• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Tablet Connection to Home Audio

I just dug out an old JVC 100W amp from the late 80s. I would like to connect my Samsung Tab4 tablet to it to listen to files I have stored on the tablet. I want to connect the headphone outlet of the tablet to the AUX inlet of the amplifier. I have a cable that has a 3.5 headphone plug on one end and two RCA plugs on the other. Is there any reason I should not do this? Any possible problems with connecting this newer technology to the old amp? Is there any better way to make this connection? I am attaching a photo of the back of the amp. Many thanks.
    Richard
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

If the amp is working properly, there shouldn't be any problem. I plugged my iPad into the sound system of the VFW for my daughter's wedding reception using that exact method. It worked like a charm and I bet the VFW equipment was at least that old. It's probably also the only way to connect them since the amp only has analog connections.
    Chr's

Comment

• os1kne
      • Jan 2003
      • Atlanta, GA
      • BT3100

Your method should work fine. If you want to be wireless using bluetooth , this link may be helpful. I bought one of these a couple of years ago to stream music from my iphone to my home A/V system (doesn't have bluetooth).

FYI - the device charges using a micro-USB charger (not included, but most of us probably have an old phone charger that would work.)
      Amazon.com: Etekcity Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 Receiver Audio Adapter (NFC-Enabled) for Sound System: Electronics
      Bill

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

What you want to do should work just fine.
        Headphone out should drive the Aux input, the only oddity is that you'll have two adjustments for volume - the volume on the tablet and the volume on the amp. The best thing to do is to roughly match the volume of say the FM selector with the volume of the tablet, leave the tablet where it is and use the amps volume, that way, no surprise volume changes when going between input selections.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks twistsol and LChien for your comments. Makes me feel better about trying this. Also, thanks os1kne for the bluetooth suggestion; I hadn't thought of that. I can see where that could be useful in the future.
          Richard
          Richard

Comment

• d_meister
            Established Member
            • Feb 2009
            • La Conner, WA.
            • BT3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            What you want to do should work just fine.
            Headphone out should drive the Aux input, the only oddity is that you'll have two adjustments for volume - the volume on the tablet and the volume on the amp. The best thing to do is to roughly match the volume of say the FM selector with the volume of the tablet, leave the tablet where it is and use the amps volume, that way, no surprise volume changes when going between input selections.
            Loring, I'm unclear how a line out from the tablet plugged into headphone-out on the stereo could work. Can it be bi-directional? He wants to use the tablet as a source for the stereo amp, if I understand correctly. I use the same type of RCA to mini-stereo cable plugged into three amps around the house. None have "Aux" inputs, so the cables are all plugged into "CD" inputs. I use eBay bluetooth cheapie receivers plugged into all of them, like these
            Also, the connection may not work or work well with the "Phono" input because of pre-amp issues, or if plugged into "Tape", that obscure "Tape Monitor" function may need to be selected. "Aux" input is ideal, since it's just about intuitive.
            The volume point is spot-on, Loring; on my units, as well as the car, I have to crank the volume up full-tilt on the phones or tablets to get a decent input level to the amp units, then I control sound level with the amp or remote for the amp.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by d_meister
              Loring, I'm unclear how a line out from the tablet plugged into headphone-out on the stereo could work. Can it be bi-directional? He wants to use the tablet as a source for the stereo amp, if I understand correctly. I use the same type of RCA to mini-stereo cable plugged into three amps around the house. None have "Aux" inputs, so the cables are all plugged into "CD" inputs. I use eBay bluetooth cheapie receivers plugged into all of them, like these
              Also, the connection may not work or work well with the "Phono" input because of pre-amp issues, or if plugged into "Tape", that obscure "Tape Monitor" function may need to be selected. "Aux" input is ideal, since it's just about intuitive.
              The volume point is spot-on, Loring; on my units, as well as the car, I have to crank the volume up full-tilt on the phones or tablets to get a decent input level to the amp units, then I control sound level with the amp or remote for the amp.
              I mean Headphone output from the tablet to the Aux In of the stereo.
              I thought it was perfectly clear that "out" as in "headphone out" meant an output and "Aux input" referred to an input on the Stereo. And since the tablet was the source you needed its output. And since the destination was the stereo you wanted to use an input on it. But maybe I assumed too much.

Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• d_meister
                Established Member
                • Feb 2009
                • La Conner, WA.
                • BT3000

Whoops! Guess I didn't think about it enough. I fixated on the headphone jack on the front of the Amp just 4 feet away from me. Sorry to confuse the issue!

Comment

Working...