• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Metric tools

Don't you hate it when you have to buy two of every tool, one for metric mm and the other in inches?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	metric inch wrench.png
Views:	155
Size:	653.4 KB
ID:	829970
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

One reason I really hate how Sears sold some wrench sets. They sold an SAE and Metric wrench sets (twist wrenches), that allowed decent gripping, at a good leverage length, but neither were a complete set, because of "overlap" sizes (13mm and 1/2"). I bought two sets, expecting to be able to buy the other sizes and leave one on an old tractor, and one with an old VW bug.
    Nope.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Ah, the crescent wrench: stripping bold heads since 1842.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by tfischer
        Ah, the crescent wrench: stripping bold heads since 1842.
        No, those are Craftsman, not Crescent wrenches. They are an adjustable wrench though.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • BT3100

Originally posted by LinuxRandal

No, those are Craftsman, not Crescent wrenches. They are an adjustable wrench though.
          crescent, channel lock, xerox... all genericized brands.

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • BT3100

And speaking of generic brands... I'm a trumpet player and a number of years ago put a "Harmon mute" on my Christmas list. Any brass player knows what that is... technically Harmon is a brand, but a "Harmon mute" is a specific type of mute, generically called a "wah-wah" but nobody actually calls it that.

My wife's sister bought me a Harmon-branded straight mute... a completely different type of mute lol. The tool equivalent would be asking for a Crescent wrench, and receiving a pair of slip-joint pliers made by the Crescent company.

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

Can't even count the number of bolt heads I have stripped because I grabbed the wrong crescent wrench!
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• cwsmith
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Makes a guy wonder why in the world would anyone design and manufacture a tool, especially an adjustable wrench in both metric and inch markings. I can see that they might put both on the same wrench, but not make two separate tools... What were they thinking? Surely someone along the path of design must have pointed this out.

As a matter of fact, I just took a look at the handful of adjustable wrenches that I have. both my Stanley (87-368) and my Craftsman (44603) are marked in both, 8 in. on one side and 200 mm on the other.

Regarding the name, of the adjustable wrench, everybody I used to work with back when I did such things with my Dad, call them "Crescent" wrenches. Pipe wrenches are also adjustable, but when someone referred to a "Crescent" you knew exactly what they wanted. BTW, I have Craftsman, Stanley, Crescent, McKaig-Hatch, a J.H. Williams "Superjustable", and even a Japanese-made "angle wrench"... all are like the Crescent.

As far as rounding off bolt heads... well, what can I say, except my Dad would have booted me in the butt, it's simply the wrong tool and I was taught that when I was ten or so and trying to remove the wheel from my bike. Dad snatched the Crescent from my hand and told me to never do that again... he handed me his auto wrench bundle and told me to "always use the right tool for the job". Adjustable wrenches are good for a few things but certainly not for hex heads.

CWS
                Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  LCHIEN commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Seriously, if you look closely one is a Craftsman and the other is a Pittsburgh.
                  Both are marked with the HANDLE LENGTH of 10" or 250 mm on opposite sides.
                  I just picked the wrenches so that when placed the same way (right hand hold) you could see both the inch markings and the mm markings to make a funny picture.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 12-19-2021, 02:24 PM.
              • jabe
                • Apr 2006
                • Hilo, Hawaii
                • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Years ago 1991 I bought a set of METRINCH wrenches. They married SAE & Metric into one set. No more going back & forth trying to get the right socket (SAE or Metric) to remove a bolt or nut, they just fit and they grip the sides of the hex not the points of the hex. They are good for taking off rounded nuts or bolts. They were sold on TV, forgot what I paid for it. They were made in Germany and the quality was excellent, I ended up buying a set for my son. My son worked as a auto mechanic at that time and he swears by those wrenches. He and myself still use them, best set of wrenches I own. I always keep um in my Tacoma truck for any emergency when offroading. I haven't seen them advertised anymore but if you can get a hold of a set it'll be well worth it. Best Bang For The Buck!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Haha, around here there is a politically incorrect name for these things.
                  Assume your local ethnic group is the Romulens. Totally stole that from Star Trek, because the Romulens are fictional and there's no one to offend., any resemblance to any living group is in your imagination.

So an adjustable wrench is called a Romulen socket set..

Insert your favorite derogatory name for some ethnic group and its a lot funnier. But, shame on you.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 05-26-2017, 12:56 PM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...