• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Has everyone gotten their eclipse glasses yet? I,was,surprised when I was playing with a pair of the cheap paper frame glasses, you absolutely can't see anything through them, maybe looking at the sun you can thouthe. I have about every kind of welding glasses made and was going to grab out a set with 11 or 12 lense, but am having second thoughts now.

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

I would imagine that those glasses are selling off pretty fast, and of course you want to make sure you get the right pair which is ISO certified. Our son said that on the News last night that many public libraries are handing them out, especially if they're near the path. His local library has them, but I doubt that up here in NY, my library will, but it's worth checking.

Last night I went looking at what I might need to take photos with the new camera and for a special solar filter, the only two places that I found that had them reported only one left in stock. At about $50, I'm not sure it's worth it, considering it really has little purpose for anything else. That combined with the fact that my longest lens is slightly less than 300 mm, the final image would be pretty small. I'm still thinking about it though, probably for no other reason than to know I did it.

CWS
      Last edited by cwsmith; 08-12-2017, 10:34 AM.
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I can't imagine that I'll be looking directly at the sun that much anyway. The whole event is around 2 hours. If my eyes arent already toast from the countless hours I've spent staring at my welds I don't imagine that another few minutes glancing at the sun through my 12 lenses will make much difference. My research says that "approved " arch welding lenses are 13. I also caught it somewhere that there is a bunch of counterfeit eclipse glasses being sold that might not be safe to use!

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

The Jet Propulsion Laboratory has this pretty cool web app that shows you what the eclipse will look like for your geographic area. It's worth checking out.

Welcome to NASA's Eyes, a way for you to learn about your home planet, our solar system, the universe beyond and the spacecraft exploring them.

Comment

• gerti
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2003
            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Amazon emailed me today to tell me that the eclipse glasses they sent me are fake and they'd give me my money back. I'd rather have reliable glasses!

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

I'm not here to preach at anyone, but some comments made earlier in this thread scare me a little.

Please be careful if you plan to watch the eclipse.

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by tfischer
                I'm not here to preach at anyone, but some comments made earlier in this thread scare me a little.

Please be careful if you plan to watch the eclipse.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/tr...hers/591257397
                Watching my dad welding for two or three minutes when I was a kid taught me a lesson. Thank goodness I didn't have more than a day's headaches and temporary blind spots.

I ordered 3 sets of glasses from Amazon four weeks ago - the kind that fit over prescription glasses. I tested them a couple of weeks ago and they are so absolutely dark that if my head is not pointed AT the sun I couldn't find it. The sun was barely discernible, and those glasses were tooo dark, IMO. I have done enough welding in my lifetime to know when welding helmet lenses are not dark enough or too dark. If welding helmet lenses filtered light equivalent to those glasses for the sun, no one would be able to weld. One must be able to discern or see "something". The glasses that I got from Amazon were so dark, that they are dangerous - they would make an impatient person want to ditch them!

I really am thinking of taking my welding helmet. I know that there are different levels of lenses for different level of light. I am aware of that and have excellent color & camaflouge discernment to this day, even at 70. Can't see "tiny" like I used to (without glasses) but I can discern colors and objects that light damaged corneas can't.
                Last edited by leehljp; 08-14-2017, 07:19 PM.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • BT3100

The scariest thing to me is that your retina doesn't have pain sensors. So you can be burning it up, and won't know until later when you start experiencing vision issues.

Comment

• tfischer
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • BT3100

The idea behind the eclipse glasses is that you ONLY see the sun when you look though them. You put them on to look at the sun, and take them off when you stop looking at it. They aren't meant to be like sunglasses where you wear them the whole morning.

Supposedly if you can see anything else through your glasses/helmet/whatever, the sun will be too bright and will damage your eyes.

Comment

• cwsmith
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2005
                      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

For anyone interested here is a link to a good article on the BHP photo website: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora...-solar-eclipse

It points out some of the dangers as well as the proper equipment to use for photographing the event. Some of the equipment is well beyond what an amateur photographer might want to invest in; but at the least, you should have a special solar filter on your camera lens.

At this point, I doubt that I have time to order a solar lens filter for my Canon DSLR and without it I would be concerned about burning out the sensors. My camera is far less valuable than my eyes, so everyone should be very mindful of this.

CWS
                      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by tfischer
                        The idea behind the eclipse glasses is that you ONLY see the sun when you look though them. You put them on to look at the sun, and take them off when you stop looking at it. They aren't meant to be like sunglasses where you wear them the whole morning.

Supposedly if you can see anything else through your glasses/helmet/whatever, the sun will be too bright and will damage your eyes.
                        "Supposedly" is a very generic term, otherwise welders would be blind all over the country and world. This is where "Scare" tactics are just as wrong as "it won't hurt for a few minutes". Welders MUST be able to see more than the flame to know where to weld and they don't have eye problems when following the proper procedures. Scare tactics that you only see the outline of the flame is erroneous. Proper glasses will allow you to view sun spots too. Mine will not.

I don't have welding glasses/lens that dark. but I do have extra lens that combined with what is already installed will be close. Imagine that you had something so dark that you could barely distinguish the sun in a non cloudy day at noon.

When I got home about 3 pm today, LOML started in on me about making ABSOLUTELY sure I had scientifically approved lens/glasses.
                        Me: I threw the tags away.
                        LOML: "YOU WHAT?!!!"
                        LOML: I am not using anything I can't prove is absolutely safe.
                        ME. OK, put them on.
                        LOML does it and says: "Take the film off so I can see"
                        ME: YOU are not supposed to be able to see through them in the house.

I convinced her to go outside and look at the sun.
                        While looking at the sun - LOML: "You can barely distinguish the faint outline of the sun. These are almost useless to look at the sun." Are you sure there is not a film that is supposed to be removed?"

ME: "Like I told you, they are what is recommended. That is why I am taking my welding helmet!"
                        Last edited by leehljp; 08-15-2017, 10:19 PM.
                        Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

There will probably be a lot of disappointed people that watch the eclipse through their ISO glasses and find that it looks like being in a totally dark closet!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by gerti
                            Amazon emailed me today to tell me that the eclipse glasses they sent me are fake and they'd give me my money back. I'd rather have reliable glasses!
                            I just checked and the ones my daughter bought for her family and camera are on the list. She bough Celestron/EclipsSmart from B&H camera.

the American astronomical society put out their list of approved filter vendors:

Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
                              Just me
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Tunica, MS
                              • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                              There will probably be a lot of disappointed people that watch the eclipse through their ISO glasses and find that it looks like being in a totally dark closet!
                              Capncarl, I totally agree with you, and this "ISO" is what does not make sense to me. It is like certain regulatory agencies gone over wild. These ISO glasses are so dense that they are far more likely to cause people to ditch them and take their chances. I get it that some people trust implicitly "regulations" and LOML is one of them, but she said that these glasses are so dark that they are not usable. Yet people will still claim "but they are within regulation guidelines". That doesn't make them useable!

I am the type/personality that if something is within a regulations which happens to make it unusable (within those regulations), then I view the regulators as plain stupid and are their for their own personal gain. My ISO glasses are TOO DARK and my government regulations loving wife agrees.

Early in my career just out of college, I took a job certifying people for food stamps. With a new update manual on the quantity of food stamps per household number, I found an obvious error. I told my supervisor of the manual's error. She said to me, well "my" (her) supervisor just left for vacation, so until she returns we will do what the manual says. ME: that is a waste of tax payers money!. I coach little league baseball with the state administrator over the food stamps, so I will ask him tonight. My supervisor got FURIOUS! NO YOU WON"T. Me, "We work for the people of the state". My supervisor was furious but she found the answer, knowing what I would do (and that the state administrator of that department and I were good friends). She probably would have fired me except for two consecutive audits, I was the only one in our district that had NO mistakes in my work of certifying people. I left soon for better work, more money and less regulation waste.
                              Last edited by leehljp; 08-16-2017, 02:14 PM.
                              Hank Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                                Veteran Member
                                • Jan 2007
                                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                                • SawStop CTS

I'm definitely not smitten with ISO. When my company decided to get on the ISO band wagon I was assigned to be my departments ISO leader. ( in hinesite I think i was given this asignement because they new that I wouldn't drink their green koolaid and fall head over heel with all the crap) ISO is a wonderful program for standardization for industry, but shouldn't be used as a governing body. As we all to well know that people are just looking for some cause or leadership do follow, and way too many blindly believe everything they are told. The old saying, "ISO people believe that you could pick up a turd by the clean end if it had the ISO stamp on it" is true!

ISO certified or not, my understanding of welding shades is that all arc welding lenses no matter the shade provide 100% protection from UV and IR Wavelengths, and the shade number indicates the amount of visible light through. I usually keep the highest number welding shade ( darkest ) in my hood that I can work with. The #12 shade that I will use to look at the eclipse with is high dollar lens that I bought many years ago when I replaced my small MIG welder with a much larger amperage MIG. It was too dark for most of the work I was doing so I continued using the #10 shade. I found that even though I had a machine capable of high amperage I still used the low amperage for most of my jobs.

Using this bit of information about UV and IR blocking I have serious reservations about using a cheap pair of paper eyeglasses to look at the sun, ISO certified of not!

This is is the welding glasses I will be using, not a full hood

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4273.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	831219

Comment

Working...