I just need to vent. Sudden loss of a colleague...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I just need to vent. Sudden loss of a colleague...

Sorry guys and gals. I just need to vent this a bit. Please bear with me...

One of my colleagues, a guy that has been with my company longer than I have (and I have been here for almost 10 years), and has been a major influence on the way we do business, a guy that was always early, never seemed to take a sick day, and was laser like punctual with all of his work, did not show up for work on Monday, and nobody could reach him. By Tuesday he didn't show up again, and we involved HR as this was just, well, not his behavior.

Long story short, HR was able to contact the police dept for a welfare check...

This morning, we got in with most of our senior management to give us the news, that our coworker, colleague, and friend, that some of us have worked with for over 30 years was found deceased.

He was seemingly healthy, and while not a kid, he wasn't all that old, and seemed quite healthy and active.

The man was brilliant, having a PHD in Computer Science, he was a musician with a penchant for early Gibson SGs, an avid woodworker that sadly disliked online forums, but loved working with hand tools, He was involved in the design and implementation of many of the early in house designed and written applications for our business, and was always a great guy to be around. Never a harsh word about anyone or anything, and always willing to help out.

To say he was one of a kind is cliche, but incredibly true...

This is not the kind of news I wanted to hear today.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Its hard to find a co-worker like that. We are here to listen to you, We know you will miss him and will pray for you.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Black wallnut
      cycling to health
      • Jan 2003
      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
      • BT3k 1999

Sorry for your loss. Losing a co-worker is never easy.
      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

It's an odd feeling, and coming at a bad time...
        My father in law and my dad both are dealing with dementia, my brother in law is in stage IV cancer, and I have several close friends with parents that are terminal at this point...

I'm feeling somewhat wrung out by the sheer volume of it at this point. I am torn between wanting to just wanting to cling to those I love around me, and getting in some shop therapy...
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Sorry for your loss, Dave.

We had 2 close co-workers (actually roommates) who passed away within 6 months of each other. They were both in my working unit. It was a huge hit for us because we were all a great team and good friends. Their loss brought the whole organization closer during a hard time and we were able to appreciate each other more beyond our duties at work.

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Very sorry for the loss of your friend and co-worker. Such people are rare and the impact their loss means to the company and especially to close friends is hard to understand and even harder to bear.

I understand your feelings and can personally relate to such tragedy

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Sorry about you and your company's loss, Dave.
              I experienced a similar thing in late 2015. I'd already accepted early retirement but they asked me to stay on for the remainder of 2015.
              I had a manager who was quite excellent. He was German and a wiry guy of 50-something, Bunt he failed to show up one October Monday and his recent wife who was waiting for a US Visa called HR from Germany frantic that she had not heard from him. Like yours, HR called the police who found him dead in his apartment from a massive heart attack. Unexpected, He had a lot of stress from layoffs and budget cuts and new HR rules about limiting vacation carryover that he moaned about. I was offered his job but having one foot out the door already and not wanting that kind of stress, I declined.

I retired early Jan 2016 and in January they had another fellow in the dept. pass away from medical issues... He was only 30 something and had problems but it was still very unexpected.
              So its very traumatic.

But these things fade and pass and you are only left with memories. Please hang in there. You will still have pangs of grief but the sharp edge will subside.

Loring
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I heard somewhere that more deaths happen at the end of year holiday season. Lots of extra stress. In the 2013/2014 holiday season ( I call it this because it includes Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years) we had 6 men die on the Marine base in the areas I worked. 2 in my building, on the job while we were working! One of these was my cubicle partner that had just move to a different department 50 feet away. Very disturbing,
                I feel your loss Dave.
                capncarl

Comment

Working...