• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Visiting Berea, KY and Branson, MO

It's time for our bi-annual family reunion and this year we are converging on Branson, MO--not that we have any family that even lives remotely nearby. My wife usually plans the excursions which is fine by me.

First stop is Berea, KY. She has family friends we will visit there but I'm more excited about going to the artisan center.--http://www.kentuckyartisancenter.ky.gov. When I took WWing classes at Palomar College in SD, one of our instructors who taught the chair making class, would drive to Berea every year with his trailer to pick up lumber for the class. I'm excited to be going, but bummed it won't be for very long because we have to get to Branson the same day for check-in and we'll have 2 kids in tow.

So what's there to do in Branson? We drove through it more than 20 years ago on the way to the Ozarks but didn't explore it. Hopefully there will be some woodworking stuff around there. My wife has the family stuff planned out

• leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Springfield is 35-40 miles north of Branson.

Springfield is the headquarters for BassPro and has a huge store to explore. A good place to spend a couple of hours or many hours. Several aquariums and one with live alligators; Clothing, food, hunting and fishing sporting goods.

Grizzly has one of its two USA warehouse showrooms in Springfield. Lots more than just Grizzly tools there too, but mostly Grizzly.

For Exotics and domestic wood, go to OP Hardwoods in Springfield.

Branson has Silver Dollar City close by - kinda like a 6 Flags.

Lots of craft like places;
    If you want to see some of the fine wood crafts such as carving and bowls turnings, there is a group of stores on the southwest corner of W-76 and Glory Road. One famous bowl turner, forget his name but I used to see it often, still has lots of things displayed there - for sale by his family. He passed away 4 or 5 years ago. I think the fellow had a quite a few turning tools under his name. I can't think of it at the moment.

Downtown area about half way up the hill is a famous Dime/ 10¢ Store, but nothing is a dime anymore. Lots of things to look at and kill an hour or three. Fairly entertaining the first time through.

Lots of Family entertainment shows. Plan in advance. There are TWO for One stores to buy tickets in several locations on the main road (76). Beware, often times on the two for one tickets, you need to go to the show a few hours in advance and put in your reservation. Full price usually includes a reservation. Discount prices mean you need to do that after purchasing the tickets. There may be other twists to this but they are not scams, just ways for large families to do more on less money.

Riverboat ride and dinner;
    Riverfront shopping with a small BassPro shop.

There is a series of shops in one center on the main drag

SHOWS: DON'T plan one show ending and another beginning within 30 minutes - you probably won't make it. Summertime traffic is fast walking speed on the main road. Get a map and look at the alternate routes from one place to another. Routes are coded red, blue etc. VERY Helpful.

Food: One place many people like is "Lamberts" where they throw the rolls. It is on the north exit of Ozark (town), 30 miles north of Branson and about 7 - 8 miles south of Springfield. I have been there one time and the food is good but they give you (me) too much. Warning, there is usually a line 30 minutes long to get in from 11 AM to the middle of the afternoon.

I have a daughter that lives in Ozark - that is the reason I am so familiar with all of that. There are other things around too, such as a large leather shop in Springfield; Cowboy boot shops Springfield and Branson.

Branson AREA - fishing, boating, swimming. ZIP LINES
    Last edited by leehljp; 07-25-2016, 11:53 AM.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Lee, thanks for the heads up on all that stuff.

I totally forgot Grizzly was out that way. I was spoiled because it was down the road from my parents' cabin in Muncy, PA, but that's gone now.

I'm pretty sure Sliver Dollar City is on the to-do list already. I'll have to check out the shows. My kids like those.

Comment

Working...