• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Has anyone caught the news Burger King commercial? Where the young man briefly says something.......my ears never obsorb messages on commercials. And the last statement is OK GOOGLE, WHAT IS A WHOPPER SANWICH? That caught my ears, and I told my wife that I bet they are trying to trigger google counter clutter machines into doing a search for Whoppers. Today my wife confirmed that she read about it in the paper. So now an advertiser can buy a 15 second ad and trigger your counter clutter into reciting the commercial for them! What's next, will they be able to tell your counter clutter machne to order samples for you? Or turn down the AC during an Artic show?
    capncarl

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Gee Carl, you really ought to keep up with the culture . Yep, now there are even commercials within commercials (or at least that's how I see them).

Have you seen the Amazon "Dash" buttons you can buy? They are simple little electronic buttons work with your LAN router. Labelled with the product name, you simply stick them wherever you want (be nice), and when you are low on product, you press the button and it orders it for and a few days later the product arrives at your doorstep via Amazon.

For example, you can buy the "Tide" dash, stick it on your washing machine if you'd like and when your wife notices that container is getting close to empty, she just presses the "Dash" button... and couple days later the new Tide box will show up at the front door. These Dash buttons cost about $5 a piece and are available for all kinds of products.

https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Buttons/...de=10667898011

I first got an E-mail on these sometime around a year ago... thought it was a joke, but it wasn't! Hey, just imagine you can have these all over the house... a button for beer, soap, toilet paper,... just about anything the heart desires. I'm waiting for them to be available for the shop! Wouldn't that be great... just press the Dash button for sandpaper, blades, oil, lumber, etc.

OOOPS! I thought I was pressing the Dash button, and turned on my saw instead

No thanks!

CWS
      Last edited by cwsmith; 04-14-2017, 10:14 AM. Reason: typo
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by capncarl
        Has anyone caught the news Burger King commercial? Where the young man briefly says something.......my ears never obsorb messages on commercials. And the last statement is OK GOOGLE, WHAT IS A WHOPPER SANWICH? That caught my ears, and I told my wife that I bet they are trying to trigger google counter clutter machines into doing a search for Whoppers. Today my wife confirmed that she read about it in the paper. So now an advertiser can buy a 15 second ad and trigger your counter clutter into reciting the commercial for them! What's next, will they be able to tell your counter clutter machne to order samples for you? Or turn down the AC during an Artic show?
        capncarl
        This junk and the liability it brings.
        http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37954308 Then starting about the 6 minute mark in the video.

While I don't have one of these devices, and I don't have one click ordering turned on, I have had identity issues due to a CC processor that dealt with multiple companies I buy from, being hacked or middlemanned. That is why I asked (and there is no way to do it) Amazon if I could turn off the credit/debit card saving aspect of my account. I would feel much safer knowing it isn't in someones system, after my experiences (almost all other places I deal with, allows you to choose to save it or not).
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...