X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black walnut
    Administrator
    • Aug 2015
    • BT3K

I buy a fair amount from Amazon and through them. For me, considering my daily drive is from here to the Puget Sound region shopping Amazon is shopping local. I am saddened by the success of one large company at the expense of many smaller ones however cost matters and so does expert information to help guide purchases. The later seems to be mostly missing from most retail shopping these days.

I work long hours. Standing in lines is not something I really have time for.
    just another brick in the wall...

Boycott McAfee. They placed an unresponsive popup on my pc.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I'll have to agree with that as the first time I was told to buy something on Amazon for my grandson's the price was a real shock. Back when the boys were young we used to ask their parents what they would like and my DIL would usually have a list. That one year my son told me the best place was on Amazon, and though we had yet to use them at the time, I took a look. Then I went to Toys-R-Us where the price was about 30% less. I remember telling my son at the time, that I thought Amazon was a bit of a rip. But I've since eaten those words!

Still, I think our normal view of where to shop need to look around on occasion. While Walmart was once the cheapest in our area, there are other places that are frequently less costly today. Even my local Wegman's has much lower prices on many items. (and, Wegman's takes pride in the fact that it employs people, not auto-tellers.)

Recently my Amazon shopping has increased dramatically, but I always check around and if I can get it locally for even a few dollars more, that is my preference... if the local store has reputation for good service.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

So who's signing up for Amazon Key? It basically allows Amazon to place packages *inside* your house when you're not home. They install a keyless lock on your house or something. Not for me.

Comment

• twistsol
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2002
          • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
          • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by atgcpaul
          So who's signing up for Amazon Key? It basically allows Amazon to place packages *inside* your house when you're not home. They install a keyless lock on your house or something. Not for me.
          I don't see the point where I live. With the exception of anything ordered from Apple which always requires a direct signature, they just leave packages under the deck.

When I worked for Schwan's they piloted a delivery option where they would lock an insulated box full of frozen food to a post or rail at your house and email you the code to unlock it. They'd pick up the box on the next delivery. Seems like a much more logical solution than allowing free access to your house.
          Chr's

Comment

• tmaceroli
            Established Member
            • Mar 2004
            • Forked River, New Jersey, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100

I guess I'm little late to the party, so I'll answer both questions in one...

We are amazon Prime members, and I generally buy something at least once a month. Generally, that's coffee. We have a Keurig machine (single cup brewer), I drink high test and LOML drinks unleaded, so the single cup brewing method works for us, and, we both drink a lot of coffee. Amazon generally has the best prices for the brands we drink, so I buy that fairly regularly. I live in NJ, so you can live in a pretty rural area, but still be within easy striking distance of malls, strip malls, and big box stores, so its somewhat easy for me to shop around. I also like to buy local whenever I can. If it's a huge price difference, then I'll think twice. But I believe in patronizing local businesses.

In my neighborhood, which is fairly out of the way and quiet, I don't see any need to give someone access to my home. I fear that pretty soon we'll hear about a hacking incident where someone gets the access codes and addresses of millions of residences. Ugh!
            Tony

"Nothing would be done at all if a man waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault with it."
            - Cardinal Newman

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Not going to happen at this house! I guess I'm just plain to old fashioned. Heck, I can't bring myself to load photos to "the cloud", much less open the place up for who knows what.

It's not like I live in a terrible neighborhood either. While I've had my car broken into when I lived in the little village of Painted Post, here in Binghamton, on a very busy street, nothing has ever been taken.. Maybe it is because of the higher level of traffic, I just don't know. It's a very diverse neighborhood with a wide range of incomes, race, and even nationality. Yet packages arrive on the front door step and there they stay until we pick them up. When we first bought the place, we didn't move in for about a year, having the floors replaces, kitchen remodeled, etc. My son lived a few blocks away at the time and on Sunday he called me to see if we were there that weekend. The front door was wide open and apparently had been since Friday afternoon. Apparently the contractor had left in a hurry and left it open when they left. So with the door open and no vehicles in the driveway, it apparently wasn't an invitation to anyone. Both the contractor's and my tools were in the house as well as several other items... nothing whatsoever was taken.

However, I try not to take chances and really don't want to set up an invitation to anyone.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                Veteran Member
                • May 2007
                • Tacoma, WA
                • BT3000

Dog food, cat litter and printer ink are the staples I order from Amazon. Arrives on my doorstep with no effort from me, it's less expensive and available. I got tired of the pet store not having the brand or size in stock. If I research something at a local store and the item is available and not overly overpriced I'll buy it there, especially if it's a local and not a chain store. With Christmas coming the ability to have Amazon ship it direct is a real last minuet life saver. I have to agree that clothing is not something I'll buy on Amazon.

As for Amazon key, I like the concept. A neighbor said he plans on installing it on the door to his enclosed porch, that seems to be an acceptable way to use it. Having no enclosed porch and pets I will have to continue taking chances.

Bill on the left coast
                Last edited by Mr__Bill; 11-12-2017, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

They do make large parcel delivery boxes and they vary in size and style. Something else to consider.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• JimD
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 2003
                    • Lexington, SC.

I order a lot from Amazon, mostly based upon convenience but also price. I have Prime but don't watch many movies and haven't used their music service either. Mostly it's to get 2 day delivery. Another way I use it is the wish list. My kids can see exactly what tool I want very easily this way. It's also simple to send them a link to it. Amazon has done a GREAT job making their website easy to use. I order off Home Depots website some and have used Walmart. But Amazon is so much better. If Walmart wants to challenge Amazon, they have got to work on their website. They also have a shipping advantage with local stores everywhere but delivery to store is a mess there and at Home Depot and Lowes. They do not seem to understand I do not want to waste an hour in their store picking stuff up. If they could get me out in 5 minutes, I wouldn't mind swinging by to get things.

Comment

• jabe
                      • Apr 2006
                      • Hilo, Hawaii
                      • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

I shop weekly on Amazon Prime Smile, they donate a percentage of your purchase to a charity of your choice. Prime free delivery is usually 5 to 7 days for us in Hawaii but it's still cheaper with Amazon than buying locally. Amazon's return policy is great too, just gotta make sure it says free return on your purchases.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Need to update this to "All the time". Amazon Prime ships to us overseas for free. Packages usually get in in about a week--sometimes looking pretty beat up--but never broken. We had a 30lb bag of dog food (which is crazy expensive here) shipped to us for free at about the same cost we'd pay in the US. I was never a Walmart shopper before but we also supplement our groceries with dry goods and sauces from Walmart, too. The email I get from the mailroom alerting me of awaiting packages is one of the highlights of my day. The package rack is a wall of Amazon boxes. Amazon shipments actually get to us quicker than the first class mail forwarded to us from our old address--and they both go through USPS.

I've also signed up for their Prime card because now I can get cash back on those Amazon purchases and it also has no annual fee or international fees.

Comment

• Carlos
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

I use it several times a day. We average over one box/day arriving here. For me convenience is the top reason, the security of their customer service second, and price third. They aren't even always the cheapest. But do I drive to this one store to save $3, or realize that the gas and time is worth 10x that? The convenience extends to thing like the Dash Buttons around the house and the Dash Wand that we use to instantly scan anything that needs to be ordered or price checked.

Comment

Working...