So how did everyone fair with the visit from the Jolly Old elf?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

So how did everyone fair with the visit from the Jolly Old elf?

I really didn't get a whole lot woodworking related this year but that's fine I shop is nicely set up actually maybe not high end but I have everything I need.

I did get equipment for the videography Pursuits. I got paid nice 3-axis gimbal for the smartphone which is absolutely amazing especially considering that my Galaxy S7 Edge takes better video then my 15 year old prosumer production 16 mil camera. I also managed 2 Christmas gift myself a fantastic deal on a blade chroma drone with a GoPro gimbal which works great with my sjcam.

Hopefully these additions will work to continue to improve my videos.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Only one woodworking item this year, a second Harbor Freight 60 inch workbench. I currently have my first one supporting one of my lathe work stations, but I want that one back for my flat work surface so asked for a second to replace it.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Bill, how is that bench? I need a new work bench and I'm considering building one (laminated 2x4 top) to keep it cheap. Every time I see this bench at HF, it looks like junk, but has great reviews. I need a decent vise to hold work to plane it. How's the vise and does the bench rack?

I'm inclined to believe most of the reviewers aren't doing too much planing on it.

Sorry to hijack...
      Joe

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
        Veteran Member
        • Nov 2007
        • Buena Park, CA
        • CM 21829

Joey, I like the bench for my purposes. Fortified the one that I use for planing and I added two of the Harbor Freight 10-inch woodworking face vises to make sort of a Moxon vise of sorts. The top will not take a beating its not more than 5/8 or 3/4 inch thick, and there is some wrack in it if you plane hard, even more so for one that hasn't been reinforced. Follow this thread to the photos of how I added a front-end to reinforce the bench. I think this help take some of the wracking out of it.
        This forum is devoted to discussions about shop setup, layout and design. Topics here include wiring, wood and tool storage, floorplans, dust collection, and basically all the infrastructural stuff not directly related to specific projects and tools. Pictures of members' shops are welcome and encouraged.
        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

1. Well, I have already mentioned the G0462 Grizzly lathe. I still have not put it together. We will have 10 grandkids here until tomorrow (Thursday). And one daughter will be here through the weekend and wants full attention. She will get it.

In addition to the Grizzly, 4 others and myself went to the Monday Night Football game in Dallas. That was GREAT.

2. My birthday is always 2 weeks to the day after Christmas. I will be getting a Nova Chuck and the big Flat Jaws (sometimes called Cole Jaws) that go with it.

3. I also get two sets of (circle drawing) calipers - one 8 inch long and one 12 inch long set. I have been wanting a set of these for umpteen years but never saw them except online. I found the 12 inch ones at HF and ordered the 8 inch one from ebay.

Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Got a WW book that was nice but nothing in the tool arena this year. BTW the HF New Year Sale has a 25% coupon yesterday and today so you could get that bench for just over $100. It may be very basic but not bad for the price. I keep looking at it but I dont think it will work for my needs.
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• leehljp
              Just me
              • Dec 2002
              • Tunica, MS
              • BT3000/3100

I want to thank those that recommended for me to hold off of getting the HF lathe and get the 2hp Grizzly. Otherwise I was waiting on the New Years 25% coupon for their lathe. Glad I decided (along with LOML to get the better lathe. I have been battling a severe cold since just after Christmas and haven't had a chance to assemble my G0462 lathe.
              Hank Lee

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Bill in Buena Park commented
                Editing a comment
                Hope you feel better soon Hank. Looking forward to hearing your impressions of the new Grizzly!
            • JoeyGee
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • Sylvania, OH, USA.
              • BT3100-1

I decided to pass on that bench. It just seems too thin to me. I am just going to go the laminated 2x route. It should be fun to build when the weather gets warmer. I've seen quite a few decent vise options made out of pipe clamps that look fun to build.
              Joe

Comment

• cwsmith
                cwsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the HF bench and find it pretty nice. Even at that low price (I paid $129), it's surprisingly well built. The table top on mine is 3/4-inch thick, but it would take little effort to add thickness to the underside with either good ply or, better still, hardwood cross pieces under where the bench dog are. You could also run a stiffener between the front legs, under the drawers and likewise do the same to the back..

I've had my bench for about three years and it's held up well. While I have used it for hand planing and to hold stock for sanding, I can't say that I've put it under a lot of stress in doing so. Only problem may be if you intend to use any of the bench-dog accessories that are on the market, as those are usually for 3/4" and the HF bench holes are 5/8". I bought some 5/8" hardwood dowel for extra pegs.

CWS
                Last edited by cwsmith; 01-03-2017, 04:35 PM.
            • JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I may build the "new fangled workbench" for hand tool work. It's softwood, mdf, pipe clamps and simple joints. Designed by the shop manager at Fine Woodworking. You can google up the basic plans and an article describing it.

I got a Fein 350Q (I didn't think the QSL was worth the extra money) and a set of Bosch blades + the Bosch washer to help their blades work on other multi tools. I was disappointed with my Ryobi cordless and HF corded on a couple house projects - patching a oak floor and trimming a window frame. I've only briefly tested it but with the same blade the Fein cuts the oak flooring in about half the time. I also found that the wood Bosch blade also cuts the time in about half. So a wood/metal (bimetal) blade in the HF takes about a minute where the Fein with a wood only blade will do it in 15 seconds. A lot less vibration too making it easier to control. I need to test it on another frame, this time a doorway. The problem the other tools had for that was the vibration was so bad it was damaging the wall when I tried to trim the frame.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I recieved my late Christmas present from myself to myself today.

capncarl

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3742.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	828799

Comment

• trungdok
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2012
                  • MA

Well, why did you get that? It will just gonna sit in the corner of your shop collecting dust. Tsk tsk :P

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                    I recieved my late Christmas present from myself to myself today.

capncarl
                    The picture opened with me seeing only the top half and I thought you had some kind of a "PET" bottle!

OH Boy, that sure looks NICE!
                    Hank Lee

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Got a few woodworking items:

1) Wixey digital readout for my planer
                      2) new featherboard
                      3) Fancy glue bottle

The latter two were some cheap items I threw on my list. The first was something I've wanted for a long time but didn't know if it would be worth the $50. My wife got it for me.

Comment

Working...