Whats the value of a 27" Sony Color CRT TV?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Whats the value of a 27" Sony Color CRT TV?

I have two of these, both working in good condition (i.e. not beat up scratched) with remotes

Is there any value at all to them?
    Does any agencies like Goodwill want them or is their value essentially zero?

I recently put out a neighborhood message for a free 20-inch CRT working Samsung, no one took it and the trash guys crushed it.

P.S. I called Goodwill, I told them it was a CRT but a 27" Sony working; they said they'd like to have it.
    PPS when i took it to goodwill 20 minutes later the guy said they don't take domed TVs. When I requested he check with the girl who answered the phone, he took it.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-07-2018, 01:20 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

There's a charity here called a Wider Circle. They take furniture donations--including CRTs--and provide them to people in need. It was great for us because they showed up one weekend and took a whole bunch of used furniture away for us. Typically, I'd have to carry it to the curb once a month or carry the TV to our county recycling facility.

Comment

• woodturner
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2008
      • Western Pennsylvania
      • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN

P.S. I called Goodwill, I told them it was a CRT but a 27" Sony working; they said they'd like to have it.
      PPS when i took it to goodwill 20 minutes later the guy said they don't take domed TVs. When I requested he check with the girl who answered the phone, he took it.
      That's surprising, around here Goodwill and other charities will not take CRTs. Garbage collectors won't take them because they are hazardous waste and it's not legal to put them in the household waste stream (not sure if that is state or federal EPA law). Basically the only option to get rid of them is to pay a recycler to take them.

--------------------------------------------------
      Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Look around at schools and other organizations. Many raise money by hosting "e-waste recycling" events where you can drop off electronic stuff for free. The schools get some amount of money per pound of e-waste. I've even seen local Home Depot stores allow some group to borrow a corner of the parking lot for an e-waste recycling event. Unless state/local regulations prohibit such events it seems one should be able to avoid paying to get rid of e-waste assuming one can wait for one of these events.

Electronic things have lots of hazardous chemicals which is why they're not supposed to end up in landfills. Solder contains lead, stuff inside electrolytic capacitors is nasty, etc. Even plain old batteries are considered hazardous waste and aren't supposed to go to landfills; rechargeable batteries even more so. Most new style light bulbs (LED, fluorescent, etc) aren't supposed to end up in landfills either.

mpc

Comment

• d_meister
          Established Member
          • Feb 2009
          • La Conner, WA.
          • BT3000

In California, Goodwill accepts all e-waste including CRT's. The state collects a fee on new purchases that fund recycling of electronics, and Goodwill gets paid from that. Their people strip it down and put the bits into the proper recycle stream.

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by d_meister
            In California, Goodwill accepts all e-waste including CRT's. The state collects a fee on new purchases that fund recycling of electronics, and Goodwill gets paid from that. Their people strip it down and put the bits into the proper recycle stream.
            Does Goodwill still actually do that in your area? Goodwill became a for-profit corporation a few years back, and around here at least they have stopped all the training programs for the disabled, recycling, and other community outreach and support things they used to do. Now their focus is getting donations and selling them for profit.
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• knotley
              Established Member
              • Apr 2003
              • Canada.

If they are 27" WEGA Sony tvs, they have value. I sold one within one hour on Craigslist. They are valued for the current craze of playing vintage video games. These old TV sets have RCA jacks, which is what the old vintage video game consoles have. The new "old" games only have HDMI

Comment

• d_meister
                Established Member
                • Feb 2009
                • La Conner, WA.
                • BT3000

Originally posted by woodturner

Does Goodwill still actually do that in your area? Goodwill became a for-profit corporation a few years back, and around here at least they have stopped all the training programs for the disabled, recycling, and other community outreach and support things they used to do. Now their focus is getting donations and selling them for profit.
                Yes, I bring them stuff frequently. I often come across something like a motherboard or old routers that I've finally separated my emotional attachment from and out it goes. We keep a pile going for electronics that will go to Goodwill and take the stuff in maybe once a month, depending how big the pile gets. I strip down old hard drives for the magnets and to keep the data out of the wild, The electronics cases and hardware go into the box. Goodwill here takes any e-waste without exception. It also appears that they at least employ some people with disabilities or learning challenges. I'm not familiar with their broader mission, but I might ask next time I'm there.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Do you suppose Goodwill tries to harvest the gold from some boards as well? (Istill see advertising in my prospecting magazines about salvaging gold from electronic devices. )

Comment

• d_meister
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2009
                    • La Conner, WA.
                    • BT3000

"...harvest the gold...?"

I don't have any info on that, and gave it a try to find out from my friend, Google, but the low-hanging fruit is all about the recycle program, http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/default.asp
                    From what I've heard in the past, the payoff in gold, metals, or minerals is more than lost to labor costs to break things down. Since those costs are covered by fees, it would seem to me that the next hurdles would be cost of energy to recover, and toxic substance control that would be the by-product of roasting plastics, metals, and other substances together to precipitate out the gold. But that's all conjecture, on my part.
                    Incidentally, those hard drive magnets are worth mining, yourself. They'll hold a cast iron 3" drill press vise up in the air.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by d_meister
                      "...harvest the gold...?"

I don't have any info on that, and gave it a try to find out from my friend, Google, but the low-hanging fruit is all about the recycle program, http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/default.asp
                      From what I've heard in the past, the payoff in gold, metals, or minerals is more than lost to labor costs to break things down. Since those costs are covered by fees, it would seem to me that the next hurdles would be cost of energy to recover, and toxic substance control that would be the by-product of roasting plastics, metals, and other substances together to precipitate out the gold. But that's all conjecture, on my part.
                      Incidentally, those hard drive magnets are worth mining, yourself. They'll hold a cast iron 3" drill press vise up in the air.
                      That's why a lot of e-waste gets sent to India and low labor/no environmental law enforcement countries.
                      You find these shops by the side of the road where some poor guy scrapping to make a living is melting down pots of shredded Printed circuit boards trying to reclaim gold and silver from the ICs and solder and circuit traces and breathing all kinds of lead and other toxic elements for a few cents worth of gold. A lot of the other chemicals and heavy metals get dumped into the environment.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• KenBurris
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2003
                        • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

Accepted at Best Buy Stores
                        Recycling is intended for residents only. Products from businesses and organizations, or items that present a health or safety hazard are not accepted.

Products We Recycle for Free

Limit three items per household per day.
                        • - Battery Backups (UPS)*
                        • - Cables and Connectors*
                        • - DirecTV Set-Top Box/Converters
                        • - DVD/Blu-ray Players
                        • - Headphones*
                        • - In-Dash/Overhead DVD
                        • - Internet TV Set-Top Box/Satellite Receivers
                        • - Portable DVD*
                        • - Portable Media Players
                        • - Power Inverters*
                        • - Projectors
                        • - Remotes/Surge Protectors
                        • - TiVO
                        • - TV Antennas less than 3' long
                        • - VCRs
                        • - Wall Mounts

Products We Recycle for a $25 Fee per Item

Limit two TVs per household per day.
                        • - Tube TVs smaller than 32"
                        • - Flat Panel TVs: LCD, Plasma, LED
                          smaller than 50"
                        • - Portable TVs

Products with an asterisk (*) are also accepted at Best Buy Mobile Stores. There are no store drop-off fees in California. Stores in Connecticut and Pennsylvania do not accept TVs for drop-off.

Looks like the Salvation Army will take them also

WE ACCEPT WORKING TVs ONLY... NO CONSOLE TV Click OK to add this item, or CANCEL to not add at this tim
                        Last edited by KenBurris; 01-12-2018, 12:02 AM.
                        Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          LCHIEN commented
                          Editing a comment
                          thanks, Ken!
                      • knotley
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2003
                        • Canada.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

We have one of those giant Sony Wega 37" CRTs as well. There really is no resale / donation value to them. Maybe $50.00 max. I am using a digital converter box to receive signals with it, however, once we upgrade to a large flat screen, I am going to go with a retailer that offers delivery and haul away. Make the monstrosity of a CRT their problem.
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Carlos
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2004
                            • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

A neighbor tried to donate one this weekend, they turned him down at two places. Can't give it away. Couldn't fit in the trash. Had to pay to dump it.

Comment

Working...