• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Thanks for the update Pappy. Many fond memories of teasing Rod about his shop and how it could never be used as there was never a speck of dust to be seen :-) It makes me feel rather shamed as I am about to head out to my shop and I know the floor is covered with woodchips from some turning projects I am in the middle of. ;-(
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Thanks for the update. Rod was an inspiration for many of us for his meticulous approach to woodworking.
      I have this picture of his workbench hanging in my own garage - as something to strive for:

Rod's Shed: Work table

I had promised myself that one day I'd achieve it and let him know. Unfortunately that day never came... :-(

If interested, search in these forums for "Kirby's Shed" in the subject line. He had around a dozen threads to cover his entire shed. Fascinating pictures...

Last edited by radhak; 02-28-2017, 12:08 AM.
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

Truly a craftsman especially in MDF how he kept his shop so clean is beyond me but loved the pictures and articles. He will be missed along with so many of the others from BT3 Central who have passed
        Last edited by TB Roye; 02-28-2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

• bigstick509
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Macomb, MI, USA.
          • BT3100

Very sorry to hear of Rod's passing. He was one of a kind, very helpful and always insightful. One of the great group of original site members.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            He used to have this blue and silver sign in his shop that Said THINK. I had one exactly like it, it was a promotional item from IBM who he used to work for and my dad got his (now mine) from the IBM sales guys in the early 70s' Another thing that tied us together as those were the only two I've ever seen.

I still have a few of his BT3000 jigs he sent me. I shall have to post them here.
            I remember his microadjuster, that I believe you ended up with. As to THINK, I remember that, as my father was an IBM'er before it stood for I've Been Moved. But it is a mixed memory as I remember it as well as the finger jabbing into the forehead "use your brain, that is what it is there for" that would be considered something else today.

I am happy we actually got to know what happened, but sad he passed. There have been many members that go away and we simply do not know what happened to them. (I was thinking of RayintheUK the other day, and found "this will be my last post") I know that his wife probably has no interest in getting online and seeing how we appreciated him, but do wish we could tell her, thank you and our condolences.
            His presence is missed.

She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tfischer
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2003
              • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
              • BT3100

I wish there were a way to have an online reunion of sorts with those who were active in the prime days of this forum. I had my first child in 2004 and came on here to get advice on building some baby furniture. At that same time there were at least 5 or 6 other dads, many first time parents as well, all expecting or had just had the baby. As far as I know none of these folks are around this forum anymore. There were a lot of others from that day too that I'd like to hear how they are doing.

My first project was a changing table/dresser that is still in active use in my boys' room even though it hasn't seen a baby changed on it for 7 or 8 years... it now holds a hamster cage on the changing surface and holds clothes instead of diapers and baby supplies! My next project was a junior bed which is in storage at my mom's place... can't really bear to part with it and hope to hand it down someday. The boys now sleep in bunk beds which are larger versions of the junior bed (I actually scaled the plans down for the junior bed, then rebuilt them full size for the bunks).

It's been a fun trip.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Here's a good link to the post on Rod's shop tour.

Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                  Here's a good link to the post on Rod's shop tour.

http://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/saw...by-s-shop-tour
                  I think this thread happened during one of my breaks from WWing and this site. I'm simply in awe. And it makes me feel more than a little sad to see it now that he's gone.

I need to go back and study those pictures harder when I have a little more time. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Found the pictures from 2004
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Loring, I just saw this. Thanks for finding them. Now I can reprint the faded picture in the frame.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                      Fools because they have to say something.
                      Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Pappy
                        Loring, I just saw this. Thanks for finding them. Now I can reprint the faded picture in the frame.
                        Great. Hope you enjoyed them as much as I did. Great memories.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...