommended. It even came with a free suit of armor!

online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                    while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                    "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

• JeffG78
                      Established Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
                      • BT3100

I got the Lowe's deal and so far, so good. I have only used it a few times so far and only mounted to the BT3, but I like the way it works. The switch isn't as good as a rocker, but I use the BT3 switch so it doesn't matter when mounted. Also, I didn't like how the bit hangs low and off-center when adjusting the height. It is still nice to have above table adjustment, but it takes some trial and error to get the height fine tuned. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but when the body is unlocked for height adjustment, the motor tips in the base since the height adjuster is off to the side. As the body lock is tightened, the bit straightens and raises a bit. This is easy to work around, but will take some practice.

Otherwise, it's great. Plenty of power, the soft start is nice, the VS works well, and it runs very smoothly and is quiet. I haven't tried the plunge base yet, but I suspect that it will be servicable which is all I ask for $100. I would have spent WAY more than that for other routers.

Comment

• BrazosJake
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2003
                        • Benbrook, TX.
                        • Emerson-built Craftsman

Hmm, may have to pull the trigger. I currently have 2 routers in this class, PC 7529 & Makita 1101 dual base. Not thrilled with either one.

One thing I like about the PC is the vaccum base. Does the Freud have anything like it?

Comment

• Knottscott
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Rochester, NY.
                          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Alex Franke
                          The *only* thing I don't really like about this router is the power switch. (I much prefer the toggle switch as opposed to a slider.)

I picked up the $99 deal and so far I love it. I've used it a number of times, but only in the router table. (I've heard that the plunge base is not the best, but like I say, I didn't even try it.)

Highly recommended. It even came with a free suit of armor!

Looks like "Sir Growlsalot" is enjoying that sword and shield!
                          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

I picked up this Frued router at the last bargan alert at Lowes. As soon as I took it out of the box and tired it the motor smoked. A quick trip back to Lowes they swaped it for the last one on the shelf. I checked this one at home and both handles fell off. Lowes let me swap them with the ones from the unit that I had returned and I have had no other problems with it. I like this router, it performs well but I am still cautious with it, and hope that my first experience with it is not an indication of their quality control.

capncarl

Comment

• JackAZ
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Sep 2004
                              • Tucson, AZ, USA.

Freud Avanti

I picked one up online at the $99 price for exclusive use in my table and so far have had no problem with it. It seems to do everything I ask of it without difficulty, and I do not have the problem with height adjustment noted by JeffG78, in fact I find it quite easy to use with no tipping. and the bit change is equally easy and consistent. Haven't used the bases and don't intend to, as I will now dedicate the Bosch to hansheld along with the Colt for light edgework. I do agree with the comment on the power switch but my table has its own handy power bat.

And for the record, it appears thet Freud is dropping this model in favor of a very similar 3 and a quarter horse model. But the $99 is tough to beat.
                              Jack

Comment

Working...