• Show
Clear All
  • bmyers
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2003
    • Fishkill, NY
    • bt 3100

Barn find (literally)

A friend was contracted to take down an old barn. It was beyond repair but he will salvage this bounty for his own house and for sale. You gotta figure this was the late 1800s or turn of the century perhaps.

Pre-electricity post and beam from and old barn. Hand-hewn with an adz, crankshaft chest drill, haunched tenon and pegged. The mortise is about 4 inches or so.

Thought you might like it.

​​​​​​​Bill
    "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

What kind of wood is the barn?

Comment

• bmyers
      Veteran Member
      • Jun 2003
      • Fishkill, NY
      • bt 3100

The barn was a mix pretty much of all species in NY. Oak, Maple, Hemlock, Pine. Huge 20"x20" Oak main verticals. Here are the last little bits-n-pieces but it a sampling of what was there.
      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

When I first started selling my Tiny Tables they were all made from old pine barn wood. They sold well, everyone really liked the old heart pine, but it was really hard to work with. It gummed up my table and band saw blades, ruined the planer and jointer blades and clogged the drum sander paper something terrible. After I used up all the reasonable sized wood I had, then I had to contend with the larger posts and beams I still had left(still antique heart pine) that were much heavier than I could single handedly manage. They were also larger than my equipment would cut.... and there was no end to the nails and spikes I had to find with the metal detector and then try to dig out! Since that batch of barn wood has been used up I've purchased a fair amount of pine barn wood, but have limited the size to manageable thicknesses. The last barn pine boards I used were 1 1-2" thick x 24" wide x 20' long. It was too heavy for me to pick up and move into the shop to cut down so I pulled an extension cord to the trailer and cut it into several pieces. One cut I hit the trailer frame with the blade and destroyed it, then I hit several nails with the new blade and ruined it! That made up my mind not to use barn wood and large beams for Tiny Tables! I have since made the same decision about using sinker cypress, it's a nasty wood that ruins sand paper in 15 seconds!
        capncarl

Comment

Working...