• Show
Clear All
  • Relative
    Established Member
    • Mar 2007
    • Garden Grove, CA
    • Ridgid R4512

What does 'bare tool' mean to you?

To answer my own question, I consider a 'bare tool' to be without the battery, charger and probably any sort of case. That seems to be the case when you look at the description of the DeWalt DC330B on their web site:
    "Power and Performance

"With a speed range of 0-3,000 strokes per minute (SPM), the DC330B will cut straight and curves through virtually any building material, including solid wood, plywood, laminate countertops, plastic, metal, even nail-embedded wood. The all-metal keyless shoe bevel features detents at 0, 15, 30, and 45 degrees, providing versatility for easy bevel cutting. And it's packed full of professional features, including a full 1-inch blade stroke length, keyless lever-action blade clamp for easy blade changes, and a four-position, orbital-action switch that lets you match the cut quality and speed to the material. Comfort and Convenience

"The DC330B has a top-handle design for enhanced comfort and control, and it's complemented by an anti-slip comfort grip. An adjustable blower keeps the cut line clear of chips. This jigsaw weighs 5.1 pounds. Bare Tool

"This DEWALT cordless tool does not come with a battery or charger. It's compatible with the DC9096 18-volt XRP battery pack and DW9117 15-minute charger. Warranty

"This DEWALT tool is backed by three-year limited warranty covering any defects due to materials or workmanship (from the date of purchase). It's also covered by DEWALT's one-year free service contract, where DEWALT will maintain the tool and replace worn parts caused by normal use--for free. What's in the Box

"One DEWALT DC330B 18-volt cordless jigsaw and operating instructions (batteries and charger sold separately)."

The above was quoted directly from their web site. Note the 'batteries and charger sold separately' statement. However, they have what they consider 'accessories' that are not mentioned. The simplest one being the 'anti-splinter' piece of plastic that snaps into the base and wraps around the blade. I thought this was something missing in the box. I was corrected with their response.

What do you think?

Mike
    Last edited by Relative; 04-12-2017, 12:39 PM.
    Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I have come to view "Bare tool" in two basic ways, much as you described.
    1. Tool ONLY
    2. Tool with some options but without battery and charger.

It gets a little picky looking at different photos and reading carefully what is included.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Pretty much what they wrote--the tool with no battery.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

In consideration that they are using "bare tool" in reference to the tool's weight, I would presume that they mean the tool is without a blade and without the battery.

While I understand that, as a buyer I might be concerned with it's total weight and that would include the battery, as it's worthless without it. So, if in fact a tool weighs just five pounds, that might sound attractive... until I found the battery was another three pounds... which would make for total tool possibly heavier than the competition. The weight of the blade wouldn't matter, as it's negligible by comparison and universal between brands.

CWS

Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
          In consideration that they are using "bare tool" in reference to the tool's weight, I would presume that they mean the tool is without a blade and without the battery.

While I understand that, as a buyer I might be concerned with it's total weight and that would include the battery, as it's worthless without it. So, if in fact a tool weighs just five pounds, that might sound attractive... until I found the battery was another three pounds... which would make for total tool possibly heavier than the competition. The weight of the blade wouldn't matter, as it's negligible by comparison and universal between brands.
          CWS
          About 2 months ago, I received an invitation to do a survey for HD. Much of it dealt with the idea of "Bare Tool", and would you buy one? The point / question behind it was - IF you have several tools with the same battery usage and you already have multiple batteries and already own a charger, would you be interested in buying the bare tool itself at a discount price - rather than having to buy a tool with a battery (that you already have) and charger that you also already have . . . and don't need?

This was asked in several different ways and I got kinda aggravated at having to answer the same question in different (to me) grammatical formats. But I did reply "Yes" I would most definitely buy a "bare tool" only, and have already done that from Amazon.
          Hank Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Well Hank, that explanation make the original post from Relative more clear, and I read the DeWalt statement, "The DC330B has a top-handle design for enhanced comfort and control, and it's complemented by an anti-slip comfort grip. An adjustable blower keeps the cut line clear of chips. This jigsaw weighs 5.1 pounds. Bare Tool" differently, with my focus on the last few words.

Actually, hasn't the sale of cordless tools without batteries been going on for a few years now?

As you stated, from your survey experience, I would certainly agree that selling the bare tool, without battery, is certainly an advantage to the buyer who may already have similar batteries and chargers. However, it could be very much a disadvantage if all tools were sold as bare and that the battery would be sold as an optional purchase. The disadvantage would be only if the combined price would add up to be higher and the warranty were different for the battery (like Ridgid not extending the LSA terms to batteries purchased separately).

CWS

Comment

• Relative
              Established Member
              • Mar 2007
              • Garden Grove, CA
              • Ridgid R4512

Maybe a little more clarification to my original post is in order. To me, bare tool means simply without the battery and charger and possibly a case. EVERYTHING ELSE is included - including something as simple and cheap as the splinter guard - which DeWalt doesn't include with the saw. It's available for optional purchase.

Mike
              Veterans are people who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America, for an amount up to and including their life.

Comment

• TB Roye
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                • BT3100

To me a Bare Tool is just the tool nothing else. Then you pay and arm and leg for batteries and charger.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

A lot of times when I purchase a tool I don't want the blow mold case or the cheap chinch little edge guide tool that comes with it! I usually put my power tools in one of my work bench drawers, The plastic box goes in the attic for the next home owners to discard and the rest of the stuff in the box goes in the junk drawer along with the other junk from previous purchases. When I can save a few bucks by buying a bare tool, unless it has acessories I need, I'll definately buy bare tool over a box and junk.

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Mike (Relative),

I'm not sure what you mean by a "splinter guard".... is that the metal guard that covers the front area around the blade? If so, even with a so-called "bare" tool, the safety shields, mechanisms should be included.

CWS

Comment

• leehljp
                      Just me
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Tunica, MS
                      • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by cwsmith
                      Mike (Relative),

I'm not sure what you mean by a "splinter guard".... is that the metal guard that covers the front area around the blade? If so, even with a so-called "bare" tool, the safety shields, mechanisms should be included.

CWS
                      I think the "splinter guard" is a plastic plate that fits onto the bottom plate and only has a hole for the blade, much like a zero clearance plate on a TS. Not the standard plate but an extra cost option that clips/screws onto the original plate.
                      Hank Lee

Comment

• garymuto
                        Established Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Encinitas, CA
                        • Delta Cabinet Saw

To me Bare tool means just that: The tool and instructions. No battery, charger, case or accessories.

Comment

• Carlos
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Some of my "bare tools" have been literally only the tool in a box, others were tool plus case, and others were tool plus things like a few blades. My DeWalt multi-tool was "bare" but came with a box of blades and a case. At least in all the new DeWalt tools, "bare" is used more logically meaning that if the tool NEEDS things like blades, you get them, but not batteries and chargers.

Comment

Working...