• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Packing up shop

Our packout is fast approaching. I've been finishing up projects at breakneck speed but my wife wants me to cease and desist so I can focus on cleaning up and getting organized for the move. Professional movers will pack everything but I need to organize so they can do their thing and I can do mine.11 years of clutter to organize in 1 week. Thank goodness I have these extra holiday days because I'm still working full-time, too.

Anyway, I have to decide what tools I want to bring with me and what tools to store. My big tools will definitely have to be stored, but our new apartment has a sun room area that I think I can use to do some woodworking. I'm going to bring all my hand tools--chisels, saws, planes, pliers, hammer, etc--but I need to decide on what powered equipment to bring. All my cordless drill/drivers will come--some on the plane in checked baggage in case I need to do something immediately. My jigsaw, palm router, multitool, random orbit sander, and Dremel will be shipped later. I'm on the fence about my circular saw, track saw, and Domino, but I feel like I want to bring the track saw with short track and the Domino, I'm going to store the miter saw. I'm thinking I will bring whatever sandpaper I have. I think I can have the wood glue and finish (water borne) shipped later with the tools. I'm going to ask the shipping guy if they would ever experience freezing temps. I need to separate out what bits of hardware (screws/nails) I want to bring vs store. 2 car garage down to a sunroom of undetermined size. Oy vey.

We are going to a developed country but I don't know what's really available for me locally. I'm going to find a shop vac locally. I'm going to bring my B&D Workmate and a couple of plastic sawhorses, too.

OK, enough dilly dallying. Back to cleaning. Let me know if you think of anything.
  • J.H.Smith
    SawdustZone Patron
    • Nov 2017
    • Central Florida
    • vintage Sears 10" PROseries

I feel your pain, Bro - I FEEL YOUR PAIN !!

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I STILL have a couple tools that I haven't unpacked from my overseas move in Dec. 2010: 1. a Delta thickness plainer (Been using my Ryobi AP1301 planer that I had here) ; 2. a long discontinued HF Radial drill press. I had to take it apart to bring it home.

I had absolutely no problem with my 120V tools working in the 100V environment in either 50Hz (Tokyo) or 60Hz (Osaka & Nagoya). And I have not had any problem with several 100V tools (angle grinder, corded drill, circular saw, 1/4 sheet sander) working continuously here in the US under 120V. The best circular saw I have is a Hitachi that cost the equivalent of about $400. Love that saw. SWEET cutting, powerful too. I don't use it for rough cut but for precision smooth cutting.

I have two Variacs (20amp each) that I used when over there and brought back over here. I used them to raise the voltage to 120 over there until I figured out my USA tools worked without degradation on 100V. Back here, I plugged the Variacs in and cut my voltage down to 100V for a month or two when using Japan tools; Gradually I learned that the 120V didn't hurt the 100V tools at all.

If I had a domino, I most certainly would not leave it behind. One thing I do is check voltages
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

I jinxed myself by writing this post. I've come down with a cold and have been confined to the house all day. Not what I needed.

Today we donated a bunch of furniture to a local charity so the house doesn't look as packed as it did. Yesterday I donated about 200bf of lumber to a woodworking charity that makes toys for kids. Our kids' school is one of their adopted schools. I am going to store some of my most prized slabs for when we come back. Just didn't have the time to work with them.

We're celebrating Christmas with the family tomorrow at my parents' house. I'm bringing the two dressers I built for my daughters to their house. It didn't seem right to put them away in storage and not be used.

I'm now looking for last minute projects I need to complete at the house because I don't want to put my tools away just to need them later. The head packer is coming on Tuesday to survey all our stuff. I want to have the shop in some semblance of order to get a realistic estimate. Fortunately most of the shop goes in long term storage so I have about 3 weeks to get it sorted. The stuff that's coming with has to be sorted in a week.

Comment

• os1kne
          • Jan 2003
          • Atlanta, GA
          • BT3100

Moving somewhere new is an adventure. I moved 5.5 years ago, and there's still a bunch that hasn't been unpacked. Running back and forth to a storage unit and digging through boxes looking for something that you remember having isn't fun, but it's part of the adventure. Good luck!
          Bill

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20171229_120057.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	832393

I might have to do a shop tour after all this is done and my shop is clean. This wall was completely loaded with lumber about a week ago. I've detensioned the drive belts on the BS and jointer and coiled up all the BS blades. I might disassemble the DC today and finish all the vacuuming with the shopvac.

The garage doors are almost clear and we'll see if they still open. It's been probably 10 years since I last used the overhead motors and 2 years since I last opened one of the doors to move the jointer in. Once things are sorted, I'm going to open the doors and blow out all the dust with the leaf blower.

You know how we all say our shops could be bigger? If I had actually taken the time to tidy up now and again, this place would have been an absolute joy to be in. Hopefully lesson learned and something I don't repeat in the future.

If I have time, I'm seriously considering taking the surface mounted 30A circuit and all the wiring and conduit back to the panel for my jointer. Lot of $$$ tied up in there and I'll let the next person figure it out.

Back to work. Thank goodness for shop heat!

Paul
            Attached Files

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

The house and shop got packed up today. Actually, this was the second packout. Movers came 2 weeks ago on a similarly freezing day and packed up all the items we we're shipping. That group was awesome. 2 men, 2 women packed and loaded 4500lbs of stuff in under 6 hrs. When I asked the head loader, how much do you think this all weighs, he said prob 4500 with all the packing materials. Actual weigh was 4412. They were seasoned pros.

Last Friday a crew came on a 65deg day to pack up manageable (light) items and today in below freezing weather, the other crew came to load those boxes and my shop.

I'll give them credit for having strong backs, but man, they did not use their brains. For starters, our stuff goes directly into crates but these companies only use ramps and no lift gates. The previous crews worked well in teams but these guys tried to muscle things themselves or didn't immediately jump in to help their crew. For example, 2 guys tried to roll my 500lb jointer up the ramp. I mentioned to one guy, I think you need to go help them out. Oh, right, was his response just as a 4th guy jumped in to help. I think this team was just green.

Anyway, hopefully it all survives the trip to the warehouse and back out in however many years it is until I see them again. Maybe by then, I'll be waiting with a forklift.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Oh boy, all our stuff got delivered yesterday. I packed nearly all my hand tools, etc into this Ridgid rolling tool box on sale during Black Friday. It's great. I packed a can of water based finish in it--sealed in a Ziploc than put into a plastic tub, but when the movers loaded this cart, they laid it on its back. I wasn't sure if the can lid would hold for 2 months but it did.

Name:	MVIMG_20180102_102012-756x1008.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	179.9 KB
ID:	832959
                But then I got all my other stuff that I mentioned above (and more). My wife is wondering where it's all going to go. When we got pics of the apartment, it wasn't clear if the balcony was completely enclosed above or not. It's not so my plans of setting up a little shop out there are shot. I will have to wheel or carry everything out there and then bring it all back in, or deal with the rain (very little), birds, or the neighbor 4 storys up who waters her plants and let's everything Cascade down to me. We do have a storage closet in the basement of the building so the tools might have to live there until project time comes along. And I thought running between the house and the garage at our old house was bad!

​​​​​​​My next mission after we get our car is to find some lumber/wood. A couple weeks ago someone had thrown out 2 good sized melamine covered boards. I'm still kicking myself for not scavenging them. When I decided to pick them up a couple hours later, they were gone.
                Attached Files

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

My wife spotted some wooden crates in the parking lot at work yesterday. I think they held computer equipment. She got clearance to take what we wanted so I brought the car and loaded up what I could reasonable carry on the roof rack. 3 big panels and a medium one. Love this woman!

The panels are 10' long and range from 2' to 3' wide. It was too long to fit in our garage storage closet so I had to break them down Other than a light bulb and an overhead light tube, there is no other power. However, I did pack my Irwin handsaw with me. I love that thing except for the time it sent me to the ER for stitches. The panels are an 8' board plus a 2' board reinforced by some 1x stock. I simply had to cut through the long banding boards and apply some downward pressure to defeat the staples.

The panels are just 15/32 but free is free. I've got some projects in mind. I wish I had packed more wood glue, though. Stay tuned.

Name:	IMG_20180414_091036-756x1008.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	833092

Comment

Working...