• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Shop safety sleep and owner's manuals

In this video I give a brief talk about the importance of proper rest in keeping all of your digits attached. Well worth a good watch if you have any interest in silly things like that.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

So true and a good reminder to everyone. Some times the kids might have gone to bed early and LOML is busy doing her thing, I might be in the shop past 11pm which is approaching my bedtime. It's about that time my shop high starts to wear off. I've read so many posts where guys say, "I wanted to do just one more whatever, and then bam.". I don't ever want to write one of those stories.

Additionally, when I took my first wood shop class as an adult--night class with ages from 25 (me) to past 60-our instructor said to all us, "If I smell a whiff of alcohol on you, you might have just had a small glass of wine with dinner before coming to class, you're not working in the shop tonight.". That's stuck with me. So if I have any plans to go into the shop, I'll either not imbibe beforehand, wait at least an hour after having an adult beverage, just clean or do some light sanding, or not go in the shop at all.

Stay safe.

Paul

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Very good points, so thank you for your video.

As I've cited on a few occasions, I witnessed my Dad's accident with a table saw when I was just 14 (summer of 1958). He had worked his regular job from 7:00 that morning, came home and we rushed off to do this side job and the accident happened about 9:30 that evening. Long tiring day and things that must get done, he was tired and rushing and it all turned to disaster.... a long term disaster, both physically and financially.

I learned from that... and today I don't approach any kind of work unless I have my wits about me and can both physically and mentally face the challenge without reservation. Even in non-dangerous work such things are important; in my occupation, screwing up an instruction, illustration, or a program line can be hazardous financially to the company, to me, and most important to some future reader. One just needs to be sharp at all times. My by-line is "Think it through before you do!" It's important to have your wits together.

Long ago I learned a 'saying': "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots... but there are NO old, bold pilots!" That applies to not just flying though... I was reminded again when I started driving and yet again when I had a motorcycle. And, it definitely applies to working with power tools, nailers, and anything dealing with electricity, sharp blades, and motorized equipment.

CWS
      Last edited by cwsmith; 07-20-2017, 10:42 AM.
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...