You won't see me write this very often. I need a drink.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

You won't see me write this very often. I need a drink.

Things since right after Christmas have been bad. Real bad.

I already mentioned the coworker dying suddenly.

Due to turnover at work (Won't go into the cause other than to say decision makers need to look in the mirror), I am left the sole person in my organization that has the skill set that I do, or even close. The amount of work not only hasn't tapered off, but has picked up, tremendously. I am literally doing the work we used to have a team of 5 people doing. To top it off, everywhere we look management is adding more, and more reporting overhead. Schedules are tight, suppliers are slow, and Junior grade admins that they have been hiring to replace 10 - 15 year experienced guys are sucking up a ton of time to get anywhere near helpful. So work is stressful. Oh yeah, and a lot of the issues I am running into are stuff like in house written apps with absolutely NO documentation. Just it's broke, figure it out and fix it. Aaaaarrrrrggghhhh!

Another work colleague, and long time friend of mine, we have worked on 4 different jobs together, and done a mess of consulting work on the side together over the years, his Dad just passed away.

My brother in law's cancer is bad, impacting his liver, and it was bad enough they nearly refused to give him chemo. Not sure the scientific reasons why other than something about liver function not being up to it. Well the liver function improved a LOT, enough they not only gave him chemo, but they got him on aggressive chemo.

My father in law's Dementia while not super bad yet, has been taken advantage of by a relative that conned him into signing over his house and everything in it. There has been a LOT of fighting over this junk. I personally think the LEO / Attorney General approach is needed. There is PLENTY of evidence this was done fraudulently but nobody wants to see said relative tossed in the cooler...

And to top it off, our 20 year old cat is sick, and dying of cancer that is untreatable. Now I am not a cat person in the slightest, but this little bugger wormed her way in with me really good and, well this hurts.

I haven't been able to get any shop time, no video shoots, no, nothing. Just work, take care of a sick cat, take care of an elderly parent in law, and go to funerals. I may actually delay starting on my masters program until this settles down a bit more.

So, sorry if I haven't been posting up much lately.

I need some good news, and soon.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Sorry for all the troubles

As for the work ones, remember that if you do heroics, work mega hours, etc to do the work of several people, they have no incentive to improve conditions for you. Work hard but set some clear limits, and be prepared to explain why dates are slipping and things aren't getting done.

Comment

• Pappy
      The Full Monte
      • Dec 2002
      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 (x2)

Hang in there. Sounds like it can only get better from where you are now!
      Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
      Fools because they have to say something.
      Plato

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

Praying for you in all of this!
        Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks guys. I am usually the happy go lucky knuckle head in the crowd...

I just literally got a piece of good news. My best man's / high school best friend's sister and her husband are in town for the next two days. I'd like to visit with them while they are here...

That whole family was like an extension of my family when I was in school... Okay except their dad... Long ugly story. They won't claim him either...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Well, a mixed bag of news today. I am finally able to sit down and write this out. The cancer had gotten to the point where our beloved 20 year old cat would no longer eat, so we made the decision to take her to the vet on Sunday and have her put to sleep.

As those who have seen my posts over the years know, my wife and I haven't been able to have kids, so our pets have been very much family to us. To say this hurts is an understatement...

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Very sorry to hear of your loss. It's tough to loose a companion, any companion. I still have sadness over the loss of my Beagle, and that was over fifty years ago. When I was growing up, pretty much a loner. that beloved dog was a great companion and I've never been able to bring myself to getting another.

You are carrying a lot of troubles right now and I hope that your future turns for the better very soon.

May God give you strength and guidance.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Black wallnut
                cycling to health
                • Jan 2003
                • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                • BT3k 1999

Sorry for your loss Dave. Hope it gets better for you soon.
                Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Turaj
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
                  • BT3000 (1998)

Dave, sorry to hear about your loss (on top of everything else that you have to deal with). As others said, hang in there and hopefully it gets better soon.
                  Turaj (in Toronto)
                  "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading!" Henny Youngman

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the support. It's hard to explain to people that aren't pet people...

I am hard pressed on this one. When our lab passed back in 2010 they gave him back in a simple oak urn. The cat urn we had choices and actually got a beautiful hand carved rosewood. I want to build her an urn but, well I haven't even moved the dog from the one he came back in. I just can't bring myself to do it...

The cat urn is going to be a real challenge. She was always a small cat. Most adolescent cats are bigger than she was. At her heaviest she was 12lbs, with the cancer, she got down to about 5.5lbs. Not a lot of cat to have ashes from.

As emotionally draining as these past few months have been, the past few days have been sheer he**. I can't think straight at work, I can't sleep to save my life, and I am afraid my mouth filter might cause me a career changing incident with everything going on...

I need time to myself, well, with my immediate family, on a beach, with tequila, and a camp fire... I have plenty of scraps!

The best we've been able to manage is quick trips to Bolivar / Crystal Beach for a stroll down the beach. It works, but isn't enough.

Comment

• poolhound
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2006
                      • Phoenix, AZ
                      • BT3100

Sorry 2017 has been a challenge thus far. I hope things improve for you soon.
                      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                      techzibits.com

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Really sorry for your loss, as well as everything else that's going on. I wouldn't sweat the urn issue... at some point you might find it therapeutic to build one, but if it's too painful right now then you need to heal first. It's hard...

We have a shelf with several urns of departed furry friends. Ours are ceramic that we custom ordered to be painted and shaped to look roughly like the pet. God forbid when my current fur buddy dies- he's laying beside me right now- I'd consider building one for him with a picture of him on it.

Try to get some time away to decompress. Work will be there when you return but they don't need you like this.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Well, there is something good about living close to Galveston Bay. We've gone straight from work to the beach last several nights in a row just to stay away from the house and watch the sun set... The dog is with the neighbor having puppy play time so its a good thing... He is happy when we get home though. He is starting to realize something is very off though as the cat isn't pushing him around anymore... (She was kind of bossy when it came to that dog...)

Comment

Working...