Whats the value of a 27" Sony Color CRT TV?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Wow, didn't know Best Buy was now charging $25 to take TVs. Sure glad I got rid of all mine already... had one last straggler that I finally brought there about a year or so ago... it was sitting in my office an got only occasional use, but we updated another small flat panel and so I moved the older flat panel down there.

I could barely get anyone interested in reusing my really nice CRT-based Sony Wega (a $1000 TV in about 2002) back in 2008.I think I finally sold it for $50, and that was 10 years ago. Tube TVs have no value anymore, and I can understand why when you can routinely buy a 36" LED HDTV for $300-ish, and a 20" one for about $100.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

We stopped bring stuff to Goodwill, Its a for profit company. We now bring or stuff to Salvation Army.

Comment

• Carlos
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Not true. However, they do pay their CEO an exorbitant salary, while Salvation Army does not. But then Salvation Army uses DELETED BY MODERATOR to actively discriminate against people. So I choose neither.

Goodwill Industries International Inc., or shortened to Goodwill, (stylized as goodwill) is an American nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization that provides job training, employment placement services, and other community-based programs for people who have barriers preventing them from otherwise obtaining a job
        Last edited by dbhost; 02-22-2018, 02:32 PM. Reason: Edited by moderator: Removed wording in violation of terms of use. See site rules on religion and politics.

Comment

• woodturner
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2008
          • Western Pennsylvania
          • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
          We stopped bring stuff to Goodwill, Its a for profit company.
          We have stopped donating to Goodwill for just that reason. Goodwill tries to hide that fact, and technically they may still be a "non profit", but they still make huge profits by accepting free donations and reselling them. Much of what people donate is sold to industry and businesses, little of it actually ends up in the stores. They have also gotten very fussy about what donations they will accept, and have stopped the job training and employment services that was their original mission.

I do donate a lot to the Salvation Army, they are a true non-profit that helps people while not paying people crazy high salaries to do it.

--------------------------------------------------
          Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Carlos
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Originally posted by woodturner
            but they still make huge profits by accepting free donations and reselling them.
            Huh, so you've never seen the Salvation Army stores where they, you know, accept free donations and resell them for a profit? You know that's part of the point of fundraising, no?

Comment

• woodturner
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2008
              • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Carlos

so you've never seen the Salvation Army stores where they, you know, accept free donations and resell them for a profit?

Correct, none of us have, the Salvation Army doe not "resell <donations> for a profit".

The Salvation Army is a non-profit. That means they cannot legally make a net profit, which is why they cannot have a store where they resell donations "for a profit". Unlike other organizations like Goodwill, the Salvation Army truly is a non-profit and does not work around the laws to get the tax benefits of a non-profit for what is in reality a for profit business.

Maybe the concept of "profit" is not clear - selling something for more than acquisition cost is not necessarily "making a profit".

Regardless, it does not seem this really relates to the topic and it seems that further discussion of this is not appropriate and may violate board rules.

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by woodturner
                and have stopped the job training and employment services that was their original mission.
                I was trying to stay out of this, but I'm going to have to ask for a cite on that one. Job training and placement is *the* mission of Goodwill. Your donations fund these programs. I would love to see a cite to the contrary.

Comment

• woodturner
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • Western Pennsylvania

Originally posted by tfischer

I was trying to stay out of this, but I'm going to have to ask for a cite on that one. Job training and placement is *the* mission of Goodwill. Your donations fund these programs. I would love to see a cite to the contrary.
                  An internet search will find pages of cites about the issues with Goodwill and how their "job training" programs are primarily methods to hire workers below minimum wage while providing no real training. Here is one example:
                  A Goodwill worker in Sioux Falls, S.D. For Sheila Leigland, a blind Goodwill employee in Great Falls, Montana, earning $3.99 an hour was already tough. But when the Rockville, Md.-based nonprofit wanted to cut her salary to $2.75, she decided it was time to quit. &#8220;I want to be paid a [...]

Another aspect that might not be obvious is that when Goodwill switched to a "for profit" business model they also divided up into separate organizations. Now "Goodwill" is a collective of more local Goodwill affiliates. It appears that some of the affiliates may still be doing some job training, but many are not. I think that is why so many people are up in arms against Goodwill, they have largely abandoned their original reason for existing.

I'm not sure I can contribute productively to further discussion of this, so I will probably let the discussion continue without me.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

There's a difference between making a profit and having a net profit

If I put $100 in someone's collection plate they made a profit.
                    If they take a freely given TV and sell it for $100 they made a profit.
                    But if they use the profit to provide jobs and services, then they have expenses.
                    Even the Girl scouts sell cookies as a fundraiser. Those cookies only cost a few cents and they sell for a couple of bucks. Frankly I think they all taste bad. But they use all of the profits to fund their operations.
                    As long as the expenses match the profits they will have Zero Net Profit and they will meet the government approved requirement for a Non-profit, tax free institution

Geez, guys, let it rest. This is way off topic.

Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-22-2018, 05:20 PM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carlos
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2004
                      • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      There's a difference between making a profit and having a net profit
                      Get outta here with your logic and reasoning.

Comment

• Black walnut
                        Administrator
                        • Aug 2015
                        • BT3K

Sad that you have to pay to get rid of a used TV.

My take on thrift stores is they do allow folks to buy second hand products for far less than fair market value. That is a good thing. Many are not as fortunate as I.
                        just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• organicot
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Feb 2018

Originally posted by LCHIEN

That's why a lot of e-waste gets sent to India and low labor/no environmental law enforcement countries.
                          You find these shops by the side of the road where some poor guy scrapping to make a living is melting down pots of shredded Printed circuit boards trying to reclaim gold and silver from the ICs and solder and circuit traces and breathing all kinds of lead and other toxic elements for a few cents worth of gold. A lot of the other chemicals and heavy metals get dumped into the environment.
                          Never knew this, disgusting. I thought we paid taxes to recyle this stuff.

Comment

Working...