Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Hail, Hail, Rock and Roll

"One of my big lights has gone out!" — Keith Richards of The Rolling Stones

That says it for many of us old teenagers on the passing of Chuck Berry on Saturday.at the age of 90. James Brown was the Godfather of Soul, Berry was the same to Rock and Roll.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Back in 1993 or 1994, two other couples and I went to a large dance hall for teens in Memphis. Although Chuck Berry had a few famous songs out at that time, his band was playing for the dance. After about 30 minutes of the band, Chuck came out and began singing. When I saw him pick up the mike, I went up next to the stage. My date asked me what I was doing and why I wasn't going to dance. I said, "just wait and listen." Everyone else (probably 120 - 150) was out dancing as I looked back. I stood in awe while he sung. About 1 minute later, a few others quit dancing and joined around the stage; then half way through, everyone quit dancing and then it became a concert! I knew I was in the presence of greatness when he walked out. I wasn't going to waste it dancing, instead taking in every second I could at stage front!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Back about 40 or so years ago, we were in Washington National airport and down the south wing my wife spotted Chuck Berry sitting in a wheel chair, all by himself with absolutely nobody around him and really no one paying any attention to him. I wasn't much of a rock-in-roll fan, but she was and when she saw him she just about flipped. "Hey, that's Chuck Berry!" I thought that if that was really him, he'd have a crowd around him, so we went back to take another look. Sure enough, it was him and he was very gracious. She asked him if he was okay and he told us he was just waiting for his driver to come back with the car. She got his autograph!

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...