• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Haven't Completely Lost My Touch

I recently took the course for my License To Carry. The final part is a proficiency test at the range. Unfortunately we had some unexpected rain that afternoon and the firing points were covered by shade cloth making the gun a bit hard to get a firm grip on when it and my hands got wet. Still don't think I did too bad for not having my .45 in my hands in almost a year.

The course would be almost impossible to fail. 20 rounds at 3 yards, 20 rounds at 7 yards, and the last 10 rounds at 15 yards. Everything inside the 8 ring scores 5 points, the 7 ring scores 4 points and anything else in the blue is 3 points. Required score to pass is only 170 out of a possible 250. I dropped 1 round low at 15 yards, giving me a 248. Thought about framing the target but it was too wet to save in good condition.

Might talk to them about reshooting the course for the fun of it sometime later on just to get a target in good condition. With better weather maybe get the grouping a little better at the 15 yard line.
    Last edited by Pappy; 08-09-2016, 09:03 AM.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I'm suprised at the number of shots required. Does this license permit you to carry concealed? There. Is nothing like a little range time.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
      • Dec 2005
      • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
      • Grizzly G1023SL

Just received my plastic today! If you are near McQueeny, the range there is very nice... too far for me but it's 1st class

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

"Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
      Bade Millsap
      Bulverde, Texas
      => Bade's Personal Web Log
      => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• thiggy
        Established Member
        • Sep 2003
        • Alabama.
        • Craftsman Contractor

Is a training course required in your state in order to receive a pistol license? Alabama just requires an application with a clean background check.
        SOW YOUR WILD OATS ON SATURDAY NIGHT - - - THEN ON SUNDAY PRAY FOR CROP FAILURE!

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

Carl, the Texas LTC covers both open and concealed carry. Businesses can ban all carry on their property, just concealed carry, or just open carry by posting specifically worded signs.

Bade, how long was the wait after you submitted all the documents? I can actually shoot in my back yard (Almost 1/2 acre). Just don't do it often out of respect for the neighbors. Would be nice to find a place nearby that didn't charge too much.

Thiggy, the classroom time is 4-6 hours plus the range time. Classroom focus is on gun safety and the laws relating to the use of deadly force.
          Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• BadeMillsap
            • Dec 2005
            • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
            • Grizzly G1023SL

Originally posted by Pappy
            Bade, how long was the wait after you submitted all the documents? I can actually shoot in my back yard (Almost 1/2 acre). Just don't do it often out of respect for the neighbors. Would be nice to find a place nearby that didn't charge too much.
            Don - funny you should ask ... for my wife and I and two friends all took the class at the same time ... for all BUT ME it was about 2.5 weeks until license in hand (did all submissions, payment etc electronically) ... in MY case ... I had failed to put a date on the form where it asks for date of competency (for some reason there are 3 places to date that form and I missed one) ... so it took about 6 weeks (they actually MAILED me a form showing my omission and I had to MAIL the corrected form back). I think TYPICALLY 3-4 weeks is the current turn around ... not surprisingly they are getting inundated with applications ... no politics here ... I heard one person in the class comment that the course was "more of a pump than a filter" ... can't argue with that!

Too far for you I know ... I've been shooting at a place called Ballistic Therapy ... but it's near Bergheim ... really nice people and INDOOR so weather never a problem.
            Indoor Gun Range in Boerne. Located in the Boerne Flags Business Park. CHL Classes, Pistol Instruction, Guns, Ammo and more...
            "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
            Bade Millsap
            Bulverde, Texas
            => Bade's Personal Web Log
            => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

The Ga firearm license requires no testing or training.i guess that they figure if you have made it this long you know how to shoot! Seeing some of the mouth breathers walking around like John Wayne with a pistol on their hip I wonder about the process! They did change part of the process that I think may scare off some applicants. In the past the probate office handled the whole process, go there, they fingerprint you, fill out forms, pay money and they do the background checks and sen you plastic. Now you go to the probate office and fill out forms and them take them to the county sherrifs office for fingerprints. Our county sherrifs office is at the jail and you wait in an unsavory waiting room full of all matter of society. Whenever the jailer gets around to it they come get you and parade you through the jail, past the drunk tank, down through the holding cells to a fingerprint station, 30 seconds for fingerprints and then march back past all the drunks and thugs! This is probably a routine that should be required to graduate high school. I do wonder how many ladies this process might scare off? It might cull more people than a test!
              capncarl

Comment

• Pappy
                The Full Monte
                • Dec 2002
                • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 (x2)

Got my license in the mail today. A little over 3 weeks from the time I submitted all the documentation. Now time to go to Cabelas and find holsters for the .45 and .32.
                Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
                  ...they come get you and parade you through the jail, past the drunk tank, down through the holding cells to a fingerprint station, 30 seconds for fingerprints and then march back past all the drunks and thugs! This is probably a routine that should be required to graduate high school. I do wonder how many ladies this process might scare off? It might cull more people than a test!
                  capncarl
                  Maybe the jailer is waiting to see if anyone in the tank yells out to the applicant, "Hey Bob, how's it going?" Then they can make a note in the application that they associate with criminals

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I did a little horse trading, someone wanted a couple of my Chinese SKS's. Lots of fun to shoot! And it's a bad looking gun. I figured I'd go ahead and get it before someone decides we shouldn't own them. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	827221

Comment

• JimD
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Lexington, SC.

My son took me shooting a couple fathers days ago. I shot the same target at 25 yards at the end and could keep his 45 in the black at 25, with every shot. I haven't done the CC test yet in SC but my wife has. It sounds the same. She did it with a 22. I would want to use a 45 - or at least a 9mm.

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by JimD
                        My son took me shooting a couple fathers days ago. I shot the same target at 25 yards at the end and could keep his 45 in the black at 25, with every shot. I haven't done the CC test yet in SC but my wife has. It sounds the same. She did it with a 22. I would want to use a 45 - or at least a 9mm.
                        We shot this type targets in the Corps at 15 / 25 yards. Except for one year shooting in the snow and mid-20's temps, I always fired expert.

LTC qualification in Texas has to be fired with a .32 or larger caliber.
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

Working...