• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jabe
    • Apr 2006
    • Hilo, Hawaii
    • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Windows 10

Last yr. I updated my HP laptop to Win 10 for free, it worked fine then. Last week there was an update so I downloaded it. It had to restart to finalize the update, my laptop could not restart, kept running for 24 hrs with no luck. Went on Youtube for some information, seems like this is common problem. Tried the 3 solutions to restart my computer with no luck. Had to remove Win 10 and reload my Win 7 for a clean install, lost some files & programs lucky I had important items stored on the cloud. I called MS told them the problem, they said there was a patch to fix the issue, I told them how could I get the patch when the computer couldn't restart. I told them what I did and would like to get Win 10 again, they said no can do it was a one time deal. Now I'm being punished for downloading their update which caused this problem and they won't fix this so you can get back on Win 10. Way to go MS. I had no issues with the updates on my 8 yr old Dell desktop computer and Dell Pro 8 tablet go figure???? Any of you experienced this problem? I always like Win 7, so I'll just have to be content with it till 2020 when they MS stop servicing it.
  • JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

There is a way to still get the free WIN10 upgrade, officially from Microsoft. It's still free for a certain segment of users. I won't link to it or tell you what it is, but some simple Google searches will find it.
    Joe

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

How old is your HP laptop? If it's fairly new - with a "UEFI" style BIOS - the Win10 registration/activation information should have been saved in the BIOS memory. So any re-install of Win10 should find that and automatically contact MS servers to self-activate and be legal. A fresh Win10 install should work too without needing the Win7 --> Win10 "upgrade" path.

mpc

Comment

• jabe
        • Apr 2006
        • Hilo, Hawaii

My laptop is old bought in 2011

Comment

• jabe
          • Apr 2006
          • Hilo, Hawaii

MS web site allows reinstall of Win 10 like mpc states they'll have the product key. Thanks will start the reinstall now.

Comment

• jabe
            • Apr 2006
            • Hilo, Hawaii

Thanks JoeyGee & mpc everything worked out. The MS site/acct had my Product Key so the reinstall went smoothly. Should have done this first instead of calling tech support which is in India.

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I updated my old Toshiba laptop a year or so ago. It works but still starts funny. I cannot simply turn it on. I have to do a "restart" first and then I can log in an use it. I cannot get to the login screen without the restart. Subsequent updates have made the process work faster but it still does it. I may have switch set wrong.

I mail things at a postal express outlet near me. I don't know how widespread these stores are, they send things via Fed Express, UPS or USPS and will box it up for you for a small fee. Anyway, the guy who runs the local ones used to fix computers too but quit. When I asked why he said it was Windows 10. He said it has too many settings and took too much time to mess with. I found his comments interesting.

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Originally posted by JimD
                He said it has too many settings and took too much time to mess with. I found his comments interesting.
                The translation from excuse-making to reality is that he simply stopped wanting to learn. Win 10 is no more complicated than the others, and it's a heck of a lot better in nearly every objective measure. I still would recommend against Windows at all, but if you're stuck using it, it's the best one available.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2005
                  • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Originally posted by Carlos

The translation from excuse-making to reality is that he simply stopped wanting to learn. Win 10 is no more complicated than the others, and it's a heck of a lot better in nearly every objective measure. I still would recommend against Windows at all, but if you're stuck using it, it's the best one available.
                  Exactly. Windows is far from perfect, but XP SP3, 7 and now 10 are not nearly as buggy as previous versions and are actually pretty stable. Let's just pretend Vista never happened. Again, far from perfect and security should be much better, but MS could change their slogan to "We're not as bad as we used to be".
                  Joe

Comment

Working...