• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

Might be moving to Colorado

I've lived in Central California for the majority of my life and it's time for a change. More than likely it will be the Denver area. Any comments on Denver?

Last time I moved any distance I was single and everything I owned fit in my pickup. Now I'm moving a family. Any tips on moving cross country?
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Declutter.

We moved cross-country from CA to MD 11+ years ago. Now we are moving overseas in January 2018. Since then we've managed to fill up a 4 BR house with stuff, 2 kids, and 2 dogs. I've recycled nearly all of my WWing mags. I've sold tools I'm probably not going to need. And I've recycled thousands of dollars worth of electronics that I have no idea why I was still keeping. They are worthless now unless I was going to start a museum.

Fortunately for us, my wife's company will be doing all the packing and they will store everything we aren't going to take overseas--which is most of it. But since we might not see our stuff for many years, the last thing I want when we pull everything out of storage is to wonder "Why did I keep this?" which is hard for me because I'm a packrat. I've started making piles of "maybes" and when I have the energy, I go through them again and toss out more stuff.

Good luck.

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Paul gives sage advice. I've made a couple cross state moves. Hindsight I wish I would have got rid of more. I have boxes of wood working and other magazines that I've not touched since.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Heck I am staying in California and have the same problem. Need to downsize the hobby and clean out our storage facility. Need to build a storage shed her for Christmas stuff and my Diecast Model boxes.

Comment

• aiyou
          SawdustZone Patron
          • Mar 2006
          • Charlotte, NC
          • BT3100

I moved cross country about a year and half ago, CA to NC.

We leveraged a moving company, but whether moving yourself, or using a moving company, I would suggest pre-boxing as much as possible into standard size moving boxes (1 cu ft, 1 1/2, 2, 3, 5). It will help with estimating space on the truck and job pricing, as well as efficient packing on the truck. And, as mentioned by others, get rid of as much stuff as you can bear to part with.

As for Denver, grew up outside of Aurora/Parker, in what is now the Fox Field / Saddle Rock area according to Google. Its grown tremendously since I was last back there, so my childhood recollections likely wouldn't be accurate.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

The phone interview went well. The job is right in line with what I'm looking for. The next step is flying out for a face to face interview.

I think my wife is on board with getting rid of most of our furniture and books.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

I have moved a lot. I second standardized boxes.
              In addition to writing on the box what is in it generate a list in the event one is lost. Mark boxes as to where they go at the other end and while packing decide when to unpack that box. I mark some open me first. Cleaning supplies, bath towels, shower curtain, work clothing for everyone, basic first aid, basic tools etc. You don't need to unpack everything the first day or week so I number the boxes to prioritize. Example, m-bed 2 might be winter bedding or fall clothing.
              Any box #2 or higher gets stacked in the garage. That way you actually have room to move as you unpack.

Do not plan on a yard sale at the other end. Sell or donate, moving is expensive and not just in money.

ID the boxes on the top and all 4 sides.
              Buy packing/wrapping paper. That way you won't have to wash newspaper ink off of all the dishes.

If renting a truck, load heavy things bottom and front and balance side to side. Get the moving pads to protect the good stuff and use your harbor freight tarps to cover the dirty stuff.

Decide early on if it's all going to fit in one truck.

And..... this is the perfect opportunity to dissappear things that someone just can't give up but you hate.

Oh, load first beer and pizza after.

Bill
              On the left coast

Comment

Working...