• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

From Veritas Tools

The latest innovation in marking gauges.

Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

I always enjoy their April 1st presentations!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

They missed an obvious example use: instead of measuring the width of a chisel they should have shown it measuring the thickness of a board... perfect for setting up a hand-cut dovetail joint line! Easier than eyeballing the cutting wheel to the edge of a board...

I too enjoy and look forward to Lee Valley's April Fool's Day tool. One such April Fool's Day tool actually got enough positive feedback that they put it into limited production: the "story tape." Made sense to me... I can't tell you how many times I've just penciled a mark onto my tape measure rather than squinting at the numbers to transfer a measurement!

mpc
      Last edited by mpc; 04-02-2017, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

That's the only problem with L-V's "April Fools".... some of us take a look and go "Really? But that's sort of a good idea!"

The amazing thing is that Lee-Valley appears to put a lot of money into producing these April 1st announcements. Not only in the production of the video, but in the mockups that they have to produce for the basis of the filming.

I don't know how big the staff is, but it seems like a fun place to work. As a buyer, it is really about my favorite place to order stuff from. Their customer service is terrific and they listen when you have a request.

(A few years ago I bought a set on Narex bench chisels and I liked them so much I searched out the European site for Narex and discovered they had a set of skew chisels. I wrote Lee-Valley and asked it they could look into getting them and do so with the dark handles of the bench chisels that I had purchased. They wrote me back quickly and said they'd let me know what they found.... the Narex skew chisels are now part of the regular catalog. You can't beat service like that!)

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Sort of Off Topic as far as brand goes - Did anyone see the April 1 Lexus commercial in one of the basketball semi-finals Saturday night! Absolutely great. A Lexus is following a slower driving car in the left lane; the driver of the slow car is oblivious to the situation. Back to the Lexus driver: He pushed a button that through "infra-red or other" causes the car in front to signal "moving to the right lane" and alerting the driver of the slow car to such need. The driver moves to the right lane and the Lexus passes. Then something to the effect: Brought to you by Lexus on April 1!

I sure would like a car with that capability!
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

I always love their April 1 "products". Evidently I missed the one from last year, the "rotary tool holder". Even better than this year's IMHO

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by cwsmith
              That's the only problem with L-V's "April Fools".... some of us take a look and go "Really? But that's sort of a good idea!"
              I thought this one was actually a good idea (without the Lignum mediocris spacers). Not that my joinery is ever that precise but not having to eyeball the thickness of a board to mark another board seems like a good idea.

Comment

Working...