Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Bought a new asalt weapon

Click image for larger version

Name:	bug-a-salt.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	833114My brother has one, and I spent a couple hours shooting flies and giggling like a schoolgirl. Good drinking game. This is the high-power outdoor version. I need to put it on the chrono and weigh the loads to see what it can really do. I'm considering the LASER sight, though I'm not sure if that would help with flies.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

We have mosquitoes here but for the most part, we don't have many bugs here. I want one, though. The Customer Questions are pretty funny.

Comment

• Carlos
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I haven't tried it on mosquitos yet, but will. We get a small amount, but found a 100% working repellent for them so we haven't seen any in months. And yeah, the reviews/questions are hilarity.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

This time of the year we have a lots of Carpenter bees buzzing around everywhere. They will swoop down and hover around you, probably trying to scare you off. I usually “launch” them into the next county with an old racquet ball racket, but just for laughs I try to shoot them down with my bug a salt gun . Sometimes I get a lucky shot!

One of the local bars in Mexico Beach Fla has 5-6 Bug A Salt guns setting around in their outdoor gathering areas for the patrons to ward off the biting deer flies. It’s deadly on them!....... until someone shoots one off your leg or ankle and a causes a fight. That thing hurts.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

I bought 5 about 5 years ago to give to my three daughters, and have two on hand - one at home and one at work. I get a kick out of using them. Mine were version 1.0 and are yellow and black.
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Interesting... I have never noticed these before. I take it that they shoot plain old table salt, something like an air gun? They kill the insect by impact, like a mini shotgun? Tell me more, like where do you buy one (I'll have to look it up on Amazon or somewhere.

Years ago, back in my publishing days when I used to paste-up type for camera-ready copy sheets to send to the printer (back in that ancient time before digital anything) I used to use a lot of rubber cement and a product called "Bestine" which was rubber cement thinner. Used it for clean-up or for lifting previous glued galley sheets. We all kept it in little squirt-type oil cans for dispensing. The stuff looked like alcohol but smelled much different. It would dry almost instantly on contact and leave no residue whatsoever. We found it was great for killing flies. Even in mid air, they'd die instantly, sort of freezing and falling to the floor or desktop. Once that was discovered we'd go through a couple gallons of the stuff in the summer time. No flies on us... not alive anyway.

But I now live here in the city, and it is fairly rare that we get fly anywhere but in in the garage or around the grapes vines, the "bug-a-salt" might be the trick out in the work shed though, so thanks for posting.

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

OT but similar: The bug-salts will not kill wasps, hornets, yellow jackets or large bees and I would not want to get close enough to try! However I learned a good "no-harsh chemical" that kills instantly - a tablespoon of dishwashing detergent in a gallon of water in a pump pressure sprayer will drop them in an instant. No harsh chemicals or smells. I have been using this for about 10 years and is far more effective and quicker (in my considerable experience) than those cans of wasp/hornet spray from the hardware store. But for flys, I love the bug-asalt.
              Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

Cwsmith. The bug a salt gun is a nice heavy plastic shaped salt shot gun that seems to have the same internal workings of an old Daisy BB gun. It blows a pinch of table salt at high velocity for 2-4 feet. I’ve tested it a lot on my wife’s shrubbery. She hasn’t figure out what’s happening to the leaves that are shreadded. At less than 2 feet it will blow a hole in an thick leaf the size of a dime. An insect doesn’t have a chance. After 2 feet the velocity dies and there is little penetration of salt through the leaves. A few grains of salt sometimes knocks down a bug, but it usually gets away. 2 feet seems to be its maximum effective range.
                I have killed a number of wasps with my bug gun, and a pile of flies, but the most fun is shooting moths that are attracted to my patio lights. A well placed shot knocks their wings off and sends them spiraling to the ground where the toad frogs make quick work of their prey.
                When I bought my bug a salt I don’t think that the higher power gun was available, but I would quickly trade up if I could find one!

Comment

• cwsmith
                  cwsmith commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Carl,

I presume the salt doesn't actually penetrate the body of the moths to any great extent. worried about hardening of the arteries in those feasting frogs.

CWS
              • Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I bought this on Amazon for $43, and the regular version is $41. I don't know why you'd buy that one, but they say the high power version is for outdoor use. I've also seen it in a few stores from Walmart to Cabela's. It uses regular salt, propelled by a spring and piston.

TIP: If you superglue the safety in fire position, you won't have to deal with the fact that it resets EVERY time you pump in a new load (every shot).

Comment

• Slik Geek
                  • Dec 2006
                  • Lake County, Illinois
                  • Ryobi BT-3000

I purchased the same model A-Salt weapon this winter in anticipation of using it this spring when the flies arrive. As cold as it has been here in northern Illinois, it may be June before I'll have a chance to try it out. I already have another device for slower moving insects - the "high voltage tennis racquet" type. I find it very satisfying when I'm pestered by a bug. I'm guessing it will be a similar result with the A-Salt gun too.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I didn’t get much usage out of the electronic tennis racquet before it quit working. None of these devices are much good if you have small children around who insist on playing with them. I wouldn’t let the grandkids play with mine but after the electronic racquet died the grandkids beat it to pieces on the edge of the table and chairs like it was a regular fly swatter. When kids show up at the house I just put the bug a salt in my shop where they won’t find it and do something stupid.

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

When I read the title I thought of this....

Click image for larger version

Name:	A Salt Rifle.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	833230
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

Working...